Register now to get rid of these ads!

Something stinks. . .

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cyclone GT, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Cyclone GT

Cyclone GT

in the interior of the 66 Cyclone I'm looking at. It's not dead rodent's, was raised on a farm. It has a deep musty smell that stays on your cloths when you get out of the car, and it's got new seat covers. WTF is it? And what's the best way to rid the interior of the smell? The cars been setting in a out building for a while, maybe just need to open the windows for a few weeks?

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Mold?
    If it's in the seat foam or back side of the carpet I really don't think you can get it out. If it's a hard surface you'd have a chance.

3. Sounds like mildew.....

some odor absorbers:
    wadded up newspaper
    charcoal briquettes
    Ozuim - aerosol spray

4. Ol Deuce

Ol Deuce
    from Mt. U.S.A.

Pull back a seat cover and see if their are stains in the seats.!maybe something bigger was found dead!

5. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

The car could be a "Flooder" meaning that at some time it was in a flood, and may have had water standing in it for some time. Look under the seats
    carpets and especially the dash for signs of wet electrical parts, now well rotted, but long since dried out! Also leaking window gaskets can cause a long term water/mildew problem.

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Meanwhile, back aboard The Tainted Pork"

6. GEEZZER

GEEZZER

I had this old t-bird once,had this funny smell I could never get out, Then I remembered the guy I bought it from told he got it from his gramma's estate.Then I got to thinking, gramma must have died in this car.

7. 38plymouth

38plymouth

I almost bought a 65 t-bird a while back that was the same way. It had leather in it and the mildew was visible around the back seat and door panels. Looked like it could have been cleaned up but after I got out of it I could still smell it. Decided not to buy it for that reason. Had to wash my clothes later.

Too much trouble to go through the process of removing & cleaning the complete interior with no guarantee of success. Must of had foam in it. Shame too, it was a nice old car and the price was right.

8. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

I've read you original post again, and come to the conclusion the owner knows or knew of the problem there, because of the "new" seat covers. If you're really interested in getting the car, then maybe you're going to have to price in all new seats. That being, taking those seats out and having a good upholstry shop completely remove all the inner foam, and start all over again.

A 66 Cyclone would be a good buy, as they're aren't that many real Cyclones left.

When my Mrs was alive, she used to always tell me, you can't cover up a old smell, with a new smell.

Since you say it clings to you clothes after you sit in it, then I would say it is under those new seat covers. Normally I would say use white vinegar in a spray bottle, that will neutralize the smell. (works good for smoke smell on leather, and won't hurt the leather) White vinegar will also kill mold. (the acid in the vinegar)

Good luck.

HellRaiser

9. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

That's the great old car smell that never goes away until you rip out the entire interior.

10. boldventure

boldventure

An old school truckers cure for bad smells in reefer trailers is ground coffee. I've used it a couple of times and it has worked. I don't know if it's effective on a moldy smell though.

11. 1.Soak the crap out of the seats with fabreze then leave the windows open for a few days. 2.Pull the seat covers back and liberally apply baking soda to the seats. Work it in good with a hard bristle brush or broom and leave alone for 2-3 days then vacuum out. Reinstall covers. 3.If 1 or 2 don't work put a dead skunk in a trashbag and take a wiff from time to time. No matter what your car will always smell better than the bag.

12. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

I just laughed my ass off. I just ripped ass not 2 seconds before reading your title and it smells like sulfur and I`m about to pass out.

13. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

This is used on commercial aircraft as well,when in for a maintenance visit,especially in the galley and lav areas.

MAJOR FUNK to try and mask!

Works well though!

14. Cyclone GT

Cyclone GT

Skunk ass. . . works for me!

Seriously, lots of good suggestions, thanks. I was convinced there was no water damage from my first inspection, may have to take another look. I want the car, hard to find these days! Will post after another inspection.

15. Sometimes people commit suicide in their garage with the door shut and the engine running... and they don't find 'em for weeks.
    By then, they kinda just turn to goo.

JOE:cool:

16. 38plymouth

38plymouth

So that's where Mr. Magoo went.