Register now to get rid of these ads!

I Remember why I hate car shows

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toqwik, Sep 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H3O

H3O

i have to deal with that all the time and my truck isn't exactly a hot rod. i go to the local cruise in nights. a couple of times it was cloudy but didn't rain and the true hot rodders show up in their rods. the others weren't there or are afraid of a lil clouds.

the only shows i'm goin to are where true hot rods are appreciated.
    not trailer queens and away from they guy that needs a history lesson.

2. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

If a horse show is a bunch of horses showing their asses to a bunch of horses asses............then what's a car show?

Chill and take a drive!

3. thepoz57

thepoz57

Preach.

4. sn33kyp3t3

sn33kyp3t3
    from Tucson, AZ

I personally like the shiny, primped rides, they're nice to look at. But that is as far as it goes. When I go to a car show, I go straight for the cars that look they are still being worked on.

I know if I ask a question about how something got fabbed or some issue resolved I'll get a straight answer and I know the owner will appreciate somebody who can acknowledge their hard work and creativity.

5. "Whining about Car Shows is the new flat black"

-KIRK!

6. Look, when you have a car at a car show, whether it's one of those weekly deals or an annual event you are bound to:

-Have some guy come up and tell you what's wrong with your car
    -Have some guy come up and tell you about the one he used to have that was nicer, faster, more rare.
    -Have some guy come up and tell you about the one he had with the ___ci engine. Only he's fulla crap since the engine he says he had in his car was never available.
    -Have some guy ask you if your old car has flame throwers.
    -Have some guy ask you to do a burnout.
    ----
    If you are also a late model EFI guy like me...
    -Have some old car enthusiast tell me how stupid it is to make newer cars fast.
    -Have some old car enthusiast tell me how newer cars have no personality.

I just laugh at the dumb stuff, because the other 90% of the comments are flattering and make it all worthwhile.

7. with the exception of those that are physically disabled and unable to build their own ride(sorry cripfink) there is no reason for perfectly healthy people to sub contract out a whole car except laziness and or lack of willingness to learn.
    if you have to ask yourself if you are a gold chainer you probably are .

8. How arrogant it is of any of us to think that our way is the only way.

9. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

I don't even waste my time. My roadster is for ME.

10. I can't say that I've NOT been someone who has "critiqued" someone else's car at a show. For me, you are just making comments that reflect your own personal likes and dislikes. But you would not have stopped to make a critique if something did not catch your eye about that car.

I used to be a car show junkie, going to everyone I could - I'm way over that. But I do try and go to different cruise nights and check out the different rides, who is building what, what's slick, what's different. Car shows used to be that way - for most, it's now how much you've spent in order to get that $3 trophy. "Hell, I spent X amount of dollars - I deserve it!" attitude that drives me nuts - no theme, no rhyme or purpose, just every high dollar part that can be bought and stuck on the car is done according to the latest fad.

But, it does keep our hobby alive when you think of it, as well as many, many builders here on this site that build cars for folks like this and depend on their money to survive. It's what keeps them "green" and able to build the jaw-dropping cars we see here as well. My hat is off to you for building cars for some of these type folks. You must have a tremendous amount of patience to put up with their likes and dislikes when it runs cross-grain to your own ideas .... I know it's a "means-to-an-end" but man you guys must suffere at times to do so!!!!!

11. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

I gotta tell y'all, the Jalopy Showdown at the dirt track in PA restored my faith in old tin. Although I didn't drive into the infield (I will next year) I have done a lap or two on that track with the Inliner's group around '98 or '99. I'm a daily driver year 'round of a '49 Chevy 1/2 T (spiritually stock, with period speed equipment and overdrive, radial tires) so I really don't fit in much of anywhere.

In (one of) the final analysis's "You vote with your feet"...meaning you're going to go where you feel most comfortable and where you will be accepted with all (most of) your eccentricities. Just MHO

12. daddio211

daddio211

I learned a valuable lesson many years ago. I was at a show with several buddies, we were all showing and hoping we'd get a trophy. Hey, I was like 16 and immature.

As I was wiping down my custom minitruck (this was 1988) a '70's Pinto comes rolling in next to me. I snickered and kept on wiping. Throughout the day we made many jokes about this Pinto's paint, seat covers, and headlight to taillight rainbow stickers.

