Register now to get rid of these ads!

Colorado Drag Racing Pictures Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BobG, Nov 19, 2008.

1. BobG

BobG

Does anyone have any pictures they could post from Denver area dragstrips ( Thunder Road Erie, Century 21 or CDR) from the late 60's and early 70's?

Looking for pictures of Colorado racers Frank Estes orange F/MP 55 Chevy, it had East Evans Fina lettered on the 1/4 panels and also his brother Jim's plum colored blown 56 Chevy CC/Gas wagon.
    Allan Daum's Illusion white & yellow GTO,
    Houser & Short's full body injected full body front engine dragster.
    Proud Mary Barracuda
    Outcast fuel Altered

Thanks

2. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

All my stuff is early 70's from Bandimere's but Roger (40studedude) might have some shots from Century.
    Matter of fact last week I was showing my 9 year old son drag racing shots from back then and I ran across a picture of Roger's brown and tan fleetline that I took at a rod run from probably '74.

3. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

I think the fleetline belongs to roger's brother dan

4. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

My Avatar picture is of Tak's Toy and was taken at Erie-

5. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

That was (and still is) my brother's Fleetline...and you can check out "www.ColoradoRacingmemories.com for all kinds of '60's and 70's drag racing and other kinds of racing in ColoRODo...

EDIT: Just found out that Colorado Racing Memories site has been taken down due to health issues by the owner of the site, and that's way too bad as there was a lot of good stuff on the site. You can check out "Auto racing memories.com"...but it covers a lot of racing, simply not ColoRODo only...

R-

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  6. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

Do you guys remember a yellow '57 Chevy that was named the "Screaming Yellow Honker"? I would LOVE to see some pictures of that car-

7. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

Thanks for the clarification guys and sorry for the mix up. I took the picture when I was like 10 years old and I remember those were/are the cool guys from Denver that build some great cars. A custom 57 chevy sticks in my memory as well.

8. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

No but I remember a yellow 55 chevy named "Mustard" that ran hard. I wonder what ever happened to that car.

9. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

it's still around, sporting a stroker 409. havent seen it at the track in quite awhile though.

10. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

Have you seen that DVD, Gears, Grease and Guitars? Its strictly the Colorado hot rod scene. Lots of footage of CDR and other Denver locations

Spooky likes this.
  11. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

thats a great little video

Spooky likes this.
  12. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Yeah, it is...and brother Dan's '54 Caddy has a "cameo" shot in it...

It's simply not about the hot rod scene, it's about gear heads, rock (abilly), old drag racers, old tracks and the scene today...

IF you can find it buy it, otherwise borrow it from someone.

And Countn'carbs, thanx for the compliments on our cars...we still have one '57 and are working on a couple of Caddy's at this time...

R-

13. B.coupe

B.coupe
    from Mile High

Sorry to change the subject but does anybody know where i can get that DVD, Gears grease and guitars....Thanks

Spooky likes this.
  14. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

Black and Read. 80th and Wadsworth

Spooky likes this.
  15. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

I have a few later 60's CDR stuff it's funny cars thought.

Attached Files:

Deuces and Spooky like this.
  16. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

That car is pretty cool and last I saw it, it still had "you've just been smeared Hot Dog" lettered on the back.

Sure would like to see that car again.

17. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

Boy, there are so many good Cars from the past-anybody remember "The Frog" AMX? I hear it's in Aurora in extremely good condition-

18. BobG

BobG

Thanks for the reply guys, Any Drag Racing pictures that are from Colorado during the 60's and 70's are worth looking at.
    I remember watching Tak's Toy run several times. I remember the Frog

It's hard to believe that there were 7 different dragstrips within aprox 100 miles of Denver at one time and now only 2 Bandimere and Pueblo.
    Also in 1969 you could come up with almost 20 Top Fuel Cars from the area and in the early 70's almost 16 Funny Cars........... Times sure have changed.

19. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

An excerpt from one of my stories:

...in the form of Alan "The Kid" Bockla and his front engined AA rail, ripping off a new CDR record of 216.34 mph in the quarter, unheard of at that (date and) altitude. I got to watch a field of 18 Top Fuel cars on Sunday, August 20, 1967 and I got to see history made at every one of the "High Altitude Nationals" CDR held. I watched "Kansas John" Weibe attempt the CDR records several times while taking on local guys the Kaiser Brothers in their top fuel car, or Brown & Butkovich flog their AA rail against locals Rice & Williams. I cheered Ron Leslie in his 427" SOHC engined rail and then again in his Comet or "High Country Cougar" one of the few drivers around Denver that campaigned two drag cars at the same time. I agonized when Guzman & Dekker's team car," Assassination," battled it out with out-of-towners that thot they could take down local racers...just wasn't happening...the mile high altitude was a different animal. Later the Guzman & Ward team could, and always would, get their funny car way out of shape screaming down the quarter against the competition, but usually the price of admission was the sore point...it was all of two bucks back then...yep, two dollars per person...parking was free. Sometimes I wish I was still there!!!

R-

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Spooky likes this.
  20. BobG

BobG

I remember all of those, I also remember going to F&M and buying speed parts and talking to Alan, The first time I ever saw a flip top body funny car was at Thunder Road on the back side of the arsnal (96th & Buckly rd), it was Kenz & Leslie's 777 Cougar running against Don & Roy Gay's "Infinity" GTO and two weeks later I saw the Hawaiian run against the Assassination.

Spooky likes this.
  21. BobG

BobG

The first time I ever bought a speed part from an actual Speed Shop was at Ben Peterson's shop on South Broadway in Englewood,
    Brown & Butkovitch had their dragster in a garage two blocks from my house, I used to walk up there and watch them work on the car once in a while...who would ever of known that over 20 years later I would own that car.
    I also bought the Guzman & Ward Assassination Corvair Funny Car

22. Anyone remember a '55 Chevy bel air hardtop dragging out in Colorado? Car was green, and "supposedly" at the time had stock rear wheelwells with a tilt nose, though I have nothing to prove that and my sources aren't great. Painted red oxide in the 70's, then painted black.
    -Dean

23. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Denver Post add of when Tom McCroan's the Funny Car (my avitar) ran a match race at CDR.

Attached Files:

24. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

check out the guy in the bucket hat. :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  25. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

A/gas opel at bandimere? pic taken by my mom.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  26. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

cdr?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  27. bastard

bastard
    from colorado

The car is owned by Fred Kennedy from Kennedy alignments in commerce city. I used to live don the street from them growing up I remember seeing the car parked out side there shop. he also had or has a 1960 chevy with a blown injected 409. He was good friends with Jim goodwin who my dad built the pre historic rat for. Witch also ran a 409.

28. tomslik

tomslik

WHAT!?!?!
    NO STRAIGHT AXLE!?!?!?

how could it be a gasser?????;)

29. tomslik

tomslik

i think i have a mag around here with "mustardII" in it.
    guess i'll have to look for it this weekend and learn how to put up some pics (if you guys are interested)

30. BobG

BobG

Thats not Bandimere, That's Thunder Road