Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the hot rod world in Australia like?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 26trackt, Nov 5, 2008.

1. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rugby? No normal person likes rugby, thats for the in breeders!
    I have lived in every capital city with the exception of Hobart. The life of a soldier!!
    Don't come to Queensland, what a mistake that was. No one fucker in the state is a decent driver, I never thought I would long for Sydney traffic again!
    Perth is a fantastic place, just very small car culture there. If you can handle the cold Melbourne is probably your best bet.
    Personally my next move will be to Canberra. Well situated only 4 hours south of Sydney and 7 from Melbourne. Close to the two best car centers in Oz and a nice place to live if you can get used to all the roundabouts!
    Just remember a cheap build here will set you back 25-30 grand. Houses start at 350,000 bucks and petrol is double what you pay.
    Doc.

2. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

PS, the opposite rotating whirlpool is not a myth though it doesn't work in toilets. There are a lot of variables that control the action. The container the water is in needs to be round, not odd shaped like a toilet and the way the water enters the system is also a big factor.
    To achieve the different directions of travel you need perfect conditions. Somehow I doubt you would get that with a big nugget and wad of paper in there.....
    Doc.

3. And hospitals are free.

You can have private health insurance if you like.

Coffee is espresso, even at McDonalds.

Not all Australians are the same.

Some Australians should realise the US is not the same all over either. It's dangerous to generalise.

And finally, this is reaaaallllyyyy O/T.

4. "Just remember a cheap build here will set you back 25-30 grand. Houses start at 350,000 bucks and petrol is double what you pay"

And the rest.....!!

Rat

5. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, I wasnt trying to scare him too bad!

6. The trouble with Orstrarleear, is it's full of Aussies:p

7. Thats funny, i always say the same about New Zealand

8. GlenC

GlenC

Then you haven't been to the Gold Coast recently...

Pretty much all of NZ is living right here, the ones that don't like the freezing cold and constant bloody rain anyway. I'm surprised anyone's even left over there to turn the lights off.

Anyway, back O/T on this very O/T subject, yes, a visit or two is definitley the way to go. With the Aussie $ bringing about 65c US at the moment and summer on the way you should be able to get a pretty cheap fare, and accommodation is readily available and not expensive at all at the moment. Don't come in December/January as that's school holidays so you'll pay premium room rates for accommodation, but it goes quiet and gets cheap in February again until around Easter.

Cheers, Glen.

9. 37coupeute

37coupeute

Personally......I think the hotrod world is good and getting better.
    dont know if its trends, the 00,s or the HAMB. but cars are definitely getting cooler.
    high dollar or low dollar, local or import, stuff is really looking good.

I say its the HAMB influence on the scene.

The more Americans that moove here the better I say.
    this IS the lucky country.
    and the bludgers the Government is bringing in just kill me!

Need a Refrence? COME ON DOWN.

TIM.

10. my girlfriend is looking to make the move here next year from atlanta.
    good luck with your venture.

11. striper

striper

But you can get a decent cup of coffee :p

Oh, I wouldn't concern myself too much about the indoor plumbing ;) We even have the magic picture box over here now

12. 26trackt

26trackt

Post some pictures of your rides while I’m processing all this data. I’m also wondering what your version of a ’65 Impala (or something else of that nature) looks like. We’ll need a family beater when we come over (for how ever long that may be).
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    If you want to know what my ’26 roadster looks like…just imagine a rusted out burn barrel. Check out my profile to see some of my Dad's stuff.

13. Well... you asked for it. This is the '65-ish model of our GM product, the EH Holden. :)

[​IMG]

14. toddc

toddc

I know that not all Texans are gun nutters, but firearms are difficult to get here, and forget about a permit to carry.

Do some really good homework on housing before jumping in and moving. A friend of mine came from Zimbabwe about 7 years ago when things were really ugly. He picked Mosman as a place to rent a 3 bedroom unit, before finding a job, because it was a nice distance from the city (Sydney). But it turned out that the rent was more than he could earn.
    Then bought a car from a dealer who saw him coming. It wasn't long at all before he was in deep financial shit.

As for political problems? Same as anywhere else in the developed world. Lots of BS, but nothing is a huge problem.
    We do drive on the other side of the road. Some people ( car people at that ) can't get used to it.
    Our electricity is 240 volt, so figure on all new tools and appliances.
    We only have 7 free to air TV channels, at least 6 of which will be playing some type of sport on a Sunday afternoon.:eek:
    We also have some of the worlds most dangerous creatures, but I don't think they're a problem compared to wolves and bears.
    Dropbears are pretty scary though.

