Register now to get rid of these ads!

Name that car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NOT_SO_FAST, Nov 16, 2008.

1. NOT_SO_FAST

NOT_SO_FAST
    from IL

I first noticed this thing a few years ago,by an auto repair shop. Last week I finally pulled over and snapped a quick picture of it. Anyone know what kind of car it is? I've looked in some of my old car books but couldn't find one like it.

[​IMG]

2. I'll name it Dexter. ;)

Seriously, definitely a GM product, I think it's Pontiac, vintage about '46 or so.

3. But he likes to go by "Rusty"

it's GM I think, post 1940 I like the hubcap!

4. could be a 47/48 Caddy coupe. Definately a GM product around that vintage.

5. NOT_SO_FAST

NOT_SO_FAST
    from IL

Thanks for the quick replies. I should stop by sometime and see if it might be for sale,the car doesn't look too horribly bad.

6. Think it looks like a 41 Pontiac.

7. I stand corrected 1941 Pontaic

8. wonder what possessed someone to put that plastic wheelcover on it?

9. Scott F.

Scott F.

"Ima gunna fixer up sum day and Ah has tuh start somewar. So Ah started wid dat hubcap" "An Heel No, it eent fer sale". :D

10. I just spat coffee outta my nose.... :eek:

11. ridin dirty

ridin dirty

Pontiac . Buy It and call it BORIS

12. looks like something i almost bought years ago...but i thought it had sucide doors????????it was like a 40 poncho..did they have sucide doors:confused::confused:?????
    hell i'm old can't remember...my topo has em :rolleyes:............

13. If you look at the thread with the 41 Pontiac for sale, the rear deck and nose look shorter then the photo posted here.

14. I'm thinking '41 Cadillac. That would make a fine project! Too big for a Pontiac.

15. The same thought process that makes people put a 3' tall wing on a Honda Civic 4 door.

16. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I looked it up in my book and it sure looks like a 41 Cadillac to me just like was mentioned above. Would be a very rare car being a coupe.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  17. Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  18. GaryC.

GaryC.

Here's a '41 Pontiac I found while browsing.

Attached Files:

19. malkintent

malkintent

i think more like 47 look at the head lights in the fenders

20. That was my first call also.

21. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

'41 Caddy Coupe

Attached Files:

22. I used to own one-it's a 1941 Pontiac Series 29 Custom coupe. The without a doubt-tell-tale markings are the horizontal creases just above the wheel openings on the front and rear fenders . The '41 Pontiac was the only car that had that marking. Also, the rear bumper wings as well as the shape of the tail lights. But, there is a reason for confusing it with Cadillac and others:

The Series 29 '41 Pontiac was built using the larger-longer GM bodies -same body used by Cadillac, Buick and Olds 98's! Pontiac only built the coupe and a 4-door sedan using these 'large' bodies and called them their "Custom" line for '41.

All other '41 Pontiacs were Series 25-27, built on the smaller-shorter GM body, similar to '41 Chevy and Olds 68-88. That's the ones with the shorter deck and was offered in many body styles including sedans, coupes, convertibles. Pontiac also had the 26-28 Series which was the Streamliner bodies shared with Chevy Fleetliners.

I also found out the hard way, nothing except the grille, headlight rings, and bumpers will interchange with the more plentiful 25-27 & 26-28 Series '41 Pontiacs. Every piece of tin (Hood, all fenders, doors, decklid, etc.) as well as all the rest of the trim (stainless moldings, trunk handle, tail lights, etc.) came only on this series. So if you need something for it-GOOD LUCK!

23. lostinthe60s

lostinthe60s
    from Midwest

1941 Oldsmobile

look at the trim......cadillacs (most fenders I seen extened into the doors

Attached Files: