Register now to get rid of these ads!

Los Angeles HAMBers - Need Recon on a Shipping Co.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stroked, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Stroked

Stroked
    from DFW, TX

Can anyone in LA help me out with this :) I'm a pretty trusting person, and it doesn't sound like the typical Nigerian scam, but I really don't want to get burned.

I listed my coupe in the classifieds and was contacted by a guy in Germany (recently registered on the HAMB, but zero posts) who says he wants to buy my car and have it shipped over there.
    Accoring to his profile here, he's a car dealer. I inquired about his shipping company last night and he gave me some contact info...

Has anyone used ASI (Auto Shipping International Inc.) before?

http://www.shipasi.net/

I guess my next question would be, if this checks out, how should payment be arranged to cover my ass (just in case :eek: )

- Matt

2. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

The company speaks German , so there is a good clue, call them see if they know the guy , If all pans out get the money transfered into a new account you can set up JUST for this transaction, when the money is in & clear , send him the car ( all shipping at his expense ) . That's how I'd tackle it . I send a lot of cars to Europe , I use Cal Shipping ( Swedes) but there are plenty of companies out here shipping to Europe. Good Luck.

3. rev106

rev106

Live in LA, never heard of them. Doesn't mean they don't exist however.

4. brandonwillis

brandonwillis
    from Tucson AZ

its a scam bro, i had something similar happen to me, sent me a fake money order. I waited for it to clear, and it did right away, but i felt it was still a scam so i waited about 15 days and on the 9th day the check bounced.

Selling stuff to people overseas is sketchy.

5. I would think they would ship out of Texas..they have ports there too.

It does not make sense to ship from TX to LA, then to Europe.

I'm not convinced its a scam, that part of it does not make sense.

6. i sold two off topic cars to aus. and did the same thing you are doing. tell him cash only my guy was legit and he did that. and get some fellow hambers for references.

7. Stroked

Stroked
    from DFW, TX

He's saying the car would ship out of Houston.

How does "cash only" work with an overseas buyer?

8. another weird thing is if you click on their pics or home is comes up with "404 not found", the email comes up different when you click on it and the last copyright was in 1996. kinda odd for a good biz......

9. my computer keeps eating my posts. long story short i told the guy in aus. cash only he said o.k. minus a grand because i only had one pink. the tow truck showed with cash. and then i drove and picked up the grand when i got the pink. if you want you can call me and i'll tell you the whole story. 916-952-7208

10. 38zephyr

38zephyr

Bank wire transfer is what I do , safest way to go . Once the money is in your account , they can pick up the car . Not like Pay pal or anything where it can be reversed , it is handled through the U.S. federal reserve . Done it probably 50 times without a problem . Everybody is scared of getting screwed obviously , don't be scared of people overseas just cuz' they are far away , they are just like us but talk funny ! Nigerian fake check bullshit is a far cry from 99.9% of the Aussie , Kiwi , German , Swede ETC. hot rodders out there. They are car guys just like us . I've dealt with a bunch of them and it's usually EASIER than dealing with some of the local tirekicking experts . As long as his money is good , who cares about the shipper , that's his deal anyway .

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  11. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I ship cars to Europe out of Houston. Lots of folks set up a new bank account just to receive a wire transfer and then close it afterwards.

12. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

Are you talking to this guy on the phone or just emails. Get to know him a little. Have him wire the money to your checking account. I would hope your bank will take money from people and not hand it out without you knowing. They(your bank) have a bank that it goes to first and then your bank puts it in "your" account. at least that what mine did. Hope it all works out for ya!

13. Stroked

Stroked
    from DFW, TX

Is a wire transfer not reversible?

I've heard all the stories about money orders and cashier's checks being reversed 2 or 3 weeks after the fact... and after the car has been shipped.

I know there are car guys everywhere, I just hear more bad stories than good about this stuff :eek:

I just got back in town. I'll try to call that shipping company this weekend or on Monday and give an update.

14. 32 Barn Car

32 Barn Car
    from Oregon

Yes , a bank wire can be reversed.I bought a car with a wire transfer and my bank sent it to the wrong auto dealer , on the same street with a name close to the correct one on the east coast. When I went over the papers that eve and noticed the mistake , had to wait 'till the next day , did not sleep much that night , the bank reversed it ........So it can be done..........Z.D.

15. 38zephyr

38zephyr

If the bank makes a mistake , like sending money to the wrong person , I'm sure they can correct it . It's not like the guy can just change his mind , or say he wants his money back , 2 totally different things . I'm saying I've done quite a bit of this and never had the least bit of trouble . Having said that , if Obama can get elected , anything is possible . Ask at YOUR bank exactly what they suggest .