Register now to get rid of these ads!

Throttle cable help.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alex1954chevy, Nov 10, 2008.

1. alex1954chevy

alex1954chevy

hey guys. i just droped a V8 in my 54 chevy belair. i went to kreagan auto parts and got a universal throttle cable (spectre part number 2431. and bracket 24283) I Installed it and evrything was sweet. well i drove my car about 6 blocks to get my exhaust done and on the way back i lost my throttle. it seems like the bracket that bolts on to my carb got hot and melted a plastic retrainer from the kit. damn cheap china crap huh. well i dont wanna drop another 40 bucks and risk this happening again. so tll m guys. what are you running for throttle cables. :confused:
    thanks

2. alex1954chevy

alex1954chevy

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

im running the lokar cable..so far 5000 miles and no issues

just for the record its in my 53 with V8 ..not the car in my avitar

4. alex1954chevy

alex1954chevy

lokar huh, hmm im gonna cheak it out thanks for the help man.

5. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

I recommend a junkyard factory unit. Much better quality IMO
    Ron

6. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

Are you just in need of the throttle cable end and receiver for carb? Can you use a post and collar..? Screw post on carb and collar that slips over post. Easy parts to find..not sure what you have on carb end of cable..

Am I understanding the issue ?

7. alex1954chevy

alex1954chevy

i thought about junkyard but the universal cable seemed easier and cleaner. if i go to junk yard any ideas of what car i should yank the throttle assembly from that works well

8. alex1954chevy

alex1954chevy

i wanna post pics . how do you do that. haha this is turning into a thread in a thread

9. Tcoupe

Tcoupe

uhhhhh...if your carb is getting that hot to melt plastic, you've got more serious problems.

10. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I always run a metal rod ... ALWAYS.
    Easy to make ... most speed shops sell the ends and it is a simple matter to thread a round bar stock ...

NEVER had one fail ... :D

11. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

12. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

If your engine ground strap is missing, it can cause this.

13. 1lowlyf

1lowlyf

can you tell me what gas pedal set up you are using.I have updated my engine to a 68 chevy 250 6 cyl having trouble with gas pedal and linkage.
    thank you in advance
    ty

14. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I used the spoon pedal/cable assembly from Speedway in the '53 Chevy with a small block and 200r4. Used a chrome bracket thingy on the carb and had to use an adapter to run the stock kickdown cable to the Holley 650. Works fine, but I'm going to change it eventually. The plastic keeper from the cable that snaps into the bracket broke but a zip tie and a hose clamp temporarily fixed it.

15. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

I use a bicycle cable,
    seriously.

16. I'm partial to junkyard 1968 Torino set ups, they work great on Chevy applications and easily bolt up to the firewall using self-tappers.

Bob

17. I'm with Deuce.

Heim joints and stainless rod.

Dual quad linkage.
    [​IMG]

Throttle rod
    [​IMG]

Very simple, goes right through the firewall to the home-made spoon type throttle.

About $30. to make.
    1/4" Heims are about $7. for quality ones.

Best part about throttle rod and a spoon type throttle is, if the throttle sticks you can push on the top part to bring it back to idle.

No can do with a cable linkage....

18. Single quad setup.
    [​IMG]

Gennie Shifter throttle spoon.
    [​IMG]

15 years down the road and the throttle spoon is as tight as it was when new.

19. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Very true, that had slipped my mind. I have seen plastic sleeved speedo cables do the same thing for the same reason.

I don't think the carb is building too much heat, the engine is trying to ground to the body via your throttle cable.
    replace the cable and run some good ground wires. I recommend one from the block to the frame, one from the block to the body/firewall, and one from the block to the battery. You can NEVER have too good of a ground circuit.

20. 38plymouth

38plymouth

Happened to me as well. I thought the cable had simply seized up but when I got it out it just crumbled in my hands.

21. Camaros use to have this problem with the auto shifter cable after an engine swap. The ground straps would be left off and the cable would heat up and melt the plastic liner.

22. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

The cleanest one I've used is a Toyota unit from about mid 70's, nice fire mount of hard composit material, 2 bolts through the fire wall then cut the plastic covered flexable steel to size, I think the dealer would still be able to order you one I got mine in June of last year from a dealer