Register now to get rid of these ads!

911 and E.R.-- courtesy of Harbor Freight

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by notebooms, Nov 10, 2008.

1. NoSurf

NoSurf

Glad you will be ok.

If there is anything I can do- let me know.

2. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

Anyone? American Made Engine Hoist? Anyone?

3. the Chinese use the metric system... but that's just a small part of a huge problem...

glad yer o.k.

4. I will not buy Harbor Freight shit, nor any other store that sells that Chinese shit. Chinese shit is shit, period, no matter who sells the shit, Chinese shit is dangerous shit.

Last time I bought anything from them was a hand cart, rated for 800 pounds. I moved a refrigerator weighing 225 pounds about 100 feet, and the WHEELS BENT!!! Took it back and the manager insisted I overloaded it. I took him to the display that had the identical hand cart and told him to stand on it and I'd roll him around a llittle (he was maybe 200 pounds) - guess what? The wheels on that one bent, too! I got my money back after that display. Never been back.

Some of you guys justify buying the Chinese shit by saying "Oh, I'm only going to use it a few times, maybe"...well, guess what, Jack? It only takes a tool to fail ONE time in the wrong circumstance to KILL you. Is that few dollars saved really worth buying cheap and dangerous shit??? Sure as hell not for me!

Oh, and hey there, boys and girls, did you know that 100% of the big-ass 17" to 24" wheels you see on a lot of vehicles now are made in China? That's right, 100% of them are cheap Chinese shit, rolling down our roads at 80 mph...as are many of the wheel bearings and axle bearings, too. Just some more shit to look out for while driving down the highway - broken 22" bling wheels snapping off a moving vehicle - oh, what fun!

BTW, I'm glad you are OK! POS tools can be replaced...limbs, not so much.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  5. :( man... that's sad

no one makes us purchase cheap shit... so why do we?

my grandfather used to always say "I won't step over a dollar to pick up a nickel"

6. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

HOLY CRAP! that sucks dude. hope it heals up good... i've long been a hater of that Chinese SHIT but have to admit i've bought a tool or two from them out of desperation. i never expected much out of them though (longevity wise) but i never gave any thought to the damn things catastrophicaly failing!

7. Yup... their own "Industral Revolution" is much like ours was... but it's happening today when we all know so much more and we should all know the difference between right and wrong.
    a recent example... http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4586903n

8. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks God your hand will be OK !

I've been to China many times installing heavy machine tools and working at the factory level. They have no idea of safety standards or quality in production for their own people and less for the foreigners, who they view as inferior to the Chinesse people. If someone dies in an industrial accident, there are a thousand more that will take his place.

I buy American no matter what the cost, especially if there's safety involved.

9. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

glad your ok i never got shit from harbor that was worth a fuck ..

10. Vergil

Vergil

11. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

not even close. Japan actually built some high quality stuff (for the most part). China is writing a whole new book on shoddy quality.

12. Walker sold their jack division to Lincoln many years ago, in the '80s or early '90s. SFAIK the name is dead now, along with the designs. Lincoln then made their cheap jacks in China (Lincoln Guardian) & I believe the higher stuff was at least partially made in China.

The Lincoln company was sold a couple of more times, at least the jack portion, & now the Chinese parent company is selling jacks under the old Hein-Werner name, which are actually the American Lincoln designs...and allegedly now, again, made in the USA... http://www.shinnfuamerica.com/Products/Product_Categories.aspx?ID=6

Hein-Werner also makes engine stands, hoists, jack stands, & shop presses.

13. Yeah, but at one time you could buy Japanese tin toys like a little train that if you looked inside you could still see the Coca-Cola and Sprite logos from the cans it was made out of. You just have to be old enough to remember crap like that, is all.

14. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Hey Notebooms--please post of a pic of the exploded/failed engine leveler. I'd like to see it to compare it with the one I have. I didn't get mine at HF--bought it at my swap meet. But it's surely imported.
    It's got an acme thread on it--I'd be interested to see what failed on yours, and if the threads are the same, etc.

And since someone else posted that theirs did the exact same thing, I (and I bet others) would like to see the failure to make a determination if ours are okay, or are on borrowed time until the pin gets pulled.

-Brad

15. Loppy

Loppy

American made=american jobs

16. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Its not just Harbor freight anymore, half the so called brand name stuff sold in Sears and Lowes is made in china now...its getting hard to NOT by chinese crap. We, and I include myself, need to quit shopping for price, and go back to quality first, price second. I'm fed up with junk breaking. I just used a 1/2" "heavy duty" black and decker drill for the 3rd time and it started eating its brushes.

It's false economy when you have to buy 3 to equal the life of one good tool.

I hope I never have to read of someone on here getting crushed under a car because of cheap jacks......

17. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I hate to say this old addage,but people get what they pay for.
    Aluminum is the same way when cast abroad or even down south when it is used by competitors for head, intakes and quickies. We cast locally.
    I have a Carolina 4000 enging hoist, It's built great, The bolts that
    hold it together have fatigued over the course of 18yrs of use,but never have failed.

Have had many a hemi w/a trans on it. It has never let me down.
    Used a friends imported hoist rated about the same capacity as
    the Carolina for his car,We started to hear a cracking type sound when lifting a
    an 49 Cad/trans asy. let the ram down and noticed cracked paint arount the welds of the break down unit. Luckily we didn't go any higher and we didn't get injured.

Watch that imported stuff, your life may depend on it.

18. F1James

F1James

China is suppose to start sending autos over here in the next year or two.This should make the yugos start to look good.

19. hanginlow58

hanginlow58

SHIT !! I was going to post a warning about these because mine also flew apart from a roll pin holding the nut on the end fell out, scared hell outta me , and mine did not come from harbor freight came from speedway so if you have one weld the nuts on the end, here is some pics. of mine.

Attached Files:

20. lolife

lolife

Yep, never had a chain explode yet.

21. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

I also agree that we need to stop buying the cheap crap, but then there is reality. I need a bench vise for my garage. I was looking at the new Wiltons at Home Depot -- all Chinese made, but a 5" for about $50. I went to Wiltons website and they still do have some that are USA made, but a USA made Wilton would cost me a week's wages (well after tax and 401k wages)!!!! I am still hoping to find a used one, but eventually I will likely end up with a Chinese made Wilton:(

22. Regarding U.S. made versus Chinese made tools:

Several weeks ago I had to take the seats out of my Seventies driver to install a carpet kit. Well as usual, one bolt was partially blocked by the trans crossmember. Not knowing what kind of tool would fit up in there, I ran to Sears and picked several different sockets and a ratcheting crescent wrench; $41 dollars for three items. I wanted to buy a 1/2 inch crow's foot wrench, but Sears only sold them in a pack of five or so, the cheapest being $50 and the selections $100. I also wanted to buy a 1/4 inch universal joint, but no, Sears only sold them as a group of three. I just couldn't see spending well over a hundred dollars for some tools I wasn't sure that I needed at this particular time.

Well, several days later I was at AutoZone, and saw that I could get a set of cheap Chinese made crow's feet for $18 and a single 1/4 inch universal for a couple of dollars. I ended up buying the Chinese made tools simply because of economics. Yes the Chinese crow's foot might round out after a while, but for what I needed at the time, it will get the job done without spending a fortune!

23. I doubt it unfortunately but it wouldn't hurt to talk to someone. The ambulance chasers typically work on a percentage of the award.

What I expect is that the company that made it...say it is OneFlugDung...will go out of business the day the case gets to court. A new company, not responsible for the liabilities of the old company...call it TwoFlugDung, will be making the same product the same day in the same location.

Same thing happens with the stuff they R&D from good US products...Chinese R&D= Ripoff and Duplicate (poorly)

24. NOTCH

NOTCH

Glad to hear your ok buddy.. and for that stupid ass Harbor freight crap, throw that shit in the dump....
    Notch

25. blacktopbutcher

blacktopbutcher
    from Rindge, NH

Glad to here you are OK Scott. I will have to send you some of that good ol moonshine to take the edge off for you.

26. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

The US Gov't, the Chinese Gov't & the Chinese companies have been screwing us for years! Companies like Mao-Mart that sell their junk should be avoided at all costs. Most Americans seem to want cheap shit & won't pay for quality, then they wonder why them or their pets get poisoned...

If you really want to get scared, start looking around at all of the crap imported from China that surrounds us everyday! Look in the supermarket (canned goods, instant food, steaks), the hardware store (fasteners, tools, etc), the auto parts store (brakes, rotors, fuel pumps, bearings, etc). BTW- the Turks are making some of the best bearings now, because many of the US companies have gotten out of the business due to lack of sales.

I will NOT put any Chinese parts on my cars or buy their tools, because I value my life & limbs. Their steel is just plain dog-shit! Even the Koreans make better tooling!

Give China the "Singlefinger Salute"!!!

American products = American JOBS!

27. TIN INDIAN MAN

TIN INDIAN MAN

Like ZMAN, I had a "friend?" give me one of the levelers that IM sure came from HF. Thats enuff for me to put it on the scrap pile.

Capt.Zorro told about the jack letting go. In my career I saw 3 that died under cars, that were raised on bumper jacks in the soft sand here. ( not smart at all)

I try to keep my cell phone in my pocket, and just hope IM able to use it if I get in a tight spot

28. stagernwings

stagernwings
    from tx

China ultimately will kill our kids dogs and us in time bummer.c

29. I know what you mean about food. We took a liking to Tilapia (Fish) but look carefully at the package. Some is from Canada, some is farm raised in China.....
    I drove by the fish farms when I was in China.....I will not eat Fish from China.
    On an interesting note. They take a different approach when taking Hogs to market. They kill'em first, then stack them on trucks like cord wood and haul'em into the city. Most are probably consumed the same day, bt what a strange site going down a four lane and passing the "meat wagon"...man this post is getting off track.

If you really want to get scared, start looking around at all of the crap imported from China that surrounds us everyday! Look in the supermarket (canned goods, instant food, steaks),

30. testpilot

testpilot
    from Denver

I used to gather engine's and others parts at local JY's . I liked a certain pick your part junk yard here in denver. they kindly supplied engine lifts NIce heavy duty units they even install 2 ton chain hoists on all there units.. apparently they had a few special customers that would steal the chain hoists...so they would weld the chain hoist to the unit and went with the cheaper HF units. i was removing a cadillac 500 it was about 3' out of the engine bay and faster than i could say oh shit ... the chain hoist drop the engine back into the motor bay ... straight down ... the chain was fine but the dam locking tab broke and i almost lost my life... i was so thankful it dropped straight down into the engine bay and not on ME ...