Register now to get rid of these ads!

Son's find, Dad's jealous! '47 Super Deluxe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raceron1120, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Son hears about an old car sitting, said owner wants cash & car moved before winter. Son stops, he buys, picks it up tomorrow. Looks like a great project car - more pics & details after it gets home. oh and - yeah, it's got a flattie

UPDATE - 1 more pic in the dark.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  2. 54EARL

54EARL
    from Idaho
    1. A-D Truckers

Sweet and when people want stuff moved it is usually a bargain.

3. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

Man you realy know how to take a picture! ;)

4. cavistyle

cavistyle
    from baltimore

aint that the truth!

5. heh-heh... sorry it was pretty dark when he got there. Hope to have a few more pics tomorrow. I'm VERY curious to see what he's draggin' home this time. But here's one more - it IS a flattie, ain't it??

Attached Files:

6. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

Yeah its a 59ab engine with acouple ignition coils sitting on the intake? haha. looks like a clean engine.

7. Well he got it home tonight, it rolled onto the trailer, nothing locked up. One taillight and a couple of moldings are missing but otherwise it looks very complete. Dashboard is apart but looks like all gages & trim pieces are inside. Couldn't get the trunk open yet but could see the spare tire and some other stuff inside. Very solid, very complete. Popped the radiator cap, smelled antifreezey, popped the gas cap, smelled stale gassy... good signs there are no leaks. Gonna squirt some marvel oil into the jugs & try barring that flattie over this weekend. I think son got a heckuva deal, under $1,000... Does that sound about right?

Attached Files:

8. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

Nice score! what are the plans?

9. Looks like it'll be the next project after the '56 Fairlane is done. Will likely get a period correct custom restoration. Both son and I like to keep 'em right close to how they looked back in the day, even when doing the custom stuff. Maybe some safety upgrades (disc brakes, seatbelts), and then maybe some wide BSWs on painted stock rims, beauty rings & baby moons. told son it's his new minivan! You hit the engine ID correctly it's a 59A-B. If it's rebuildable it'll go back in, might need some input on beefing it up a bit, I know very little about those old flatheads. Maybe an upgraded tranny.

Attached Files:

10. Scott F.

Scott F.

Very cool find. Where abouts in MI are you? I'm between Lansing and GR and it's amazing the number of cars like that. Just sitting in someones yard or driveway. Most of 'em are waiting to 'get fixed up'.

Scott

11. Nice find. One of my favourite cars.

12. slammed1

slammed1

Nice find. Im not a fan of hardly any 4 doors but these days you take what you can get. Great job.

13. and
    Very cool find. Where abouts in MI are you? I'm between Lansing and GR and it's amazing the number of cars like that. Just sitting in someones yard or driveway. Most of 'em are waiting to 'get fixed up'. Scott

Well a 4 door wouldn't have been my first choice either but you're right about getting anything of this vintage and in this shape. And like the old ad said, this one is "not your father's Oldsmobile..." Those suicide rear doors make it even more unique - just don't see them on the average family sedan. And for the price-he just couldn't pass on it. Son said he got tons of looks, and cars making a hole for him while he was trailering it home - lots of thumbs up too.

Scott - I'm in the Howell area, about 35 miles east of Lansing. Son is about halfway between Howell & Ann Arbor. Yeah, the keepers are still out there, this one is proof they still lurk even in Michigan.

14. 416Ford

416Ford

Raceron, looking at the pictures I do not have the pieces your son would need. What I have left is all the 3/8" trim that went around all the windows on a 46. I do have a bunch of little trinket parts that I will box up if you or your son are in GR you can have. I am not using them.
    Looks like your son found pretty solid car for Michigan. How are the rockers on that one? And the bottom of the doors.

15. Scott F.

Scott F.

Ron,

If you need the parts he's talking about, I work in Grand Rapids (wyoming actually) but I could pick them up and relay them as far as Lansing if you'd like. Let me know.

Scott

16. 'Mo

'Mo

I love it!
    It would look great with a slight taildragger stance and skirts. Hollywood caps
    would be a nice period custom option.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  17. didn't get a lot of time to do a quality inspect but they appear fairly solid. Doors don't sag when open & the only hole I saw in the floor was a small one in the driver's front side, then some small stuff on the outside. Hoping to find out more about it this weekend.

Attached Files:

18. thanks! I'll PM & let you know details.

19. wvenfield

wvenfield

For a sitting Michigan car it looks very solid.

20. Look at the rocker boxes from underneath, near the front of the doors, and ahead of the rear fenders... use a pen or a screwdriver to poke at 'em, chances are your finger will go right through... even the best looking 41-48s have a little rocker box rot.

21. sololobo

sololobo

Good score guys!! Love those fat fender Fords, and like you a "No-Waiting", my buddies term for more doors, the suicide set makes that one really desirable and cool as hell. Had a 44 and a 46 2-dr sedan and loved both of them. Looks like a nice car to start with for sure. Congrats! and best luck on your build. I like that kinda dove gray color, sometimes "subtle" rules!!~Sololobo~

22. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

very cool score and under a grand makes is shweeter

23. yeah, those caps would look good on it. Thanks for the pic. He doesn't know yet which way he'll take it, it's gonna be on the "project list" but not very close to the top, if you know what I mean!

24. koolkemp

koolkemp

Any progress or updates on this one?