Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. jimg12

jimg12

That is a great picture of Frank Lupto. Taken in the 40's? Are you connected some way with Frank?
    Jim Graybeal

2. the shadow

the shadow

sorry if this is re=post but check out the LIFE photos search option under this shortcut http://images.google.com/hosted/life , type in "automobile racing" and ther's alot of early open wheel action shots like this one
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paul

3. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

MAN!! You guys gotta watch this!! It's off topic kinda.. But it involves a lot of SLIDE-WAYS ACTION, Horsepower and DAMN GOOD DRIVING!!

This is the owner/founder of DC Shoes. Next time you see someone weraing a pair... Smile! This is what the money is going too!

Obviously a lot of practice runs and many takes.. But still, REALLY WELL PUT TOGETHER.

WOW! TURN UP THE VOLUME!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs-jAImScms

They should sell rides in that!! I like the door buzzer dinging at the end.. Just another door slamer!

JD

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  4. the shadow

the shadow

HOLY CRAP THATS SOME WHEEL HANDLING!:eek::eek::eek:

paul

5. SteveE

SteveE
    from Ohio

Wasn't his name Dickie Kelm?

6. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Anyone have any photos of Robert Roof's "Ford Flyer" sprint car from the early 1920s?

7. RSCA HISTORY

RSCA HISTORY

Looking for a photo of Grady Garner in 1924. Winner of first Sprint car race at the Reading Fairgrounds

8. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Thats reminds me of when they used to hold CORVETTE GYMKAHANA meets at the ERLANGER Cinema Parking lot back in the 70's, back then most of the vette guys would beat the eye's out of them. HUGE HUGE area of blacktop to shred, thank's for posting, the old man will get a kick out of that.

9. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

This may have been posted before, but I just found it. Classic Jud Larson at Reading...

[​IMG]

10. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Yes it was. Any info on him?

11. RSCA HISTORY

RSCA HISTORY

[​IMG]

MLIGHT9 asked me to submit this picture for you to see. Its the first race at Williams Grove. Enjoy

12. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Great pic, easy to see why W/G is often refered to as 2 dragstrips hooked together. What year was that? I'll bet there's a bunch of track owners/promotors that would be tickled to death to have 1/10 that crowd today.

13. May 1939. Crowd was supposed to be approx. 30,000+. very small circle above 3rd turn was our car. My Dad marked the clipping.

14. Circletrack 40

Circletrack 40

Like finding the name Dizz in a wheel, I had a Solar midget and when I dismounted a wheel it had the name Ayers written inside. I found out later the car came from Louisville Ky. Does anyone from that area remember the ( Ayers ) name?

15. jimg12

jimg12

Yes I do.
    His name was Bob Ayers, in later years everyone called him Pappy. For seveal years he ran a full Midget with a 60 in it. The last midget that Bill Cantrell drove was Bob's. In the early 60's he turned to TQ's. Roy Young was his main driver untill Roy got killed in a Sprint car at Eldora in June of 69. Roy and Bob won the UMRA championship one year. Bob always had real strong motors. His last TQ was a cut down KK full midget. Bob was WELL liked by all in TQ's and was an officer of the club when I was. His TQ's were numberd 9 and were a light yellow. Ancil Yager was Bob's son in law. Ancil won UMRA championship as well. Bud Hoppe from the St. Louis area drive Bob' full midget some.
    Jim Graybeal

16. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Jim! Good to see you today! hope you had a good time, Sorry I had to run so suddenly.. I got a text message that I had to get back to the shop and meet another guy. But, I figured you and Zakira Jim would get along fine!

See ya around,

JD

------------------------

That Williams Grove picture is GREAT! I'd still like to see the one I saw as well if anyone has it..

Thanks.

JD

17. jimg12

jimg12

Josh,
    I had a great time. THANKS for all you did. Sorry I took so much time out of ou busy day. Hope you get the car done in time.
    Thanks again,
    Jim

18. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Jim, I just got an e-mail from Judy Ates telling me that Ray Gross passed away at about 5:00 p.m. today (Tuesday). She said to tell anybody I felt should know, but you're about the only one I can think of who was there in those days. I felt saying something here would mean something to a lot of guys who knew him as Sonny's car owner in the UMRA TQs back in the early 60s.

19. 8889coupe

8889coupe

well i did some re-arranging in my garage, i figured i would go ahead and post a couple pics, you all already have seen the #48 champ car its coming along i got all the drivetrain in it, but the car next to is the Hart&jones sprinter im working on it now, hope you all like the pics i also have a pic of some of my wheels and tires....

Attached Files:

20. jimg12

jimg12

Thanks John,
    Judy emailed me also, I was getting ready to let you know. Ray was a great person and Flagman. I drove for him once in the same car Sonny drove. He will be missed by many.
    Jim Graybeal

21. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Glad she told you too, Jim. I just now went back and read the note about Bob Ayers. That one brought back some memories.

22. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

So that is where all the tires and wheels I'am looking for are, LOL

"Doc" Parsons

23. Circletrack 40

Circletrack 40

Was Ray Gross the same guy that Bobby Black drove sprints for?

24. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

shadow, Do you know the location of the indoor arena in the first picture? My dad used to take me down to the Cleveland (OH) Arena where they used to run midgets and flat track motorcycles when the Barons hockey team wasn't playing. Anyone else remember that? Anyone got any pics of those races?

25. weathrmn

weathrmn

The indoor arena could be the old Atlantic City Convention Hall. They used to run T/Q's there in January, and one time around 1980 they ran full midgets.

They have started the program again in the new Convention Hall.

26. Now there's a trophy girl!

Attached Files:

27. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

That Arena is not Atlantic City Convention Hall, and yes Rackel Welch was a trophy girl at Balboa stadium in San Diego in the day!

28. bill wallace

bill wallace

Bobby Black drove for Mike Gross out of Middeltown Ohio. Mike died this past year from cancer his son Kevin the year before who owned a midget that ran in USAC & Shane Cottle had driven in the recent past. They had been very active in the midwest since the 50s with sprint & midgets & had many well known drivers over the years.

29. Circletrack 40

Circletrack 40

Bill Wallace---- Sorry to here of Mike's passing. Do you know if the guy we called Blue is still alive?