Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do you think that this can be saved

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldfart, Nov 13, 2008.

1. This is a pretty rusty 1960 Chevy sedan delivery w/more rust than I have ever seen on a running.daily driver.I am especially worried about the drivers side door jamb.Can it be saved?:confused:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  2. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Seems to have rusted clean away.

-Brad

3. dean4969

dean4969

4. chris55

chris55

naw...thats just a closeup of one of the holes...:D

5. flatford39

flatford39

Of couse it can with the right buffing wheel. And don't forget about compound either.

6. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I'd say yes but with a ton of work.

Where has this car spent it's life?? Up in the north under the salt truck???

7. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

It looks to have crossed into "parts car" status.

8. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Biggest worry would be the frame condition followed by the upper quarters
    and roof rail sections as well as the roof panel itself. Every thing else would inter change with a 4dr. parts car, with some work, but doable!
    The 64 thousand dollar question is how much money do you wanna spend to save it?

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Meanwhile, back aboard The Tainted Pork"

9. MarkX

MarkX
    from ...TX

I can save it,....... wanna sell it?

10. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Anything can be saved. Look at Flamedabones Merc. It was half a car when he found it. Theres enough metal and talent out there that if you can't do it, someone else probably can.

11. Shit I sold a '58 Chevy sedan delivery to a guy that was so rotty he opted to leave the frame and what was left of the floor and take the body shell only, like a plastic model car kit body. The thing was great from about the trim-line up, but the frame had more rot than I've ever seen in a car frame, it was just about rusted clean through under the cowl. I only had to cut a little bit of metal at the wheel-houses to drop the whole floor and frame out of it. I still don't know how it survived the trip from the junkyard where I got it back home and being pulled off the trailer with a chain.

He must have fixed it with a donor car, because like 6-8 months later he emailed me up asking what to do to register it in New York...

12. you call that rusty? that car is mint compared to some of the shit up here in the PA rust belt. save it, put on some disc brakes and drive it!!

13. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I'd save it. But it makes ya wonder what the hidden areas look like. Anything can be done if ya want it bad enough. For some cars, I would walk away. For a cool old 2 door delivery, I'd save it.

14. ratrodnash

ratrodnash
    from canada

hey guy ive seen a lota rusy ones saved , YOU CAN DOO IT

15. chaddilac

chaddilac

sho nuff... just need to find a donar car... I know where 3 of them are!

16. truckedup 28

truckedup 28

we have one of those also. i heard there are not to many of these around

17. I don't have many "before" photos of my old 50 chevy delivery but it was almost non existant from the door handles down. I had a rust free '49, 4 door parts car and used almost everything including the frame....fab'd the floor pans and it was a joy to drive.
    As the photos show, it was still a little lumpy after welding in the 4 door body parts and aftermarket rockers.
    The next owner got it nice enough to paint it shiny black..I saw photos of it in black and it was beautiful but it must have taken a TON of bondo and block sanding..
    I'd save it just because there are so few 59-60 deliveries left. And, I love sedan deliveries.
    Oh yeah, all the orange parts are from the parts car...including the back half of the 1/4 panel. That gave me a gas door instead of the delivery-style filler pipe sticking out the side of the car.

Attached Files:

18. The odd thing is that it spent its whole life in Atlanta as a coca-cola service vehicle.The frame is solid ,having been protected by that good ol red Georgia mud.

19. koolkemp

koolkemp

I wouldnt think twice about it, but then again I love Sedan Deliveries ...rare car.

20. RacerRick

RacerRick

We call that a solid builder up here in the rust belt!

21. 1967gmc

1967gmc

yes it can be fixed ,if you know what the hell your doing!!!!!!!!!!

22. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

What happened was after it was retired it sat under a bunch of pine trees and the pine needles got stuck in the knockers(where the bottom of the windshield is supported) and the back window was left down or broken out and pine needles mlgrated into there also and it turned to mush, then comes rust, and by the way all that black/green moss also retained water also.
    i've got a 47 ford sedan delivery from atlanta area with the same deal, still finding some of that stuff.

anyway "SAVE IT" sedan delivery's are great.

23. Django

Django
    from Chicago

It will take a lot of work, but I think it is worth it on a sedan delivery. RARE.

24. Of course it can: with knowledge, skill, time, and money...if you are like me all are in short supply

25. I'm sure what can't be bought repro can be cut out of a parts car, hell we scrapped a couple 59-60 4drs over the summer that you could have cut the entire top half of the cowl out of, it was fine even though the bottom of the cars were falling to pieces. I sold one of the dashes to a guy here on the HAMB, even.

26. I hope you have a lot of patience, cause you will have a good 1-2 years of cutting, welding ahead of you. Most guys I know that started such projects give up and sell.

27. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

hell yes it can be saved. it will just require time, money, and talent

look up the swiss cheese merc, this one is rust free compared to that

28. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Ahh,Its that not bad.Jim Sibley would have that car on the road in less than a year.:D:D

29. metalmike13

metalmike13
    from Glass City

I've seen 10 year old cars here in Toledo that would make yer 60 look mint. Good fab skills, and a lil elbow grease you'll be all set