Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bucket seats - what did they come out of?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raceron1120, Nov 16, 2008.

1. I have a pair of low-back bucket seats that were in my '56 Fairlane when I bought it in '68. Obviously not original to it, and they have black naugehyde recovers on them. There are mounting holes on the tops for headrests but they're missing. The original upholstery is gone. I'm thinking early 60s GM?
    I'd like to get them redone but would like to see if something's already available rather than have them custom made. And ideas?

Attached Files:

2. A Body GM. Possibly Corvair seats.
    Dependant on the width of the tracks they are either 62-64 Nova or later A Body GM (nova, chevelle, malibu, tempest, etc.)

3. bigdaddygary

bigdaddygary
    from corinth ms

just got through recovering some just like them. they came in a 63 ss nova chevy II.

4. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

The chrome on the side goes all the way over on the 63 and 64 gm Impala seats ,

I think that theses are maybe 65 or 66 olds or buick because of the chrome spears on the sides,

I have a set of Impala buckets and mine have the chrome that is about one and a half inches wide and go all the way over ...

I could be wrong about the spears.............

5. I gotta agree here.I have a set that looks like them and was told they came out of a Tempest.

6. Daddyfink

Daddyfink

They almost look like the ones in my old buddies 65 GTO

7. Well I'm not a GM person but it looks like you guys pegged it. After posting here I saw a similar seat on ebay id'd as being from a mid 60s Nova. I was clueless what type or year vehicle mine came from but having owned them since '68 it makes sense they're early/mid 60's. The tracks are about 19 - 20 inches center to center mount hole, and I also noticed only the outer moldings are chrome, the inners are painted. Knowing what they're out of should help in finding ready-made covers, hope I can find something to match the back seat. Thanks! Now, if I can remember where I put the headrests. . . :confused:

8. TIN INDIAN MAN

TIN INDIAN MAN

Look at Automotive Interiors.com///You can get covers made cheap.ph#800-814-7533. Nice folks to talk with

9. Thanks for the lead to http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/ I'll check them out.

10. You had better watch what you get with these people.Dianne is super nice to deal with but I had big problems with their product.I got seat covers for my 56 Chevy and the fronts did not fit at all.I sent those back and Dianne sent me some more.The new ones fit even worse.Long story short...it took from February until September to get it straightened out.Turns out that they sent me the seat backs for a 55 Oldsmobile.They swore up and down that they were correct but they were wrong.I took them to a competent upholsterer who sewed up some new ones for me.He had a 55 Olds in his shop and said my seat covers fit them perfectly.Just be aware that just because they say they are the right patterns it don't make it so.Like I said,they work with you but if I had to do it again, I would not deal with them,their patterns leave a lot to be desired.

11. Thanks for the update. Does anybody know where this place is? I often travel around the country on my job and have no trouble doing "face time" if that's what it takes to get the correct item.

12. I think they are in Massachusetts but would have to look through my files to find out for sure.Their web site should have info.

13. iamspencer

iamspencer

A van, one of my friends is building a 56 Fairlane and i remember him talking about seats that looked like that coming out of a van.

14. you're correct, MA.
    thx