Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT-Schwinn StingRays

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JamesG, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamesG

JamesG

That's right boy's and girls, the bikes that we all grew up with. Jumping wooden ramps held up with cinder blocks, trying to go higher and farther jump to impress your buddies. No ,not the girls, but your buddies, girls were still yucking at this time........

The reason I brought this up is that I am wanting to buy my nine year old a vintage Schwinn Stingray. I would try and find him one of the re-issues that came out last year, but they are very hard to find now and just as much a a pretty nice '68 model.

He hit me up a couple of years ago at a car show about building him a lowrider bike after seeing one at that show. Well, I decided that buying him a StingRay and restoring it or just keeping it nice if it's in good shape would be way cooler. He also has said that he would like to displat it with my '61 Impala when we go to shows aor cruise nights.

I've searched Ebay and have found some but between the higer prices and untrusworthieness of some of those on thier I would turn to my friends here on ther Hamb and see what you guys had as far as bikes, sites and any info that would help me.

It's funny, I've been searching the Net for several days now with not much luck, but the cool thing is all of the great memories this has brought back for me.

Thanks.

For reference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  2. I built this one in 1991 out of a 75 stingray frame, a NOS sturmy 3 speed hub, and a 69 3 speed stick shift.

I used to work an an old Schwinn dealer in DC. Worked there for 6 years. It had been in the same spot since 48.

[​IMG]

3. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

PM JimA...he's a collector

4. JamesG

JamesG

Thank you!

5. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

I've been collecting, restoring and selling Schwinn Stingrays for about 10 years. E-mail me at [email protected] I've got a couple for sale including a 68 5 speed in blue. Gary

6. wvenfield

wvenfield

I just picked one up the other day. Blue 3 speed with the high sissy bar and pad. Original wide white slick that's as hard as a rock but holds air. Not perfect.

I can get pics tomorrow if you are still looking. $200 plus whatever it is to ship it.

PM me if so.

7. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Im not sure if this was a schwinn but its cool, somebody posted it on here with some car show pics,I bet this guy was the envy of all his friends!
    I bought my daughter the black schwinn chopper with flames etc.a few years ago,she may have rode it three times (she didnt like trying to ride it compared to a regular bike) so it sits in storage waiting for my five year old son to give it a try???

Attached Files:

8. I have a Schwinn Convertible that I'm going to customize (it's a Girls Sting Ray with a removable top bar) I'm going to make up some custom graphics for the chain gaurd when it's done, the schwinn font spelling out "Hermaphrodite"

You can see it hanging upside down in the upper right corner...
    [​IMG]

I also have a Columbia Muscle bike that I put a big enough sissy bar and seat post so that a 6'2" guy can ride it. Someday it will be restored proper and get a Fat Lucky seat.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  9. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Love them Stingrays!!! I have a dozen or so, mostly Krates, and most of the reissues as well. Also a few Dynos. Just another junkie...... :)

10. skottyknukkles

skottyknukkles

heres one of my toys enjoy! i also have a few others i maybe selling soon. <center>
    [​IMG]<br><br>
    [​IMG]<br><br>
    [​IMG]<br><br>
    [​IMG]<br><br>
    [​IMG]<br><br>
    [​IMG]<br><br>
    [​IMG]<br><br>
    </center>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  11. squirrel

squirrel

I'm an old geezer so I ride an old geezer bike...this one came from my inlaws, my wife's granddad rode it when it was new in the mid 50s.

[​IMG]

Never could afford to actually buy a bike when stingrays were hot, although my brother who had a paper route had an off-brand in the late 60s.

I mostly got to ride the old Hornet, which at that time was about as undesireable as it got.

12. Drive Em

Drive Em

Here is my '68 Orange Krate:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

.....and this is my NOS '68 Sears Screamer 3 speed:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Heres a picture of the bike i just finished rebuilding, but it ain't no schwinn. I found it on the roadside collection about 4 weeks ago rusty as hell, Painted it , new wheels,tyres handle bars and chain got some steel wool to the shiny stuff and called it done.[​IMG]

14. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

I love Krate bikes.

