Register now to get rid of these ads!

HOT ROD LINCOLN---BUILD--1937 zephyr

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by helmsville, Nov 19, 2008.

1. helmsville

helmsville

ok here is the direction of this build, i love Henrys zephyr and the John Joyo's car that he is painting, and would of loved to have built it first,but i dont want to copy some one build, so i was taking to my friend Odin and he drew up a pic of a HOT ROD lincoln and we went to work, so what do you guys think. the motor will be the lincoln V12 with ulum. head's Edmond's duel manafold, stock center dump exhaust manafolds,dougnash 5 speed,and my quick change out of my 29 model A. like i said the tail drager thing has been done to death with this car, so im going for a HOT ROD!

Attached Files:

2. helmsville

helmsville

this is were it goes hot rod

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. realgonekatt

realgonekatt

Where the hell did you find a zephyr?!?! f'n tits man!! the most georgeous body ever!! keep em posted man..

4. helmsville

helmsville

here is sum more with, doug nash quick change

Attached Files:

5. helmsville

helmsville

quick change

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  6. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Cool ass car. No need for any stretching, that's for sure. Also think the hot rod vs. custom is a very good idea - long and mean, no skirts.

7. twofosho

twofosho

If you really want to get the proportions right you could always take it down with a 4" section just below the beltline, lengthen the hood and front fenders 12", shorten the body ahead of the rear fenders a like amount, and put on a Carson or Hall looking convertible top. Might as well mount the spare tire at the rear of the body and square off the trunk while you're at it.
    Oh wait!, Gregory and Edsel Ford already did that in 39.

Just kidding, kudos for keeping the V12 and not succumbing to the bowtie brigade.

8. Thats looking great. Are you going to use those wheels and caps? They look just perfect on there.

9. The concept looks like a VW bug.

10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

wow!
    What a cool project. I'd love to have one of those. Yours is perfect for a slight custom mod.

11. myke

myke
    from SoCal

Cool. I like the stance!

12. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

looking good man! Gimme a ring today if you get a chance.

13. Very nice,,,, but PLEASE,,,,,,don't put a sbc in it. Stick to a Lincoln engine

14. helmsville

helmsville

the guy had a shop 150by100 foot shop full of zephers and part's in a little town of skamakaway washington but he only had one three window

15. studematt

studematt

That is going to be one cool ride. I like how it looks without skirts.

16. helmsville

helmsville

yes i will put the V-12 back in it is being rebuilt right now, it has stock scripted uluminum heads,edmonds duel carb manafold the carbs are scriped zephyr v-12 too. it should be a cool motor. i had to look at fifty exhust manafold to find center dump's that's prety cooll

17. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Here's a vote for the hot rod style.
    I'm kinda doin it with a 40 coupe (again)

I really like the look you got going,
    and the build list is impressive.

Are you going to build your own tranny adapter or is there one already made?
    Are you using a stock frame or is one being made up?
    What is your front suspension choice?

thanks

TP

18. Turnerinc.

Turnerinc.
    from Kelso

Helms, car looks great, think the tin work is really the next phase of the build, then we can finish the chassis mods but I have a couple of ideas that I am sure will really make for one hell of a setup. See ya on Friday.

19. Fenders

Fenders

Ha ha "hot rod lincoln" you know the car in the song was a Model A !!

20. VanHorton

VanHorton

i love those cars man... You have the right ideas, ill definatly be watchin this one.

21. tomslik

tomslik

we're supposed to be getting a 39 zepher delivered to the shop friday, the boss thinks he wants it and that'll mean i'll end up working on it.
    keep us in mind for parts;)

22. helmsville

helmsville

Hi im going to use stock frame it's a unibody i will box it, it will have a drop axle and the tran's i will need a adapter from flat head to ford or chevy tran's the dougnash goes ether way

23. studhud

studhud

Why the doug nash tranny? I put a T5 in my zephyr with speedway type adapter worked out killer. I am just not sure what the advantage of the doug nash is? Also the T5 is physically smaller-fit under the seat area just but it fit. With a new trans cover of course. With the doug nash being soo long it will be in the seat frame I think:confused: have you mocked it up? Good luck with the car Dave

24. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I've got to agree with Studhud here. The t5 is a super easy swap behind the V 12. I used a kit from Cornhusker that was a breeze. Using an early Chevy S-10 Trans. I was curious why you'd box the frame with the v-12. With every mod in the book you'll still only have less than 300 hp. Not a whole lot of twisting going on. Step up to a modern small block 400 plus hp then maybe box the front half. The Zephyr frames are pretty rugid. I pulled my body off in prep for an Alston chassis and figured I'd save the 7 grand and use the original.

Either way it's gonns be a Bitchin ride!

P.S. Don't try that at home!:D

Attached Files:

25. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I do have to say I love the rod look rather than another taildragger I'm taking a different approach myself.

Attached Files:

26. 'nother vote for hot rod style...man that is a nice score

27. helmsville

helmsville

thank's it's funny that U guys brought up the tranny thing, we were talking abought that today, its very important that i run the stock seat (its very cool) so i will look into what you say, i might go back to the lincoln stock tranny and use the columbia axle in the rear. what do you guys think? but i am for sure, going Hotrod stance. Hey i want to thank you guy's for your coment's there is a lot of year's of experience on this site and i DO NOT WANT TO SCREW THIS CAR UP it deserves the best build i can do. thank's again Chris.

28. Dueceburnout

Dueceburnout

theres i T-5 sitting here if yo want to check the lengths. it 12" from the mount to the shifter. and i thought you were using the columbia. and just tell them its a plastik body that you made to look rusty. get back to work.

29. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

Great start on a great looking car.

30. Vic

Vic
    from Florida

That sure is a nice coupe. I've been working on our '39 Zephyr Convertible... Still have a way to go. Good luck with your build.
    [​IMG]