Register now to get rid of these ads!

best clear over bare metal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PBR Allstar, Nov 16, 2008.

1. this is a little off topic, and not for automotive use, but what is the best type of clear coat system to use over bare, freshly ground/welded steel? It's for indoor application.

thanks in advance.

2. Rust will happen under clear coat I'd say use a metal prep first then clear over it

3. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

You might talk to your paint supplier (autobody paint store) and ask if they have a clear sealer; you could put a clear coat over that.

4. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

What are you trying to accomplish here? There really isn't a "good" clear over bare metal.

5. Krylon, crystal clear acrylic, satin.

6. hotrod51

hotrod51

PPG DAU 75 is designed for bare metal. I have used it with very good results.

7. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

If your talkin' indoor application only, than any of the top line clears i.e.
    H.P.K. PPG , DuPont will all be good choices. Clear over bare metal for exterior application = trouble!
    Your "also ran" shop grade of clears would probably work as well, again for indoor use only!

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Meanwhile, back aboard The Tainted Pork"

8. raffman

raffman

POR 15 product called Glisten or Glison not sure of the spelling. Works on aluminum too.

9. Dupont actually makes a product to spray over bare metal that is clear and can be cleared over.It works as an adhesion promoter for the bare metal.It is quite pricy though.HOK has an adhesion promoter also that works well over raw aluminum.

10. sawzall

sawzall

and its JUNK...

dont use the PC glisten.. its crap...

11. Chaoticcustoms

Chaoticcustoms

I just went thru my ppg certification class and was talking to them about it and aparently they came out with a clear etch...sorry dont remember the number then you could use some dbc500 then any clear you want on it. The 500 is a clear basecoat/blender by the way.

12. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Dupont used to make a clear sealer metal etch that worked great. We used to use it to do bare metal stuff years ago. Then in the late 90's it changed to a yellowish tint.
    They might have a product now.
    Let us know what you find. Give your paint stores a call. Call different ones that carry different products.
    Wil
    www.sakowskimotors.com

13. Thanks for the replies everyone! It's for some furniture projects I'm working on that are all going to have a fine ground finish on them. I'll talk to the guys at the paint shop next time I'm there about the clear sealer idea. I just thought I'd throw it out here because there is a lot of experience and ideas here.

thanks!

14. raffman

raffman

Why? I've got some pieces of aluminum 3-4 years old and it's still on.

15. bardahl1

bardahl1

a friend of mine did bare steel indoor railings - claer IMRON, took a few coats but handles the traffic

16. COS

COS
    from KCMO

I have seen a lot of sand rail guys do a clear powder coat which seems to work good! The new thing for them is doing cool swril work on the bare metal and then do a clear or candy over top of it!! Hope this helps!!

-COS

17. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

Have used Eastwood Diamond Clear with some success. Don't touch the bare metal at all. Finegrade scotchbrite, then with latex gloves, clean with rubbing alcohol. You will end up with fingerprints in rust under the clear if you shoot it in a place with any humidity. Don't ask how I know!