Register now to get rid of these ads!

California license plate repaint colors?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zonkola, Feb 4, 2004.

1. zonkola

zonkola
    from NorCal

I have some original California license plates I'm thinking about restoring. I've found info on restoration techniques, but I haven't found the specific colors of paint to use for the various years.

Anyone know what paint brands & colors to use for these years?

1932 - Black numbers on yellow-orange plate
    1933 - Yellow-orange numbers on black plate (same colors as '32, right?)
    1947 - Black numbers on yellow plate
    1963 - Yellow numbers on black plate

2. zonkola

zonkola
    from NorCal

BTTT. Not as amusing as ox53's posts, I know, but I figure somebody here has probably repainted a plate or two...

3. zonkola

zonkola
    from NorCal

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

4. Sean

Sean

Sorry Zonk. No help on the paint codes, but next time you get down to Los Gatos hit the DMV. They have CA plates on display from the 20's into the 60's.

5. zonkola

zonkola
    from NorCal

Thanks, I'll do that. The plates have some good paint left that I could probably have matched at the local paint shop, but I figured I'd try to avoid reinventing the wheel at least once. [​IMG]

6. Sean

Sean

Zonk, try this Link

7. prime mover

prime mover

I've repainted a 63 but that yellow is hard to match, I'm gonna keep trying different shades.

8. Roy Pagnini

Roy Pagnini

OK guys I cannot believe no one has ever matched these colors? I am trying to redo a motorcycle plate yellow on blue ? I guess its a trip to the auto paint store, Hey anyone know an ex prisoner from the California penal system?

9. Weasel

Weasel

IMO the majority of 'restored' plates I have seen look awful. Can anybody explain to me why these 'restorers', who have doubtless seen plenty of unrestored originals, use damn shiny paint?:confused: The originals were satin finish.

Go to a decent auto paint store and they should be able to color match for you if you have a sample, but be sure to use flattening agent to give the correct satin look - PPG DBU 18 works well.

10. I painted my own 35 plate. I spray painted it black then mixed red and yellow one shot until it was close to the original orange. It worked for me...

11. 5window

5window

I "restored" a '31 PA plate and, somewhat intentionally, made it a bit off. I am not running it as a legal plate on my car-in fact, in PA it's probably illegal to run any front plate. It's close enough to look okay on my car. You can take an original to someplace like Sherwin Williams with a color match laser system and match the paint.

If you are planning on running your plates as legal ones,that's a different tale and I would look in Hemming's for plate restorers. Or, why don't you fly to Hershey next month and spend several enjoyable days talking to lots of restoration folks? More fun than the Internet, but it will probably rain.

12. H3O

H3O

i can talk to my friend about that. he's a huge tag collector. i'm sure he'd know.

13. 402

So does anyone know what yellow paint to use for a 1956 CA plate?

14. McFly

McFly

I read on another thread here it was school bus yellow. Duplicolor has it in a spray can.

15. OLLIN

OLLIN

Ive done a few of the 62 and up yellow on black plates. I used a semi gloss black, and testers gloss yellow model paint for the letters. Ill bet its the same on 51 plates.

16. Hans Buscher

Hans Buscher

isn't tag paint reflective?

17. only the white ones.

i've redone about 4 pairs of plates and 1 house one. the one's on cars i got matched at the paint store (i used automotive paint), the house one i used spray cans. it didn't last too long and i'm going to use auto paint next.

Attached Files:

18. frozen_bohemian

frozen_bohemian
    from Minnesota

Care to share your technique for repainting plates?
    I have tried a couple different methods, not happy with the results.

19. my hand isn't that steady with a brush so i use the sanding style. after bodywork and prime, coat with letter color (i use about 2 to 3 good coats), then enough background color to cover other paint. after drying for a few days carefully wet sand through the top paint to letter color. i use 400 grit wet/dry to get close and 600 to finish. then 800 the whole plate and clear it. time consuming but it works for me. i have yet to see a hand painted one i like. my friend used some art supply tacky paper called "friskit" i think, painted his plate background color, put the paper on carefully cut out the letters and painted over that.....came out ok but you can't cut into the paint so it takes a steady hand too.

20. Paul2748

Paul2748

Are you going to use the plate as a legal plate? I don't know about Calif, but some states will not let you use a restored plate as a legal plate - seem kinda stupid, but that what I understand.

21. yea, california will let you use restored plates. i even had one dmv tell me i had to restore them BEFORE i registered them to a car (which isn't even together yet), so i went to a different dmv and now they are registered to my car :).

BTW that '39 blue plate is my house number now.......a swapmeet single plate, some home depot numbers and some time...

Attached Files:

22. Catalina65

Catalina65
    from California