Register now to get rid of these ads!

Earls Pearl, The whole story

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gripelec, Nov 10, 2008.

1. gripelec

gripelec

Ok,the car known as Earls Pearl is a 1955 chevy 2door hard top bel air and was customized in 1958 in Houston.The car is nosed decked and shaved a set of split Pontiac bumpers with buick bullets not sure what year probly 56 as is Alot of it.56 corvette grill quad and canted frenched head lights,hood and trunk corners have been rounded,front and rear pans are rolled,the crome trim cleaned up,57 packard tail lights double butted 59 steering wheel,Pearl white with candy fogg.Caddy sombrerros.The front upper and lower arms along with backing plates,tie rods,and linkage has been crimes and still is.white naugahyde in the usual pleat and roll style for the interior.It took three years to complete.The guys who created the car was a man named Jim Bishop of Cincinnati Ohio,and roburt leslie of Houston and Jim Earl.The original paint was sprayed by Ray milburn of Houston at the end of 1960 while Bpb Durant did the stiching.Total cost between 1958-1960????? 4,000 dollars.It won first in full custom class in 1962 in Dallas Texas,Autorama hosted by a club called Quartermilers and the NTTA in a town called larivee in North Texas.The car from what I can gather so far was wrecked and ended up in a scrap yard.A man named Lonny Hockey from Burnett Texas baught the car and drve it high school and then it was in a tornado and was parked for 20 years till a man named Kerry Jennings found of a cedder patch where the previos owner left it on his way to nam.In 1987 Kerry purchased the car and took to Winfields shop in Los Angeles.at one time it was thaught that Barris had worked on the the lights but did not.Barria sent Jennings to petterson publishing to find any publishing of the car in barrios hot rod magazines but came up blak through the years of 55-61.Jennife in the mean time proceeded with the car and winfield made some hub caps for the car.the car was sold to a west coast guy from 1988-1991.Jennings re purchased the car and braight it back to Texas.At a swap meet Jennings found a coppy of 1962 and the pearl was on the cover.He was amazed.The car had one 1st place at the auditorium in Dallas for full custom.Jimmy Vaughn a well known musician and brother of the late Stevie Ray Vaughn and former owner Mike Junk both had a copy of the Cars magazine at the street style show with car on the cover.Mike whose mother owns a local austin famous hamburger joint became Intrested in the car and purchased it.Jennings and mike re did the car and got it ready for the 1992 Dallas autoramma and won first place for full custom.The car was reunited with Jim Earl for a quick reunion at that time.I wish I could have been there to hear the stories that were told about that car.Mike had a run in with Jpnny Law and Spent some time away from the car.Mikes girlfriend at the time got a hold of it and messed it up pretty bad.It was in storrage and the fluids had been drained out.She drove like a bat out of he'll and over heated the motor,put water in it,cracked the block and on the way back the hood flew up and crashed against the roof ruining the hood like evryone saw it at pistons and paint.The car was parked and left for dead.I found it at Austin V Dub on the out skirts of Austin and fell in love with not knowing what it was or the history had to have it.I went back over and over again just trying to find out about the car and dreaming that one day I could own it.My persistance paid off.One day about a year latter and several threats by the guys at the shop to stop comming around I got a call from mike.We made a deal and without having the money said I'd buy it.My girlfriend now wife got a loan and I still to this day have know idea how the he'll I pulled that off talked her into getting a loan for the money.2 days latter I contacted Mike and we met for the first time at Frans Hamburgers.That has got to be one of the best days of my life.The pearl was finnaly mine.After 6 1/2 the car is on the road with the help of a hand full of guys Mark that owns the coupe that was next to me and the pearl at the show,Doyle Dew,Bob Bleed who made the hood at least fit on the car again thanks bob,Tje guys at Allies automotive for their shop and expertise,Roy Bartlet (Rip),Bill at the machine shop who assembled the mptor cause I was sick of messing with it after two flat cams,mike G for doing the heads,and last bit not least my wife who lined me the money after being with my crazy ass for only six months and seeing my vision.I hope y'all enjoyed this story it's one he'll of a car.To see the car search pistons and paint and you will find pics of it.I would post picks but don't know how,sorry

chryslerfan55 and bowie like this.
  2. gripelec

gripelec

Mark Ford sorry Mark for not putting your last name...

3. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

the pearl is amazing. Thanks for being a hero and saving this car.

4. gripelec

gripelec

The fidgiter has pics

5. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

Congrats man! Great story...Killer car

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  6. cracker head

cracker head

car and its story are awsome! what are your future plans for it?

7. Lee_ATx

Lee_ATx
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Here's some more pics........

Attached Files:

9. gripelec

gripelec

I'm probly going to drive like this for a while.Im waiting for the right people to work on it with me.I'm in no rush but I want to restore her the way she was back in 1962.The magazine articles help and there's a man I met who has access to a picture from the actual show in 1962 I met today thanks to this site and networking.He said he's going to tryto get it,man that would be soooo cool. anyways that's my plan.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. gripelec

gripelec

Thanks for the pics Mark.

11. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

The car fuckin rules dude.

12. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Thank Fidgeter, I just moved 'em from his thread to yours!

13. slammed1

slammed1

Very nicely modded for a 55

14. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Coolest car in Austin.

15. Anderson

Anderson

Very cool story. I really love that car...

16. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

Very Very awesome story thanks for posting it was amazing to see it at the show

17. 31whitey

31whitey

I cant wait to see it.

The car has so much cool stuff going on and it works.

one of the best customs ever....

Really crazy its been through all that, and Im sure more, and it still rules.

18. falfas55

falfas55

That is a great car. Glad you have it. It'll be nice to see it restored back to it's glory.Keep everyone posted.

19. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

damn ... i love that car!

20. littlechris

littlechris
    from MILWAUKEE

Im glad to see its on the road having fun again- awesome Graham

21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Congrats, great car, it looks like it is in amazing condition for how old it is. welcome to the 55 chev custom club

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  22. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

What a cool car.

23. westcoaster

westcoaster
    from SoCal

wow, nice custom. is that 55 sidetrim with the vertical piece removed (Earl's car)?

24. Simmer Down Earl!!!! Simmer Down!!!

Graham, from the first time I saw that car in your garage I knew it was kick-ass. I'm glad you took it to Pistons and Paint and think it looks good just the way it is. Congrats bro.

25. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

Does your wife have any idea of what she took a loan out for?

Or does she just love you and do whatever she can?

If you need help restoring it to whatever level, I'm down the street in Houston and do this for a "living". Keep me in mind.

26. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

gripelec, That is one REALLY Great lookin' '55 Chevy that you have there.I saw the pictures of it at Pistons 'n' Paint and thought I would like to own it meself!!!!:D:D GREAT CAR MAN,You're a very lucky man to own it.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  27. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I'm kind of up in the air on which '55 is my fav. Either way, yours and Mark's '55s are the tits, hands down the 2 coolest '55 Chevies ever. I can't wait to hopefully see this thing at the Roundup when I come down.

28. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

I really want to make out with that car.

29. scrape

scrape

i dontno all those teeth might get in the way.... lol...
    ...cool car though....

30. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

Congrats on gettin' her running finally and on the trophy at P 'n' P. Sure was a crazy weekend. Thanks for sharing the history and lettin' me ride in it! -Michael J.