Register now to get rid of these ads!

Front seats for chopped Model A Tudor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BeatnikPirate, Nov 11, 2008.

1. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

I want to replace the original Model A front seats in my chopped '30 Tudor with something more comfortable, with reclining backs, and about 3 inches lower than the originals (due to the 3.5 inch chop). I prefer inexpensive, used low-back seats (or with removeable headrests), and folding to allow rear seat access.
    The problem seems to be finding used ones that meet these requirements and are narrow enough to fit the Model A.
    Any suggestions? Thanks for your help!

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

look at some of the low back van seats, and the seats out of the jeeps..older ones.
    the van seats generally dont fold forward, but you can rig that up
    Think most of the jeeps will do what you want.

also the mid 60's 2 door cars had some nice seats that recline and fold forward

3. I'm looking for something for my '28 coupe. A buddy is using the rear seats from an early Chevy Tracker for his '32 coupe. I'm thinking the same...not sure how this would look in a Tudor.

4. Vergil

Vergil

I am using buckets from a 325si BMW in my coupe with 3" chop. Using the BMW rails and they have the extension that can be moved out for leg support but never use it, they tilt and the back folds forward, all manually no power. They are out of a two door donor. I left the head supports in but they could be removed. I am also using the three point seat belts that came with the deats. They fit but no room to spare.

[​IMG]

Vergil

5. Sprout

Sprout

I used the rear seats out of a Chevy Lumina van. You know the one that look like a ramp. I had to narrow them 3" to clear my drive shaft buy my car is low.

6. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

i'm using '64 or '65 mustang buckets. i got a steal on them at a swap meet. Not exactly the vintage i was looking for but they are just narrow enough that the two of them fit. the kind of push the padding on the door panel in a bit, but if they were positioned further back they would clear better. i plan on getting them re-upholstered someday to make them not look like mustangs. they don't lean back really far, the passenger doesn't at all, but they lean forward and the drivers seat can be reclined a little further. not a bad seat.

7. I used the back seat from a suzuki samuri

8. Look at old airplanes. I'm not talking military, that shit's too expensive. The ones I got for my A Tudor are from a '58 Cessna. Fit perfectly width wise, just have remount them to the floor. They're really comfortable to boot. Got the pair for $200.

9. holy shit mine are from a Cessna as well....they really are perfect width and they do flip forward all the way...good subframe and came with lap belts! damn good seats... Morris Minors could work as well possibly...

10. chaddilac

chaddilac

Auditorium seating from the 50s....

[​IMG]

11. [​IMG]
    shitty pic but its an idea...28 tudor with 4 in chop...

12. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

I have a bench seat from a 94 Ford Aerostar, and it folds foward. Width is perfect.

13. Rathbone

Rathbone

Couldn't you cut some of the height out of the Tudor seat bottom and get it re-upholstered? I was thinking of trying that for my coupe, I just don't have Tudor seats.

14. cretin

cretin

miata seats might work

15. keeffer

keeffer

chevy s10 seat is a dead on match

16. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Pontiac Fiero seats fit great without touching the sides.The only thing is they are high backs and some rodders don't like the modern look but I don't mind because they are safe and comfortable.

17. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Is your A chopped?
    its not so much that I dont like the modern look..its that most guys that chop their A's 4 to 6"..cant put a high back bucket seat in them.

18. hr31hr

hr31hr
    from PA

I used the Lumina middle seats. They fold flat onto themselves. I just made risers out of 1/8" plate and angle. I can post you a picture if you like.

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Post it man..Ive heard about these lumina seats too, just havent seen them in action.:cool:

20. draggler

draggler

Miata seats would ,will work ! They are narrow enough ,slim backed enough ,recline and have side bolstering. They would more than likely fit better with some possible blanket draping ,or reupholstery! I have some wedged in my 30 model coupe project from a previous project and found that they currently meet the will work aspect ,,may not very well meet the elitist profile though!

21. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

2002 Dodge Caravan center seat. WAAAAAYYYY more comfy than what I had. That was two buckets out of God only knows...

And it's got hidden cup holders!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  22. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Good suggestions!
    Those BMW seats look especially nice.
    Now that I know several seats that would work, I'll be guided by availability and price.
    Gonna check out Craig's list for the seats you suggested.
    Thanks a lot, Dudes!:)

23. Capt. Zorro

Capt. Zorro

I've got buckets out of a Thunderbird turbo coupe in my A coupe. The driver's has all the power goodies in it. Have Fiero in the T coupe, they are a little narrower but don't have all the bell's and whistles of the T bird seats.

24. chaddilac

chaddilac

I've got some extra Auditorium backs if your interested?

25. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

Craigslist is the way to go. Find it local and cheap. I've seen several set of buckets that were free and on mini van seat that was free. I didn't want the buckets and the woman with the free mini van seat has yet to return an e-mail from about a month ago.

26. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

For my Tudor project I have gotten a First row Chrysler Mini van seat..(the one that is slightly smaller in length than the one that normally is at the back of the van)
    As for front bucket seats I havent gotten anything yet, still looking.
    I am hopful to find some mid to late 60's bucket seats with the hard backs..like T bird seats, The mustang seats of the mid 60's are small, and the 68 charger seats are nice too..I just keep looking..they are out there.

27. hr31hr

hr31hr
    from PA

I have attached pictures of the front seats in my sedan. The rear is a middle seat out of a Dodge mini van. With the gas tank behind the rear seat the legroom is tight but I can still sit in the back and I am 5-10. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

28. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

thats a sweet set up..does the drivers seat fold forward like the passenger seat does?

I can get seats at my local pick and pull for about 25 bucks a seat..Think I will be off to see if there are any luminas in the lot

29. hr31hr

hr31hr
    from PA

It does. I did not make it tilt like the passenger. I poicked them up at EZ-Pull for a total of $20. $10 for the bench and $5 each for the buckets. I unbolted the riser from the bench and cut them off of the buckets.

30. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I have the same rear seat as you, and did it the same as you.
    wish my pick and pull was as cheap as yours, but hell 25 bucks each still aint bad.

you say you took the original lumina mounts off the seats? and made your own..correct?
    can you show pictures of just your mounts?

and how do the lumina seats come out of the van, are they bolted into the floor? or do they release like the chrysler seats..ie..no tools?

thanks ..I think im all over this , this weekend..I just called my pick and pull and they have a few luminas in