As for old cars lying around? Check this out, one of the best threads ever.:)

http://www.ozrodders.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=5602

15. 26trackt

26trackt

That's a Chevy (Holden)? Looks to be about the size of our Nova. Anything Bigger? Two doors? Hardtop?

I can dig it. I do really love cars this size. Our Nova, Dart, & Falcon come to mind. I am partial to our Falcon but I'm certainly the minority. I've had a Dart...best car I ever had & it always drew a crowd. The Novas are very popular here.

Four doors get almost no respect here but that is changing. The change is very slow but it is happening. Some of my favorite cars are four door hardtops. '57 Chevy (much prettier profile than the two door), '57 Buick/Olds 4door wagon hardtops. '65 Impala (there are not a lot of these but they are usually loaded with top notch factory goodies of thier time), & my favorite...'71 Chrysler Imperial. I understand 4door sedans are the norm there & you don't get bagged on for cruisin' them.

I like how the body frames the grill & bumpers. Looks custom. How much grief would you have by putting that front roll pan on the pavement. Your baby is screaming for a heavy rake.

It may be run of the mill for you guys there But I like it. I guess 'cause it's different to me.

16. Robza

Robza

If you would like to check out some of the cars we build down here check out this Link

http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd155/robza1928a/Bright Rod Run 2008/

This is from The 2008 Bright Rod Run, getting to be one of the biggest Runs in Australia. 850 entrants cars with just as many cruising the main street in town. Might Sound small to you guys but if you think of it per capita it's pretty damn good.

We build a variety of cars down here. Hot Rods, Street Rods, Kustoms Classics etc... everything from backyard jalopies to trophy winners.

There's a small but growing traditional hot rod scene here as well which are building some great cars as well.

As far as where to live i personally would choose either Melbourne or Perth. Both have their advantages and disadvantages as have already bene stated. I'll be relocating to Perth from Melbourne in the next year or 2. Each city has a great lifestyle.

And you'll have a ball just learning our great Aussie Language. Such as

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]ant's pants - height of fashion, or to think highly of yourself
    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]ay - pardon me
    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]barking up the wrong tree - labouring under a misapprehension
    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]beaut, beauty, bewdie - great, fantastic
    dry as a dead dingoes donger - I'm thristy
    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]hoo-roo - good bye
    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]keen - very interested
    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]middy/pot - 285 ml beer glass[/SIZE][/FONT]
    pint - bigger than a pot and what real mean drink
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]missus - your wife
    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]perve - to gaze with lust

and theres many more :)
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
    Hope this helps.

Rob

17. striper

striper

If you want something bigger with 2 doors you could try ...maybe ...a '65 Chevy Impala. ;) Alas, no. Our car industry is relatively small so we didn't have the range of body styles. Not until the late 60s to early 70s when we started getting a few trickle in. In the mid 60's your real only option for 2 doors would be a Falcon or a Valiant. Still only mid sized cars. V8s weren't common either until the late 60's except in early Fords (flatheads) or in the family 4 door Customline.

If you're coming, BYO car. You'll never lose $$ on it out here.

By the way, I have to agree on the 4dr GM hardtops of the mid/late 50's. Nice.

Oh yeah. On the rake on that EH. Minimum ground clearance of 4" applies.

18. 26trackt, the Australian made cars here pre 65 were the size of your compacts, cars got a little bigger in 67. There are plenty of falcons around, and valiants if you prefer mopar. American cars were available but parts are harder to get. The purchase price of american cars is pretty high and the price of parts are not cheap. Two door cars in Australia are bloody scarse and command a high price. But because everyone has 4 doors nobody gives a shit.

19. And the new Pontiac G8 is a LHD rebadged and built here version our garden variety family car. New Camaro platform? Same.

For all you guys stating raw $ comparisions, you have to factor in exchange rates - not to mention differing pay scales. Eg, the minimum wage is higher in Australia. Waiters etc get paid by the employer, they don't live off tips etc. And if any of you Australian guys have shopped in both Walmart and BigW or Target you'd know that the range of clothes and prices are very similar - including blue jeans for less than $25. They're all the same because they're all made in - where else - China.

