Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage P & P Bound - Broke Downs South of Dallas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by geemann51, Nov 7, 2008.

1. geemann51

geemann51

Wow, what a trip so far. first lost my hood north of Waco, everyones fine fortunately, but my hood is toast as is the fresh candy paint, but running with Blake, Joyce, DW, and Buzzard, I now feel like I fit in with the 327 exposed.

Welll the initisal shock and frustration of losing the hood barely wore off as we were pulling into fuel up just north of Hillsboro and dangit, wouldn't you know, my trunk latch/cable is jammed and so there is no way to fill up.

Well AAA to the3 rescue, as I write this I'm riding shotgun in an International 4300 flat back towing the 51 into Denton. Lux and Debra Blue hoo's grasciously took my wife and daughter on ahead and after a heaping helping of DFW Friday afternoon traffic, we'll all reunite at the hotel and dig in and try to cut open the trunk somehow.

So if anyone has a cordless sawzall and maybe a hole saw that's in the area that wouldn't mind helping out, I could use a hand. I'll by the beer and ice tea.

My cell is 512-450-2866

See y'all tomorrow, you won't be able to miss me.....

Gregg

2. falfas55

falfas55

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. glad every bodies ok.

3. Anderson

Anderson

A hole saw? Surely you can get in there through the back seat somehow....Denton is full of little college girls who might be willing to squeeze in there and lend a hand!

Sorry to hear about it though...thats a gorgeous car!

4. Big Dad

Big Dad

I called him ..

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

G, call me if you need anything man... and tell everyone I said hi... sure am sorry to be missing it again.

6. I like the little college girl idea.

7. Elrod

Elrod

Listen to Fidgiter. He knows all about that stuff. He knows how to coax little girls into his trunk. :D

8. TexasDart

TexasDart

Can't you just take the back seat out and crawl thru to the trunk.

9. geemann51

geemann51

Spoke with Big Dad and sounds like he's Spicoli's Dad from Fast Times at Ridgemont
    High; "He's got this totally awesome tool set and can fix anything dude" LOL

No back seat access due to 8" tower notch, compressor and 8 gallon tank. At least I'm not going to fit through there.

I'm sure once we're all in the P lot of the Best Western with a cold one or two under our belts, things will come together.

Ryan you can do one ting for me; put a good word in for me with Gary Howard, it's going to take someone of that caliber to match the candy....

Thanks everyone...

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I will call him right now.

11. Faulty latch in front, stuck one in the rear... that sucks, glad it hasn't put too much of a damper on the weekend. Your car is rad btw, I looked it over at DOTD.

12. jerry

jerry

DAMN dude!

Glad to hear that you are still in fairly good spirits. Best of luck n the repairs.

jerry

13. Man Greg that is a royal bummer. It is good to here that there are some good Austin folk helping you out. Wish Dart and I could be there to lend a helping hand. Say hi to all who are there and sure hope you day tomorrow is better. There is a great show going on so I am sure it will be. :)

14. duste01

duste01

You werent on your way to a drive in were you? Glad your ok.

You might find a small kid and a flashlight.....

Thats how I got started.."can you get your hand down there son, my arm is too big" (changing plugs on a chev van)

15. Big Dad

Big Dad

16. Paul B

Paul B

My hood on my 50 blew open on me doing about 60. put a safety chain on the replacement. I kept my cool just looked out the side window . Scared the shit out of my nephew.

17. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

Well done.

18. belair

belair

Sorry to hear about your car. I saw it in Kerrville and DotD. It is fantastic. Whoever matches that paint is a wizard.

19. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

Damn, sorry bout the hood. Glad to hear the "totally awesome tool set" had what you needed to get the trunk open.

20. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

hate to hear it G that is such a cool car
    I bet your still geting the hard luck trophy you trophy whore :rolleyes:

21. bigken

bigken

Well, we can all hoist one tomorrow, and toast to the new paint.
    That does suck, though.

22. Big Dad

Big Dad

He got it open on his own, I was on the way with power tools, think I scared him

:D

23. geemann51

geemann51

Thank you BIG DAD and GRIS for the offers to help. As much of a pain this was. it was great to have a group project and something to doi while the beers were past.-. I can't thank everyone enough and who would ever thought Lux Blue and DW were contortionists. The Yay-hoos rule, I owe you all a rib eye dinner....

24. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Hah!
    the irony of the "contortionist" situation was this- with the exception of cutting tools, between our group, we had more tools than we knew what to do with. what did we finally use to get the trunk open?

D.W. found a peice of conduit in front of the hotel, and I monkey armed it to the bearclaw. after around an hour of digging g's gear out of a hole about the size of the opening of a mailbox, we could see the latch, and I could finally see that the little flipper that activates the latch. 30 seconds into it with the conduit, "click!" and the trunk opened. it took me longer to dig my big self out from in between the compressors, floor and package tray than it did to get it open!

Cool stuff I learned.

#1. spelunking sucks and I don't wanna do it.
    #2. 1 flashlight in Your toolbox is a good idea. 4 or 5 is a great one.
    #3. D.W. is a dangerous guy to work next to.He is liable to crack a joke while one of You is stuffed into a confined area and Kill You with laughter.
    #4. I thought I was pretty patient. I now know that G. has a patent on patience. Mellow and calm, defined.(which is pretty damn impressive, all things considered.)
    #5.Lobucrod's insulation makes for a much,Much more comfortable stay inside of the package tray area. keeps ya warm and cozy, too.

#6. fire extinguisher pins, while important, may not be completely neccecary.:D

25. Crazy, pics of the "operation"?

26. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Not unless You want a buncha pictures of Me and d.w.s buttcracks inside the car and about 15 people standing outside the car laughing at said buttcracks.

if I thought I could have held a camera so that I coud get a picture, I would have done it just to get a better look at it.

27. geemann51

geemann51

Does this hold true for hand grenades as well?

28. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

No. according to my membership status, I inspected craploads of them.:D

29. Flava J

Flava J
    from Austin, TX

The car still rules without the hood. Shawna deserves some kudos. She directed Greg to the side of the road since he couldn't see a thing.

Joyce

30. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

That is classic...I agree with # 4. I met G while waiting in line at a couple of different places on Sat. We talked a little about what happened as I too had a similar experience with my truck a few years ago.
    His attitude was just like you described..."Mellow and calm, defined.(which is pretty damn impressive, all things considered.)