Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods NoSurf's Coupe - Weekend 'Thrash' Results! - Photos and Story

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malcolm, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Jeff (Hiboy32), and I made the trek down to Jay's this past weekend to help work on his coupe. Kerry, Beemer, and his dad also came over to help out.

For those that may have missed it, Jay had an unfortunate accident a few weeks ago. Here's his thread about the accident:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=305549&highlight=jay+accident&showall=1

We all had a great weekend and made some good progress on Jay's new chassis. Jay, his wife Angie, and his daughters Sophia and Amelia showed us some great Kansan hospitality and fed us well. Great people - Thanks for having us!... Although I think your chilli will have lasting effects on us :eek::D

Time for some photos and words to go with them!...

Jeff and I left Omaha early on Saturday morning and met Jay and Kerry at this old salvage yard. It was unreal how much pre-war tin was there!
    I'll include one photo from that stop and the rest will be in another thread...
    [​IMG]

It was 3:00 when we finally got going on Jay's car, but made good progress.

Here's what we started with - Jay had already removed the body
    [​IMG]

Carnage
    [​IMG]

Jeff and Kerry getting to work
    [​IMG]

We made quick work of getting the engine/trans out
    [​IMG]

Kerry, Jay, Beemer
    [​IMG]

The next step was to remove the axles, engine mounts, useable crossmembers, steering, etc.
    [​IMG]

Jay had made a rect. tube kick-up/Z at the rear and that part was unharmed, so Jeff set out to separate it from the old frame
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bar tacked in place to keep it square
    [​IMG]

(be patient, more to come)

Malcolm

2. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Sophia was out there with us for quite a while throughout the afternoon - what a cutie!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next we (mostly Beemer's dad :D) cut all un-needed brackets, crossmembers, etc. from the new AA truck frame
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kerry working the hammer/chisel
    [​IMG]

Beemer and his dad had to get going, and we continued on with getting the new frame ready.

Measurements were made to cut the back part of the rails of - to match it up with the old Z. Kerry was assigned torch duties and cut it apart
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's time for lunch - I'll finish afterwards :D.... (sorry)

3. McFly

McFly

Cool...glad to see Nosurf getting the car back on the road.

4. Glad to see you guys making progress. As usual I heard it didn't go without a attached story, somethin about a freeze plug !! >>>>.

5. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

Thanks for posting the story, I love that car.

6. good work guys,nice to see hambrs helping hambrs

7. Looks like Kerry is doing a good job of holdin' that frame down.

8. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I'll back up just a little...
    Before Beemer and his dad left, we gave Jeff a little gift for his coupe.

A couple weeks ago, Jay sent me a PM to be on the look-out for a '32 grille and shell to give to Jeff. Well, only a few days later, Jay had already located an original insert that needed just a little work. He also got an original shell that had been sectioned and widened - it came from his friend Mike (BarnFindT) in Colorado. The shell was on an old Hot Rod, so it's pretty cool to have some history behind it. It is now in a few pieces, but we are confident that Jeff can piece it back together and fill in the gaps. It will be a great addition to his '32 5-window! Jeff has helped us both out a ton, so this is the least we could do for him.

Jeff had no idea this had been planned and was pretty surprised and excited, to say the least... He was even caught caressing the grille later that night! :eek::D

I think he liked the "Hello Kitty" wrapping paper the best... haha :D
    (video is a little dark...)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now back to work!!

It was time to drag the new frame into the shop, get it on some jackstands and take some more measurements
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Proof that I did actually help out and not just take photos haha :)
    [​IMG]

Getting the engine mounts in place
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jay also trimmed the front crossmember to clear the crank pulley
    [​IMG]

Mounts tacked in place - time to set the engine/trans in!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

....crap, gotta head to a meeting now.... More to come!

10. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

yeah! nice so far. keep 'em comin'...

11. NoSurf

NoSurf

Great pics so far Nick.

What an epic day.

Thanks so much for everyone that made it to help out! Jeff and Nick coming down from Omaha, Kerry from Inman and Chris from Topeka. His Dad Von came to help out also, he had helped me put the coupe motor together.

We got a ton of stuff done for having goofed off half the day LOL!!!!

12. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I'm suddenly feeling all warm and fuzzy...good job guys...:cool:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

looks like good fun!!!

14. Plowboy

Plowboy

Looks to me like Jay needs to quit being a tight ass and get some heat. ha ha ha

15. NoSurf

NoSurf

We all can't work in the shop in our speedos like you.....:D

16. Thirtycoup

Thirtycoup

nice to see this rebuild moving right along!!

Jay, thanks for the call last weekend, it was great talking you again and hearing about all the donations of time and parts to bring that car back together. Your still planning on that february trip up north? If so then don't forget to hook up that heater, your going to need it!! Good luck with the rebuild.