Last year I prices a pair of Ray Bans for my wife in LA but didn't get them - same price back home. So it's swings and roundabouts.

20. 26trackt

26trackt

Min 4" ground clearance. Wise? Sure. Leagal? alright. Cool? Nope. I can see that I'll get into a lot of trouble there. This is due to your strict regulations? Are any of you working with air bags (or hydrolics of yor)?

We are still waiting for that Camaro. The latest GTO that we got from you guys was a rockin' monster but it couldn't make it. We are currently enjoying the G8 based on the same platform. We are getting some bad ass stuff from you Aussies.

I've been taking a vacation from the news lately but I here GM is in dire straits. Is that translating to trouble for holden?

Does Ford, Mopar, or anyone else over there have any kick ass cars like the Holden seems to?

How much would a '65 Impala bring there? Will LHD cars pass there? Would bringing my own beater for vacation be worth it? Food for thought.

21. Oh please, only wogs drive commodore's and Monaro's. The ausssies drive ute's. Ford make a straight 6 turbo ute and the Boss V8, the 6 kills em.
    Real Aussies drive ute's..........lol soooo cheesy.

23. 26trackt

26trackt

Ya'll are light on V8s. You must be getting handy at building power with I6 & V6. Mopar's slant 6 is the bastard child that wont die here. Do you have this little brute? The 350 small bock chevy is the tried & true belly button found in the bay of everything here. What is the prefered generic motor for you?

24. This will be interesting. If someone mentions the 2fluffy3 ...............by jeez (**insert raised fist**)

25. striper

striper

LHD cars over 25yrs old are registerable in Australia. No problem.

26. Ford australia got compact fairlaines with the windsor V8 (221 & 260) up until 64 also some galaxies, but none in the aussie made fords until 67 the XR falcon ZA fairlaine(aussie fairlaine) with the 289 followed by the 302 and 351 windsors. With the late xw falcons came the 351 cleaveland, Australia also produced a 302 clevland . Holden had no V8 until 1967 when they got the 307 and 327 chev(the HK holden)and later the 350(HT,HG and HQ, the last holden with a factory chevy V8 apart from the modern stuff, if i remember rightly) also while this was happening holden also realeased it's on V8's the 253 and 308(people either love them or hate them, i'm not a fan). Chrysler realeased the 273 in its cars a little earlier,maybe in 66(the VC or it may have been the earlier AP6 i'm no valiant expert) and later the 318 and 360 but the hemi 6(245 & 265) were the really hot performers. Of course GM and Chrysler also realeased the american import cars also, but it was in realatively small numbers. AMC also realeased some great cars here that were often V8 powered bit again in small numbers. there is no shortage of V8's to use for a hot rod, windsors, cleveland, flatheads, chevys can be had realitively easily, but you wont find many Hemi V8 or nailhead or olds rockets without payin premium price or gettin real lucky.
    Oh yeah we have the leaning tower of power(slant 6)here, good reliable motor.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  27. Good stuff.
    The 245 was not very good, well against the 265 anyway, and we also got the 340 in the E55 chargers.

28. true, i didn' t forget the 340 but i wasn't sure weather we actually got it. you would be fuckin lucky to find one these days though

29. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The main motors we have in abundance here are the ubiquitous 350 Chebby, next along you see either 351 or 302 Clevo and Windsors. Like Moondog said Holden did the 253/308 motors, they are based off Buick V8s and are much more popular in the Street Machine world rather than in hot rodding.
    Im another that is not a fan of them (Even know Im building a 401 Nailhead!), there is plenty of go fast parts available for them. Crate motors are everywhere and seem to be the choice these days. I think its our hard line laws for rego that pushes a lot of guys away from the trad style of cars as its so much harder to get them on the street.
    You need to go through a structural engineer, the local inspector RTA, the local ASRF rep and the RTA office. They all make it hard and it costs money!
    Buy up 5or6 two door Yank cars and bring them with you, sell or swap for what you want over here. Like has been said before you will never loose out importing a car to Oz. Hell a $500 USD 64 Mustang will sell here $5 grand plus!
    We need all the trad rodders we can here, even if we import them. C'mon over, I dares ya'.

Doc.

30. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OH yeah, forgot the good Ol Flattie, there still out there but to a lesser amount. Im surprised there isnt more 6 and 4 banger cars over here but you just dont see them often.
    Doc.