Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Rare Pontiac race car found

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Dad, Nov 6, 2008.

1. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Yup, that was Don's son.

2. DropIt

DropIt

Ha! my parents live 20 minutes from this, me and dad might have to go check it out. Great piece of history found.

3. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a neighbor who picked up a 2+2 pontiac with 421 emblems on the fenders and core support. His wife wanted the car off the curb, so he would not wait a day till we decoded it, well it had chrome valve covers and other clues like console and gauges, someone got the intake, but the engine was clean inside,the 1" oil sludge covering the entire trans bell housing. Taking advise from a mopar friend indicated that it was probably a 307 pontiac smog, i being a lowly chevy guy, said there is no emissions on the exhaust or heads and only had a single fan belt, i bet it is a 421. Well he scrapped the entire car for $100, and the junk yard pulled and sold the engine for $800 the next day. Yeah...........it was a 421...........what an idiot..............

4. power58

power58

They used plexiglass windows to save weight over glass. Chrysler did the same thing with there race cars. Corning Glass made some light weight type of windows. The cars had a plate in the glove box that said not for road use compitition only or for timed speed events, can't remember which one. Cool thread.

5. Big Dad

Big Dad

Well," holding down the concrete floor"

( ) is a helleva lot better than crushed
    ( ) nice for it to survive for others to see
    ( ) Maybe , just maybe it deserves a pampered life, its family tree is short
    (x) all the above

6. I dig the fact that we get to see this story unfold before our eyes.

7. old33ford

old33ford

I would bet this is not one of the Pontiac Factory 1963 Tempests. They had aluminum hood and a two-speed transaxle that were not very beefy and generally replaced by the serious Pontiac (factory-backed) racers. Beswick had the "Grocery Getter" wagon with a hole cut in the nose to facilitate camshaft swaps. I would suggest this was just an old Tempest drag car that someone raced back then. Page nine of the original manual reads "this is achieved by adding another clutch and band-controlled planetary gear set to the rear of the differential carrier assembly on basically a 1963 Tempest automatic transmission"
    Hope this helps.

8. Hot Rodz R Us

Hot Rodz R Us
    Member Emeritus

Welcome to the HAMB.........nice info for first post:rolleyes:

9. Big Dad

Big Dad

Yeah, it helps .. go fuck yourself

10. Hot Rodz R Us

Hot Rodz R Us
    Member Emeritus

lmfao ! ! ! !

11. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Guess your one of those people that only looks at pictures and does no reading whatsoever????

Read all about it and you soon will find out that you made yourself look like a complete ass.

12. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

The VIN's been verified, and the whereabouts of the original aluminum front clip and original engine are known. The original owner pulled the transaxle (the SD transaxles were four speed, by the way) and replaced it with a big car Pontiac rear back when it was nearly new.

13. Big Dad

Big Dad

Well, jeez, come on, make one post and discount what several others have posted like he (or she ) knows more than anyone for god knows what reason

Its the real thing , or .. you really think it would be bid to closing in on 100 k ??

Yeah, its a spoof ..dipshit

14. Muttley

Muttley

Next time dont sugarcoat it. :rolleyes: ;) :D

15. I'm sure folks are trying to trace the ownership to get more comfortable about it's lineage.

I looked this auction over as I like 63's, and said to myself, I sure wouldn't want that much of a project. Silly me. :)

16. Big Dad

Big Dad

Well, I learned from the best (clears his throat) :D

17. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

C'mon Big Dad...his/her location says Scottsdale "Mecca of old car information"!!!!:rolleyes: Obviously this is being "well sold" and not "well bought".;)

18. Big Dad

Big Dad

Did it not seem that was some kind of damage control ?

19. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Probably posting hoping to keep some bidding away perhaps. Don't worry, I am way, way out of the bidding. If I sold ALL of my gold chains, I still wouldn't have nearly enough. It's all yours.

20. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

My thoughts exactly. I think this car is getting great money...on both ends. Once and if it gets put back together it will be WAY out of everyone's range. I just hope it then goes to a museum that allows visitors and not some guys "playground". I just can't imagine the damage that would have ensued if there was a $1500 Buy-it-now and it fell into the wrong hands.

21. 1 post I'd say that FNG was an expert !!! I'm still laughing >>>>.

22. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

quit bashing the FNG and focus on the topic. This is too good to get distracted with all the BS from the big shots (clears throat). I better brush my teeth, too much sugar.

23. fuzzface

fuzzface

New high bidder at $84,800

24. Big Dad

Big Dad

Zooms in like Batman(tm)

to save us a sparse 100k in these tough times, he's a hero and we treat him like this , we should be ashamed

:rolleyes:

25. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Read the questions, Jay Leno is bidding on the car now? No offense but I would love to see a pure Pontiac guy win and restore this car.

26. Big Dad

Big Dad

I'm still alive .. barely :(

27. History of tall money auctions bring out the heavy hitters in the closing minutes of the auction. I think the bidding will heat up towards the end if somebody don't get to the owner with a large ass pile of dough first >>>>.

28. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Definitely gonna be a good one to watch. Curious how much that fella in FL is gonna want to let go of that clip...

I'm guessing $145,900 on it.

Gotta love them SD cars...:)

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm amazed that it didn't get modified into a car for another class or hacked up in some other maner.

Even most of the paint is probably original.

From a guy who spent his teen age years as somewhat of a Pontiac nut. It's nice to see a piece of Pontiac performance history surface.

30. this isn't OT, I written this before about Micky Thompsons A/FX car. probably the 749 that is listed "fate unknown" . it was bought from Micky minus the 421 by Bob Porter at the same time Bob's daily driver and tow car for the lemans was the Doyle Gammel 32 3 window with a L-88 427.
    Bob altered the wheel base and added a straight axle and his stroked 389 (422 ci) and ran as one of the original Funny Cars. everytime we flat towed that late model with the coupe it was so much eyeball. that chopped and slammed 32 and the jacked up 63 (this was in 64-65) were exactly even across the two roofs. can you imagine what that pair would go for today! bad economy or not