Register now to get rid of these ads!

vintage 235 chevy speed equipment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodlolita, May 29, 2008.

1. 6narow

6narow

Good points, Heathen and Mike.
    My thinking was 2-fold:

A) the blower would be mounted the way it was designed.
    B) the manifold would be structurally stonger.

However, I failed to think about routing the exhaust ( :rolleyes: ).
    By the time you stretch the manifold runners out to clear the exhaust, any structural "bonus" you'd get from mounting it in the proper position would be a moot point.
    ...unless someone could figure out a way to cast the intake and exhaust manifolds as a one-piece unit.

Mike,

I think your original intent of pressurizing the engine with a cetrifigal supercharger, like the McCullough/Paxton unit you originally aluded to, would be your best bet.
    More compact than the Rootes-style blower, thus allowing you more possibilities to locate it in the engine compartment.
    You'd also realize a greater power gain, since a centrifigal supercharger is designed to pressurize air, while a Rootes-style blower is actually just a giant "air mover".
    Good luck with your project. Lets see some pics when you're done.

6narow

2. newstranger

newstranger

Leave any '55-'57 235s alone! The motor mount bosses are nowhere near where they need to be for your car!

-ns

3. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

Man, I love this place, I have been learning so much. It's great to have intelligent people to talk cars with...
    I am in the parts collection and money gathering process. I have been reading on the site I posted above...
    something about this place, you guys have me hooked on vintage power-plants..
    My old man and I are dreaming up a flathead caddy powered model A
    When I get back to Illinois in a year, that one will be a go as well..

4. 6narow

6narow

If your ol' man wants to do a 346 V-8, look at '38 and later engines.
    My dad had a '37 Cadillac (series 60), back around '45 or '46.
    I remember he always mentioned it had a '38 motor in it and when I asked him why the one year was such a big deal he'd always tell me the later motor was a better version, more reliable.
    Kinda cool how the exhaust pipes come out on top on those
    motors, too.

-----------------------------------------

Newstranger,

So the '58-'62 235's put the motor mounts in a better location?
    Closer to where they're located on her current engine?

6narow.

5. DeluxeGal

DeluxeGal
    from Vagabond

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents trying to help a hot rod sister out.

I've got a '53 that I'm in the process of rebuilding. I know there are several differences between the '51 and '53 but here's what I've gotten into so far.

I'm in the process of swapping my '53's 235 with a 235 and PG from a '55. Then switching the stock rear with the rear from a '57. Reading over the thread it sounds like maybe money isn't as big of an option for you, but I will say that I've been able to purchase all the above, for under $600.

With that in mind, didn't see it mentioned on here yet, but depending on what set-up you go with in your car also keep in mind that you might have to change out the rear end and get an open drive.

I plan on posting pictures of the progress once everything is underway. :) Best of luck!

6. Inline6

Inline6

all the GMC motors have full pressure oiling so you could go with that and they make a 5 carb intake for the GMC motors
    302 gmc's are bitchin if you can find one

7. Inline6

Inline6

or just go witha 6 port head from wayne mfg. inc and get it over with then you can run fuel injection and have 6 exhaust ports instead of 4

8. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

I picked up the roger huntington book on hopping up gmc and chevy 6es...
    there is a photo in there of a wayne 6 that has the exhaust on the other side...
    I thought the heat from the exhaust mani kept the fuel distributed evenly between the cylinders... prevented pooling etc... ????
    can anyone here give me a clue?

9. 6narow

6narow

Mike,

The head design you're referring to is known as a "T" or "Cross-Flow" type cylinder head.
    Its benefits are two-fold:
    1) It avails itself to working better with the natural flow of the mixture as it both enters and exits the cylinder, thus requiring less HP to move it.
    2) It keeps heat away from the intake manifold, thus allowing a cooler intake charge (of course, this increases warm up time, when the engine is cold, too).
    The cooler charge will be more dense, so when the mixture fires off, the charge is greater (think of it as a cheap, mild form of Supercharging without actually having to pressurize the area before the combustion chamber).
    Drag racers are known to places sacks of dry ice on their intake manifolds, while waiting in line to make a run, for the same reason. When their turn comes up, they remove the ice, close the hood and make the run.
    The fuel pooling you mentioned can be thwarted by leaving the inside of the manifold rough. The rough surface will create little vorticies as the mixture passes through it, and those vorticies will help keep the mixture combined.
    So, to summarize, in this instance, heat is your enemy as it can potentially vaporize the fuel before it reaches the carb (or even the pump, in some cases).
    This condition is commonly known as "Vapor Lock" and has stranded many a driver in the past.

