Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Ok tell us more... Full story please...
    Dave ;)

2. SteveE

SteveE
    from Ohio

I see you made it SuperDuke, welcome aboard, you will really enjoy it, you will bring a wealth of knowledge from the 60 & 70's era to the forum. By the way Duke, I believe it's your birthday tomorrow ,November 22nd.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  3. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  4. jmcintosh

jmcintosh

Guys I rember theis car when I was a very young man. Duane was driving it at Salem an the left front wheel hardly ever touched the ground. I can stll some 55 yrs later close my eyes an see it.

5. stagernwings

stagernwings
    from tx

yes along with 1200 mini sprints winged and not . yamaha enduro karts , also modifieds and tested a formula mazda .c

6. jimg12

jimg12

I think Pancho the boy was named after Pancho the car.
    Wecome aboard superduke.
    Jim Graybeal

7. Not quite sure you get what he is implying.

8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

9. RangerGuy

RangerGuy
    from Iowa

Thanks for your interest and photos. (and wheels1950)
    I think the photos Wheels1950 took must have been when it was being pulled behind my dad's motorhome on the way home from Webster City. Mr. Cunningham left the car to a friend and I to care for and continue racing in vintage events. As much as we love the car we'd prefer he was still with us.
    Gene drove that car until he was age 82 and whooped us wherever we went.

10. RangerGuy

RangerGuy
    from Iowa

Looks like you've had a few months to get acquainted with your Ranger. I've been involved with running/maintaining Gene Cunningham's Ranger for about 35 years. It's been on the track for 50 years and is still going strong.
    These engines were all converted for racing a little different, but I'm here to help if you need it.

11. jimg12

jimg12

That is what this is all about. I have been wrong all these years. It is very important to keep things the way they realy happened. Thanks for setting me [and maybe a few others] straight.
    Jim Graybeal

12. racer5c

racer5c

Super Duke

Attached Files:

13. racer5c

racer5c

Duke, didn't you drive this car???

Attached Files:

14. RangerGuy....I took this photo at an IMCA Oldtimers event at Arlington, MN many years ago.

Attached Files:

15. cheezburgers

cheezburgers
    from indiana

Happy Birthday SUPERDUKE !!!!!!!!!

16. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Happy Birthday, Duke!!!

17. PK

PK
    from Ohio

Amen!
    PK

18. JMSports

JMSports
    from Bay Shore

Marty is 69, not "in his 70's".

I'm his grandson who lives with him at the Himes Museum in Bay Shore, NY.

He doesnt take the car anywhere because he doesnt get offered any help. Im sure you guys would love to hear the Frankie Cal Offenhauser run at New Hampshire or Williams Grove or Latimore Valley, but because there isnt anyone who will offer him any help getting the car in an out of the office trailer it sits in, and restore the car (because it was involved in a fire the museum had in 2002), he just doesnt attempt it.

Personally id love to see him take any of the Offenhausers he has out to a nice dirt track, but sadly it costs too much now'a'days, and Marty has a hard time getting many visitors or even donations.

If you are interested in coming to the Museum, visit TheHimesMuseum.com or call 1-631-666-4912.

Thanks, Mike Johnson

19. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Thanks! I will. I'm assembling the that car on Saturdays.. and any other day I get free.

--------------------------

Killer picture of DUKE above.. Made me hungry!

UNION JACK!!! I LOVE THAT PLACE!!

Back when we started this thread, I found a lot of pictures of the helmets in that collection on line and wanted to post them, but they were blocked, and could not be copied. If you have never been there, GO!! The helmet collection is UNBELIVABLE!! BIG NAMES, from new SIMPSON RX's to Open face visor helmets.. Unser, Stapp, A.J., Hewitt, ... EVEN one REAL cool one that says "Roy Caruthers":D

Roy, Whats the guys name that owns that collection?

20. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

RICHCRAFT MIKE sent me this. Some of you have probably seen it, I heard about it..

CLEAR THE KIDS OUTTA THE ROOM (Language) and turn up the volume!!

WHY WE LOVE JACK HEWITT!!!

http://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=11249

Click on this, scroll down and click on the "play" button.

JD

21. racer5c

racer5c

Roy, Whats the guys name that owns that collection?[/QUOTE]

Ron Burton, he is a pretty famous artist Josh surprised you didn't know that you being an artist and all, his dad was a sprint car/roadster driver who had fast time at Anderson for the little 500 and then was killed the same day in a roadster at Kokomo, his brother Dale Burton is one of the best sign painters who ever lived, and his other brother Larry Burton was a mechanic/fabricator at Indy and had something to do with aircraft also, the amazing thing about Larry is that he contracted polio and is in a wheel chair, but he is an amazing guy, he can do anything a guy with 2 legs can and more, another one of my heros

22. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Oh yeah, Roy. Ron is an incredible artist. I was honored that he did a couple of program covers for us.

23. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Great video, Josh. I'm glad Jack never had reason to get that mad at me when I was flagging. I checked the rest of the thread and noted a reference to Shorty Miller. One of the best, and he and I were really good friends.

My best experience with Jack was interviewing him one May at IRP, and I asked why he shaved the mustache. He said, "Well, I was kissing so much a** over at the Speedway trying to get a ride that I couldn't keep it clean."

24. fairlane2k

fairlane2k
    from Oregon,USA

OK
    I couldnt stand it anymore....
    I dug up some pics of my Dads Sprint Car and scanned them.
    I dont know a lot about the car because it was long gone by the time I was born.
    What I do know about this car...

Ranger Aircraft Engine
    Hilborn Injection
    Torsion Bar Suspension
    Mazarati Tail section
    Last raced @ Great Falls, Montana 1969 - the car was destroyed when it flipped end over end 7 times,almost killed the Old man. but he lived to race again! Somewhere there is NewsReel footage of the accident...he has talked to people who saw it...I'd kill to see it myself.

Attached Files:

25. I need help. I SHOULD know this, but I forgot. Is there a proper formula for hanging a Jacobs Ladder on an openwheel dirt car?

26. Ebert

Ebert

Dale Burton is AWESOME...he did the engine-turned scallops on my track roadster. He did the work out of Galen Fox's shop at the time. Turns out that he pinstriped my Dad and Uncle's cars in high school!!!!! How about that?!?!?!?

27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Maybe this will help:

Attached Files:

28. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons