Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Scottsdale West World or ARIZONA state fairgrounds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeem, Sep 16, 2008.

1. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

hahah!

i dont think it would be tough to drum up some volunteers. it could be cool. there are a lot of great local oldtimers and there is a huge amount of us young shitheads in town. it would be a great way to bring the 2, 3 . . 4? generations of hot rodders together and make a great event happen as well.

there is even the az*ockabi**y (!) guys in town that already have organized events regularly, and a "following". if the two gangs came together for this one event, things could be huge.

if the right person was willing to organize it and do the leg work, i think there are enough people to support an event like this.

2. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

My organizational skills are, uhhhh....lacking. But I would would be up for something like this. An annual Valley of the Sun HOT ROD SWAP and PREFERRED PARKING show. New vendors and old swap spaces. Like you said Jonathon, use the Father's day show as a model. A theme, in lieu of roadsters every year (which, in the LAR show case, is understandable, haha). The three of us need to talk this week. I think you're on something, I mean, ONTO something!!

Plus, making it an ANNUAL gig, would allow the outta towners to prepare for it and make it out as well........

3. Hip2bsquare

Hip2bsquare
    from Gilbert,AZ

Better make it @ Jeem's house!! Or give good directions!!
    Thanks for the above Avatar time stamp btw!

4. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

you know where to find me! . . . that's kinda creepy, actually.

5. Hip2bsquare

Hip2bsquare
    from Gilbert,AZ

Money! Money to rent a facillity would be the hardest part... right?
    I am sure that it is not cheap to grab a facillity for a day or two. So that means lots of Vendors... Swap spot charges... admission, etc. Just ask Dean how much it took to put on the 1 time downtown Scottsdale thing! And they had a couple heavy hitter's backing it!(it was a free event though!!)
    Might have to start @ a smaller venue... build a following... then move to a dedicated spot!
    My 1.5 cents!!

6. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

that would be the first place to start. how much do the fairgrounds cost for one day?
    good thing about the fairgrounds, they may provide the parking direction/ticketing/etc. for an additional nominal fee? and they are already set up to have 'large scale events'.
    probly easier than trying to shut down part of old town scottsdale, hiring the street closure crews, dealing with the police, fire marshall, whomever else, etc. on individual basisissis.

7. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Hey, quit thinking out loud already!

Time for a huddle, I have ideas......

8. Hip2bsquare

Hip2bsquare
    from Gilbert,AZ

I will draw the t-shirts design!!

9. Solidaxel

Solidaxel

Yes, but comming up from Tucson would save us 20+ miles!!

10. KARASKUSTOMS

KARASKUSTOMS
    from Mesa, AZ

I was thinking this would be a good idea. Another show in town would always be great. Definately include a swap meet. I participate in the Offroad show there every year in December for my business, I always thought that hot rods would be great to see there.

11. Mike

Mike

Ya, I understand. When they personally get in your face and give you shit without any real cause, it's kinda hard to forget.

Some how Jerry lives a charmed life in some ways. I once watched him come up a couple of circles shy of carving out the Olympic Rings out there on the grass and some how no one in authority even noticed.

12. As I was reading all the comments on this thread I thought let's have our own show. Please don't get me wrong I love Goodguys show, I feel lucky to live in an area that has lots of cool car shows etc. I wish I could afford a car cool enough to show at good guys, maybe some day. I think the HAMB style cars are slowly being accepted at the GG show but not all are....So let's not move the Goodguys event to the fairgrounds lets have a meet of our own at the fairgrounds:rolleyes:

Just my 2 cents

Crap I guess I should have read page 5. I'm in for volunteering, just let me know!!
    Brent

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  13. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I think there is a large group of us that would like to put something on there. Speaking for myself, I'd be glad to help put this together, but am struggling right now to keep up with work, which is a good thing.

14. Hip2bsquare

Hip2bsquare
    from Gilbert,AZ

Bump...
    C'mon Mr.Smith... all this hoot'n & holler'n... still work'n on this?!!

15. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Uhhhhh, as a matter of fact, NO!

I'm busy enough keeping my head above water, like most of us!

Still totally behind it, and would love to contribute some effort and precious time, but organizing this sucker(!?), I'm NOT a good candidate for this.

16. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

geeez. . .
    all huff and no puff!

:D

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  17. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

18. shoot...you guys in da big city have all the fun!!!!

19. Kerry67

Kerry67

I would be interested.

20. hemibird43

hemibird43

hey guys you know west world, is not the best palce for gg but really where else would you want to bring you cars and feel safe that you and your car will not be harmed, listen i'm not a puss but why put your self in that position, az fair grounds suck,cards stadium is to small,lets face it az sucks for places to have good car shows for alot of cars.

21. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

jeem? jeem? heeelllllooooo!

is there anybody there?

hip2 and i have been coming up with some award names for you in the meantime. they are inspired by goodguise awards such as "Best Bitchin'" and "Best Use of Paint".

most are self-explanitory.

"Top Notch Tweed"

"When To Say When"

"Enough's Enough"

"I'm Not Homophobic, But That Shit Is Gay!"

"I'm Not Gay, But That Guy Is So Boss He Can Fuck Me In The Ass!"

"Way-Out Raised Wide Whites"

i know it may seem like we can't really top whats here, but we'll need to come up with about 80 more to measure up to the 90 or so that the GG has at each show. to help that, we're thinking sponsors . . .

"Just 'Cause It's Krylon, Don't Mean It's Krappy!"
    sponsored by Krylon

"Best Use Of Tazmanian Devil, Tweety Bird or Marvin the Martian In A Paint and/or Interior Theme"
    sponsored by Looney Tunes

"Best Spider Webs, Skulls and Caskets Motif"
    sponsored by your local Holloween supply store

don't worry.
    the juices are still flowin'.

jw

22. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Wow, you guys HAVE been BUSY!! You guys need event shirts? I know some artists.....

23. MilesM

MilesM

Did this get started? Missed it the first time.

24. i agree that a change of venue for the goodguys or even a totally new show put on earlier in the year would be great. the fairgrounds does have alot of parking witht he overflow lot to the northwest. lowrider puts on a show there anually and there are tons of cars and trucks for that show.

and i must admit i am responsible for building some of the stucco and stick houses out by westworld. sorry.

25. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

keep us updated on this I am interestred in this as I have noticed a few of the local "big" shows are trying to charge alot or turn away "not done" cars.... Dont forget the Sinners Show on Oct 17th .....

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Well, it's not going to happen this year. Last year when this thread started up I had just turned on a computer without destroying it for the first time. I guess it's called "lurking". Taking to heart what everyone was talking about, I went to the fair grounds and got some price schedules and rental information. The biggest problem isthat most things at the fairgrounds are scheduled a year or more in advance. By the time I went in right after Good Guys last year, the only weekends that were available were in the dead of summer, or when other major events were around town. Pricing for the fairground is reasonable, but what will sting a bit is insurance and security, oh, and fencing to pare the grounds down a bit. By the time all was said and done, it was a staggering amount to do just a one day gig. Could be done by a group of us though. We would have to organize now for 2011. P.S. I'm not exactly Mr. organizational skills either!!!! Just ask anyone who knows me .

27. Wikster

Wikster
    from Phoenix

1 more vote for a move to the fairgrounds. I live just off 19th ave and Thomas--just N. of the grounds. There are some ghetto neighborhoods, but the majority are nice, modest and historic.

The bad impression some suburbanites get from the area is probably due to the fair. It was getting sketchy in the 90's, and now I wont go anywhere near it when it is going off.

The neighborhoods and buildings in the surrounding area are picturesque and just a short jog and you are on central ave with tons of cool old buildings a few great little restaurants. I dig on the 'fathers day pamona' style show/meet idea.

I hate driving to Pomona and the best part is the preferred parking and the swap anyway, why not have that here. OK I'm just being selfish because I could literally walk to the fairgrounds. :-D

28. Kerry67

Kerry67

I wish we could get something like Pomona here in Phoenix. It will never happen though. Not sure why can't at least have a decent sized swap that takes longer than 40 minutes to walk the whole thing. And that includes the better ones. Actually GoodGuys has the best swap of the year I think and I actually like the set-up they have at West World.

29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I too live downtown now for the last twenty years.( As a matter of fact early on in this thread someone said "all the hot rod shops are downtown- long list, did I miss anybody?" Yeah me!!!) Like some of the other guys on this thread, I do take some exception to my neighborhood being described as "run down" or "dangerous". I'll make the same offer as everybody else- if you feel that this area is too scary to go into, come down and hang out some evening, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

30. Firepig

Firepig

Definately West World. The fairgrounds is a dump.