Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where to stay for the GNRS ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OL 55, Nov 21, 2008.

1. I have been out to the GNRS twice, but since I am from the right coast, I can never seem to get it right when it comes to finding a neat place to stay that is right in the heart of the action. Can some of you locals or "old pro" travelers give me some ideas? :confused:
    It would be really cool if I could find a place that rent's hot rods!!! :D Thanks -- Andy

2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

3. The comfort Suites in San Dimas is the place to stay. Google it. Nice place, nice area, close to food, and 10 minutes from the show. And better rates than the Sheraton.

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

This year Megan and I stayed at the Sheraton that Randy just mentioned. It's on the same grounds which makes it VERY convienant to walk to the show and the NHRA museum. There is a very nice bar in the lobby with folks always milling around in there and the actual lobby itself. very easy to find car folks to talk to no matter what time of the day or night.

The price was very reasonable for the quality of the place and the time frame. If you do stay elsewhere, please keep in mind you will then have to pay for parking each day at the show so that daily cost should be taken into account.

5. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

I've stayed at both and for my money, the Comfort Suites in San Dimas is the place to be. The owner is a great guy and, most days, is on site and very available. He has a complimentary breakfast that includes a chef to make you what you want to eat, not what is in the steamer trays! He also has an open bar from, I believe, 4:30PM to 7:30PM. Be very careful of this place, as the booze flows freely. I tried navigating to the Cafe Del Sol, just up the street from the Inn, and it wasn't a pretty site. Too much free booze will do that to a fella!

The rooms aren't quite as nice as the Sheraton, but the prices are definitely better. Also, there are always people who stay there every year for the show, so you will be amongst like-minded sickos.

Wherever you stay, enjoy the show...

6. when I went to the GNRS in 2007, I planned way late and all the chain motel/hotels were booked and weekend pricey. I drove around the Fairplex area and found a small, independent motel called the Claremont Lodge (Claremont Ca.), ten minutes east of the Fairplex, nice and clean, no bar or lounge, $85.00 per night for Friday, Sat and Sun., fuel and eat places within 3 blocks, safe looking area. Regardless of time of day, I took the city streets and was at the Fairplex or motel in 10 minutes. If, I go this year, I will try them again.
    Good luck.

7. Sheridan is booked solid. Three of us east coasters have rooms at the Comfort Suites Dean suggested.

8. OLLIN

OLLIN

what about the shilo inn? its down the street and clean. stay away from the ones on or near Holt, they tend to be kinda seedy.

9. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Doubletree in Clairmont .. 5 min drive

10. axle

axle
    from Drag City

There a lot of Hotels/Motels in the area but of course the closest being the Sheraton - located right on the fairplex.

11. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Alot of guys from around here stay at the Red Roof in San Dimas. I stayed in Diamond Bar a couple years ago, it's close by but navigating around there was confusing and there was nowhere to eat.

12. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

When I went last year ... I was taking my 32 roadster in a enclosed trailer ... 2500 miles 1 way :) ... so we stayed at the Best Western in Ontario. It is on N. Vineyard Ave. They had room for the trailer. Lots of good food places within walking distance ... and the motel is just off I-10 ... and has easy access to the Fairplex area. IF you are flying in ... it is close to the Airport ( not LAX ) .

The Best Western has 154 rooms, each equipped with a refrigerator, microwave, cable satellite television with HBO® and high-speed Internet access. They have a complimentary continental breakfast each morning or they have a adjacent family restaurant, open 24 hours a day.

13. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

if your doing the whole budget thing puddingstione lake right up the street has camping trailers for rent for cheap. and you get to go fishing... 5 minutes max. from pomona fairplex
    and a great place to bbq

14. ramzoom

ramzoom
    from California

Posted this in another forum but here it goes again....
    The Sheraton is nice and on the grounds...
    The Red Roof in San Dimas is ok kinda tucked back in a dark corner and I did see some construction going on around the hotel....not my first choice.
    Claremont is nice just stay away from anything right along the 10 fwy...you dont want anything just south of the 10 freeway from the 15 to the 57 fwy's.
    The Shilo Inn in Diamond Bar is nice but you will drive to eat unless you like Wendys....
    The Hampton Inn located in Chino Hills is in a nice area and has lots of room to park..there are several food choices from Sushi to mexican to BBQ..there is also a nice new theatre in the same parking lot to catch a movie after the show.. The parking is very open so dont worry about movie goers parking next to your car..you can easily park away as the hotel sits off to the side. If the wife is coming there is plenty of shopping in Chino Hills as well as a ton of restaurants within 1-5 minute drive. Easy acces to the 71 expressway which takes about 5-10 minutes tops to get to the Fairgrounds..and it is pretty much a straight shot. The hotel is approx. 1 year old. Dont know the rates...If I was coming from out of town I would stay at the Sheraton or the Hampton Inn..if you want somwhere to eat and shop when your not at the show stay at the Hampton Inn. And no I do not work there I live nearby and grew up in La Verne next to Pomona and know the area.

15. we stay here all the time,swapmeet,la roadster show etc...clean never any problems and close to in-n-out burger oh and a new dennys in the lot next door

16. Well thanks everyone for all the info. Now I just have to see what's available and shit or get off the pot !!:rolleyes:....

17. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

I know you are looking for a place to stay and I have already told you about my choices, but I did not tell you about where NOT to stay! That would be the Best Western in San Dimas, just around the corner from the Comfort Suites. This place was a certifiable shit hole!!! The rooms were just filthy. I really hate to think why the bed spreads were crispy! I wouldn't stay there again - ever.

Another possibility, if you are still looking for a room, would be the Extended Stay, also in San Dimas. A nice place...

18. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

crispy bed spreads thats some funny shit right there!

19. Thanks for the heads up. It's just as important to know where NOT to stay!! I was thinking that more local guys would chime in with some ideas, but I guess if they're local, they don't need to know where to stay, do they?!:D

20. There is the Lemon Tree. Cheap. Interesting. Nice view of the freeway.

21. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

"The Shilo Inn in Diamond Bar is nice but you will drive to eat unless you like Wendys...."

Doesn't the Shilo Inn include breakfast at the sports bar right next door? It did the last time we stayed there for the Winternationals...

Another place to consider is the Fairfield Inn right off I15 and close to the Ontario Airport. It is an easy on-easy off arrangement and really isn't too far from Pomona. Prices are fair. Lots of places to eat very close by.