Malcomb.... thanks for taking the time to put all the pictures together and get the thrash posted here, that car will be a nice ride again,
    can't wait to see it up and running once more. mike

17. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

damn jay, i havent heard that you wrecked :( i guess thats what i get for not being in circulation since november 3rd :D if you need anything else dont hesitate to give me a shout, im not much of a mechanic, but i sure can lift some heavy stuff :D hahahaha (785-787-5841)

18. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Around 11:00 Kerry had to head for home, so he loaded up, hooked on his cool FED trailer that he's building and hit the road.

About 5 minutes later, Jay got a phone call - Kerry was broke down! He thought he possibly blew a radiator hose, so we grabbed a flashlight, some water, a screwdriver, and a small section of hose that Jay had laying around.

Just a few miles down the road, we found Kerry in the dark and shed some light on the situation
    [​IMG]

He proceeded to add some water to the radiator to see where it was leaking.
    [​IMG]

Come to find out, he had lost a freeze plug. He actually had one with him and it was the right size! Now the reason he had it with him is this - He was goin to bend a hoop for the rail he's building, while at Jay's, but ran out of time. He was going to fill the tube with sand and cap the ends with freeze plugs (welded, of course). Well, maybe Kerry was lucky we didn't have time to work on his hoop project - he wouldn't have had a freeze plug to fix his car! :D

Here's the roadside repair - It wasn't even 15 minutes, and he was back on the road :cool:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple more photos of Kerry's cool wagon
    [​IMG]

My attempt at night-time 'long exposure' photography :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

The FED trailer
    [​IMG]

19. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry I was out of town. I could have um... called from Kansas City instead of New York.

Looks like things are progressing.

20. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

We headed back to Jay's to get a few more things done on his chassis.

Before we set the engine in, we had actually squared up the rear 'Z' with the new frame and measured, measured, and measured again. We made sure it was all square and Jay tacked and plug welded the 'Z' to the new frame.
    [​IMG]

His big old Arc welder was used for some of the work and I think he'll finish welding the 'Z' section with it
    [​IMG]

That pretty much covers the work that we got done on Saturday. We felt pretty good about the progress that we had made and called it a night around 1:30. The rest of the project should be pretty straight forward and Jay will be driving his coupe again in no time! :)

This photo shows how bent the old rails are. Being an AA truck frame, they are pretty stout, so it took quite a hit to bend them like this
    [​IMG]

The body, patiently waiting to be on the road again
    [​IMG]

A few other things we got done throughout the day----

Replaced the right side water pump, since the mount broke off the old one
    [​IMG]

Jay showed me how to reverse the main leaf of the spring I'll be using on my 'A' project. He and Kerry helped me get the job done
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Checked out some other 'projects' around Jay's place
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Jeff and I were fed a great breakfast the next morning and headed for home.

Right when we got on I80, we were passed by this!! :eek:
    I caught up with him and he was doing 80, flat-towing this Lincoln!
    It looked like a really solid car and had California black plates on it. The truck had Missouri plates.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That pretty much covers our trip to Kansas to help Jay!
    I'm really glad we were able to help him out some and even more glad he was willing to have us down there! :D I know I enjoyed it and actually learned a few things while we were at it.

Jay, good luck getting everything back together and let us know if you need anything! I hope to see you passing through Omaha in February! :D

Malcolm

22. autobilly

autobilly

Good work, look forward to seeing her done.

23. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

nice. i love it.

find any more sheep's heads?

24. fleetbob50

fleetbob50
    from Waco,Texas

i'D LIKE TO SEE ANOTHER PHOTO OF THE CLOSED DRIVE HOOKUP AND THE TRANNY AND HOW IT ALL CAME ABOUT, WHAT IT'S OUT OF, ECT, HOMEMADE OR STOCK FROM SOMETHING ELSE?

25. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

Hey Nick,
    Great job going to KS to help out one of the good guys. We worried about Jay when he moved West. Leaving a support system on the East coast. Well, we'll worry no more.

I can see that it was a good idea Jay had to use the AA frame. Just think how wrinkled his frame would be if it was a passenger car frame.

Jay, keep future progress pics coming.You'll be ready to drive that baby to ty-rods in September or the 10th annual Gathering in October. Just keep it going in a straight line.

26. NoSurf

NoSurf

This thread may answer some of your questions:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247231

27. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Jay, glad you're getting it back together, That frame looks a lot worse than the pics of the wreck would have led me to believe.

A good crew can get a lot done in a couple days.

It was good to see Kerry wearing long pants when welding. The freeze plug story is priceless, Kerry, you live a charmed life dude!

28. NoSurf

NoSurf

Mike, Mark, Paul, GV- Thanks for the props guys! What can I say? I have some great friends!

29. It was a blast!

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the great chili and not so great after affects. ;-D

BTW Mike, I was glad to hold the frame down. Gotta stick with what I'm good at.

It was a bit to nipply to be working in shorts George. Having the right freeze plugs along was pretty cool.

30. Kerry -
    You never cease to amaze me, your ability to break down and get back on the road! radiators, pulleys, freeze plugs....................geez

Someone is watchin out for you!!!