Doc.

15. This is a Sting-Ray...

Wierd how topics in common come up like this. I was on another car forum talking about wrecking on these things on a big dirt mound with my cousins as a kid...

[​IMG]

16. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

That's actually a repro recent reissue Sting Ray. Check the gooseneck (ally - not cast like the original and different shaped), and the chainwheel, vents in the sprocket, seat a wee bit on the short side - and the frame just not as graceful in the rounding of the butts on the frame to head tube. Close - and they were pretty affordable and nice as opposed to rebuilding one. Used to love jumping the old gennie ones, turning them into moto cross bikes (shoulda patented that in about '71 when I built half a dozen for friends) Busted my nads a few times jumping then off dirt hills on trails, but what awesome memories.

MUSCLE BIKES RULE!!!!!!

17. Meet "Randy"

Attached Files:

18. slammed

slammed

Guy across the street from me has a bunch of these bike's. He buy's them from Bluemoonbikes.com Sycamore Ill. Same town that Suicide Axle shop is from. Check out Blue moon bike muesum tour on Youtube!

19. that orange crate rocks! had a lemon peeler for a short time, it got pinched and when i did get it back wasn't much left. now all i have is 10 spds and just picked up a 27" single speed from my aunt helping clean out here storage. on the trail of a blue tandem.

20. hanginlow58

hanginlow58

Here is a 1970 I restored for my son.

Attached Files:

21. cruiserbuddy

cruiserbuddy
    from Germany

Us Krazy Krauts ridin on a car free sunday on the road. In the middle is a selfmade bike from brother Gero, I am the one on the left side with a felt classic stretch:
    [​IMG]

22. cruiserbuddy

cruiserbuddy
    from Germany

A few projects from Klubbrother Mike:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. cruiserbuddy

cruiserbuddy
    from Germany

Once a year we Krazy Krauts organize the Season Start with the "Eisbein Kruise" in February. Over 200 Bikes from allover Germany come with their owners and we go on a 25km ride during rain,sun, snow......

24. skwurl

skwurl

They have new stingrays a wal mart. I bought 2 last year at Christmas. They were about 50 bucks. Here's mine in blue.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  25. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

The Stingray hadn't come up out yet when I got my first bike. I got a red Typhoon. A couple years later my younger brother got an orange metalflake Stingray. It was way cooler than my bike. It had the banana seat, bobbed chrome fenders, apehanger handlebars and a slick on the back!! WOW! Well I was so jealous my parents bought me a banana seat and a sissy bar for my bike so I could be cool. I busted my nuts more times than I care to remember on that sissy bar!! Wish I still had it!

26. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

Here are my 1969 Stingray and 1970 Fairlady right after I bought them in 06. I ride the stingray all the time with my kid.

Attached Files:

27. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I had a few back in the 90's.

[​IMG]

28. rodknocker

rodknocker

Were the 60's & 70's Stingrays made in China? I bought my daughter one of the new ones from Wally world and was dissappointed when I got it home and saw the Made in China sticker.

29. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

The repops at w/m went quick.
    Couple of Chrismas' ago, I bought the kids Sting Ray scooters, which have a Sting Ray muscle bike look blended with a chopper look (the frame is a dual exhaust pike design) and are pretty cool. They were limited run with Target getting black/red, w/mart; blue, Toys R Us; yellow.
    http://www.genesbmx.com/12-22-2004.jpg

I never could talk my parents into getting me a crate back in 69, but settled on having a few different Sting Ray's when I was a kid.
    Busted quite a few handle bars, goosenecks and pedals jumping stuff.
    Times have changed with parents being afraid of child molesters on the loose and driving their kids everywhere. Shit, when I was a kid we LIVED on our bikes!!!

30. squirrel

squirrel

No, they were made in the US. Mostly in Chicago, I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.