Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Speedball Special

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 25, 2008.

1. autobilly

autobilly

There ya go Woodguy!

PS. Best wishes with your fight.

2. 55chevy

55chevy

Loon? I resemble that remark, you old poop. Put that boat on golden pond and see if it floats.

I always liked cycle cars, one of the kit car mags had a series on building your own 3 wheeler, I have an extra Goldwing, hmm a woody cycle car........

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the era that that car was built there was usually a build your own sports car article in Popular Mecanics or one of the other similar magazines at the time every few months and often someone got a "Golden Hammer" award for his efforts.
    It looks like that car has the suspension and wheels of a Renault by the three lug wheels.

4. I thought you might like to see the cardboard mockup of the car I am building. My sister in New Zealand just loved the shot and gets it out to show visiters all the time. "look at the car my bro is building; wink wink" I think I am the laughing stock of the town. Note the lawn chair.

Attached Files:

5. NOT SURE WHAT THAT MEANS :confused:

THE LOONS DO FLY SOUTH FOR THE WINTER SEASON

NOT ALL MINNESOTANS DO THAT NOW WHO IS CRAZY?:eek:

6. proscriptus

proscriptus
    from Ver-mont

7. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

i just read an article in "Wood" magazine about the Splinter. It is using a Woven base and Resins.. everything else is INCLUDING the springs are basiclally pllywood, and resin, although they are using fairly exotic wood and every sheet in the ply is rotated something like 30 degrees to keep the grains at their strongest points.

I think its viable. it will be very much like a full Carbon Fibre car.

8. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

True craftsmen... If they can do that with wood, imagine what they could do with metal? Great stuff... Not my cup of tea, but still impressive.

9. rodknocker

rodknocker

10. The words "wooden car" usually don't do it for me, but, dang, this thing is pretty cool.

11. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

A small wooden car with a motorcycle engine? Sounds like this belongs on my thread with the Dudley Bug.

-Dave

12. 57dodge

57dodge

Having the intake that close to your head while driving sure would.....suck

13. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Frank Costin was an aircraft engineer in the '50s, and designed all the early aerodynamic bodies for Lotus sports racers and formula cars, as well as the Vanwall F1 cars and the Maserati coupe that Stirling Moss drove at LeMans.

After his work with Lotus and Lister ended, he designed an all-plywood GT coupe called the Marcos. The suitability of load-bearing high performance plywood body/chassis structures had already been proven by the DeHavilland Mosquito, which was a plywood bomber from WW2.

The body/chassis unit of Frank's Marcos prototype, including seats and glass, was less than 150 pounds, and the cars went like stink. Not very attractive -- OK, ugly -- but they worked really well.

14. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

Great profile on that car. As someone else said, done in aluminum it would be really cool. Sort of a CycleKart on steroids. I have always had a thing for cyclecars since the first time I saw a Morgan 3 Wheeler.

15. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Yeah, I just saw that too and was thinking maybe this thing is pretty cool, but not 100% sure. Have to admire it to some degree being vintage an all.

So, I do a hamb search and the first thread is this. Has nobody else noticed that? Odd. $30K, click of a button, and it can be yours tomorrow.

16. alsancle

alsancle

Very nice lines! Well done.

17. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

yeah and the HS isn't on a citroen cv3 chassis!!

18. Pretty cool.
    One of the contributing editors to Motor Trend in the mid eighties proposed a similar idea to the Hispano Suiza. Strip built sports touring car.

19. Road Runner

Road Runner

And who can forget good old Tschitti ... ?

A boat-plane-car for the whole family !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. junk fiend

junk fiend

hey i have that Mechanics Illustrated

Attached Files:

21. dumpt_cabrio

dumpt_cabrio
    from Prosper