6narow

10. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

I assume you are also referring to cold air intakes and the like, this is why subaru has a cold water spray for the intercooler on their sti rally cars. I have even seen nitrous set ups that spray the intercooler and not into the engine...
    I take it that these t flow heads are expensive and hard to come by?
    If one could access a t flow head, the properly mounter supercharger could be achieved...?

11. 6narow

6narow

No Mike, actually I'm not, although they too work from the same mindset of drawing a more condensed fuel-air mixture into the combustion chamber.
    What I was doing was answering the question you just asked about the Wayne GMC cylinder head.
    That design, where intake comes in one side and exhaust goes out the other, is known as a "T" or "Cross-Flow" type cylinder head.
    Its quite common on engines seen in cars made today.

6narow

12. 6narow

6narow

Hey Lolita,

So how's the '51 comin' along?
    Got any "in-progress" pics to show us?

6narow

13. MistGreen50

MistGreen50
    from Belen,NM

I drive the shit out of this babbit inline,just drove it down to El Paso,about 550 liles round trip with NO problems.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dyno Dave likes this.
  14. Butcher Boy

Butcher Boy

Drove my 1950 babbit pounding 216 from Hershey, PA where I bought it to California on 2 lane roads though. I did a steady 60 MPH with no problems.

15. MistGreen50

MistGreen50
    from Belen,NM

16. 6narow

6narow

=()

MistGreen50, NICE WORK!
    Plumbing those copper water lines took some planning, I bet!
    You are truely an artiste.
    Thank you, so much, for sharing those pics of your engine.

6narow

17. 6narow

6narow

Thanks for the link 3Z.
    Those manifolds, plus a 'vette cam, should make any Stovebolt a real goer!
    :cool:

6narow

18. 1951 216

1951 216
    from milwaukee

I got an Edmunds 235 intake that has rebuilt carbs on it, the intake needs to be cleaned up some. The carbs are rochesters from a 235. Anybody wanna make me an offer?

19. slick39

slick39
    from dallas ,ga

20. panic

panic

Ah, yes, the 'vette cam, the one designed for the truck engine.
    That's the one with 244° duration - or 32° less than the stock 235 cam, to work at lower speed?
    Quoting Frank McGurk: “This cam has proven to be unsatisfactory for modification work”.

21. MistGreen50

MistGreen50
    from Belen,NM

22. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

I'd seen this,thats about as pretty a stovebolt as one could find and a babbit engine too! Beautiful plumbing to the intake.Muy bueno!:):):)

23. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

I built a 261 Chevy six in 99. It was bored 0.60 ,balanced,Patricks "3/4" cam (WAY TOO MUCH) go with the smaller grind. 848 head with hard seats, new s/s valves, Fenton header, Clifford water heated manifold, Edelbrock 500 CFM carb, alum timing gears( sounds like gear drive)and a Pertronix conversion kit in the dist. Had a saginaw 4 speed behind it with Smithy mufflers. Unfortunately it was in a really heavy 53 Chevy Suburban and I couldn't unleash it's full power potential. Personally, If I was to do it again, stay with a 2 barrel carb, smaller streetable cam, no need to balance, have fun with it. I have some engine pictures somewhere. I sold it on 06 to fund another project. Heres the truck:
    [​IMG]

24. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

25. rc32tx

rc32tx

I bought a '53 Chevy HT in San Antonio August 2008 and it had the original 216. Tried to crank it but it didn't sound right. Pulled it out, put in a used '54 235 and got the Fenton setup from Patrick's. I had spent more on the setup than I did on the $400 engine. The 235 has a lot of blow-by, uses a a quart of oil every week (daily driver) and runs hot. Despite the problems, it sure does have a lot of pep. The exhaust runs through side pipes, no mufflers at this time. Loud as hell! I'm going to tear down the engine next year. You can get a free informative catalog from Patrick's.

26. 6narow

6narow

Rochesters?...on a 235?
    Are you sure they don't say Carter or Stromberg on them?

Elvis

27. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

rochester one barrels came on 235s and 216/early 235 The early 216/235 rochesters are alittle different than the later 235 rochesters.

28. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

Alright thought i would share most of our inliner intakes.

First up nicson dual carb. Got it for 200 after letting the seller keep the carter carbs and traded 3 holly 94 parts carbs and one carter. Has a pretty sweet story on it too. The seller ran out of gas after comming back form a show(he deals in intakes) and this guy walks up to them gives him gas and asks if he was interested in some stuff he had for sale. Took him into the garage to a awsome 54 chevy truck with a 235 with a split stock exhaust manfold(with the heatriser cut out) the nicson dual carb intake and wayne valve and side cover. He said he was going to trow it out since he will make it a prostreet truck:( Anyway the seller we bought the stuff from was smart enough to take all the parts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Old mcgurk(early with no name casted in). Got this intake from the same seller that we bought the nicson from. First we bought an ellis from him but it wasnt for a 235 so we traded it back in after sandblasting it and cleaning the carbs. Cleaned this one up alot. Dad sand blasted it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok this is the last one we have from the same seller. Also a nicson but a triple. Got it for 200 bucks(just like the dual carb). Dad polished it up nicely and its now sitting right at home on my 58 chevy truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok now we move on. This one came from a hamber Stovebolt. Old no name mcgurk(more castings were done back in the 50s with various companis selling it) We got it with a linkage and 3 air cleaners. The bases on it now were for a mock up we did. I think we bought it for like 450 dollars not quiet sure anymore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is our harper. Also came from a hamber. 450 bucks i think with 3 94 parts carbs(traded those off). Its in awsome condition and dad was very happy when i told him we had a chance on one of his dream intakes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the intake that got it all started. This i think was owned by a hamber but we got it off of ebay for 235 bucks. Its an old mcgurk 270/302 gmc intake. I was looking around on ebay for the 235 mcgurk tripples and found this. I thought the ports looked the same so i bid on it. Got outbid but mom and dad kicked in alittle and it was mine. Got it home and found out it didnt fit. Then found out it was kinda for my dream motor a 270/302 gmc. So no i have the intake but no motor:D Anyway it makes a great wallhanger.

[​IMG]

Now here is alittle twist on all this. Dad and me went to the big 3 swap meet this year looking for as many rochester one barels as possible. We came across this. Asked the owner what it was(this was sunday hadnt seen it saturday) and the guy was like u know what i have been asked this questions so many times i am sick and tired of it. I want 100 bucks for it. So dad looked at me. Well it had the carbs linkage good condition. Dad offered 60. Guy thought about it for alittle and was like u know what i dont wanna be asked the damn question anymore u got a deal. Took it to our friend(the seller where we bought the nicsons and the dual no name mcgurk) and asked if he knew what it was. He said he talked to the owner on friday. One friday he wanted 350 for it so he offered 100 bucks but the seller said no. Our friend didnt know what it is either. Went home and posted it here which got some clues to its orgin. Found out it could possibly be a boats intake. Did alittle more searching and found out its a intake from a chris craft boats intake. We think it was worth the money. I will modifie it alittle to get it to fit a 235(i will have to slant the bends back to get the carbs to sit straight)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We got one more intake at home but dad took it to work with him so pics of it will come later on. The other intake is a thickstun swirl intake bought from a fellow hamber also.

29. 6narow

6narow

Well, there ya' go.
    Like my father used to say, you learn something new every day.
    Nice editorial, WITH PICS, on your intake collection.
    Did you find out exactly what engine the Chris Craft intake fit?
    If the name you came up with is marinized, I might[]/i] be able to decipher it for you, but it would just be off the top of my head.

6narow

30. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

I wish there was more women like you out east...but i love see females do there thang in this hobby. So mad respect goes to you!!

Another thing to watch or look for when building a nice lil 6banger is a 848 head....I have a couple when your ready but you have to lose the boyfriend first,,,wink wink :)!! (OJ)