One of my buddies never said a thing about it all day and finally someone asked him, "Hey Danny, what do you think of that piece of shit?"

Danny stood up and said, "I dunno, I haven't talked to the owner yet." and proceeded to the Pinto's owner. Thinking "this oughta be a riot" I tagged along with a shit eating grin.

Danny kindly walked up to the old guy and said hello and began asking about the car.

The guy tells him that he's been saving every penny for the past 12 months to do this car the way his 14 year old son wanted it before he died. Oh now I feel like shit! The guy couldn't afford a paint job so he bought a Wagner Power Sprayer and shot it in his car port. He saved up for some nice seat covers and some cool "racing stripes" that his son wanted down the side. This old fart was proud as he could be of what he'd done to this Pinto in honor of his son. He even laid the rainbow stickers out himself... and it looked like it.

Bottom line here is what the whole thread was started about. I was one of those ignorant assholes too. Somedays I still am, but just because I don't like something that someone else has worked on doesn't mean I have to say so. Like you guys I don't stop to look at Hondas, but if I were to I'm sure I could find something that the owner had done that I could appreciate.

Too much negative attitude running rampant these days. The people who always pity themselves for not getting any respect are those who don't give any.

The problem with common courtesy is that it's not common.

13. at this point most local car shows are just looking to get anyone to participate so they have money to put them on. (actually see new off the lot retro cars accepted at some). Most spectators coming to these shows care more about the food then the shiny cars they look at. So why aren't shows more about showing off what you have instead of getting trophies about all the little details and shiny parts.
    I think any unique vehicle should be treated with the same respect, whether the owner likes it rusty, primed or finished off.
    These car shows have been going on the same way for years and they are all the same. notice how people flee after awards are handed out.
    I'm just grateful for the newer shows that have other events like pin up contests, good bands and interesting vendors. I know the opinion is that this stuff does not have to do with cars, but at least it takes attention away from the shiny after market builds and makes a car show an event worth attending.

14. daddio211

daddio211

You built it for you, right? I'm guessing you're like me and although you don't really fit in anywhere, you could give a shit less. My car is too raw for my streetrodding buddies, too new for my traditional buddies, and too shiny for my rat buddies.

This doesn't mean I can't hang out with them, and it doesn't mean that I can't cruise with them, or that I have to be in the back of the line. We just build our cars for US and that's all that matters, right?

15. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

What I want to know is...........................

How the hell does a FNG find a 3 year old thread to post to & I can't find one from last week? ;) Must be CRS.:p

I'm not a young guy & have had many cars & attended car shows since the 60's. So I think I can safely say I've seen it all. I even remember when "Street Rod" wasn't a cuss word!
    Assholes come in all sizes, types of cars, home built, pro built, whatever.
    Car shows come in all types also. Some are great, some suck, some are all about the awards & who has the biggest check book.
    Who cares? Why are you going? To talk to friends, park w/ your buds, check cars- or get your panties in a wad because some street rod guy doesn't like your dash or your lack of paint or your blanket thrown over a seat. Get over it.
    Who cares if they bought it or built it? At least they brought out a car. I have alot of friends- some build, some buy. Some lack the skills to build a car but still want one. Some are old fucks like me that have built many cars in the past (not just one) & find it's getting harder & harder to justify the time today to build one yourself & maybe they are now in a financial position to build a dream car (or have built) but that time is better spent at work or w/ family.
    I have racing friends- I have friends who have the trophy hunter cars who live for the awards- I have friends w/ 20 foot drivers. They are still my friends. One of my good friends is Dennis DeCamp. Great guy & a gold chainer to many here. Final 8 AMBR car. But guess what? He knows every inch of the car & will talk to you about the car, it's awards & anything else you want to know. Great friend, great guy. For those who don't know Dennis DeCamp's car-
    http://www.streetrodderweb.com/features/0801sr_dennis_decampos_f32_roadster/index.html
    Oh- and he drives the shit out of it. Not my cup of tea but I can appreciate the build level- no matter who did it.

Car shows can be just like cruise nights. Only difference is more cars & people. Yea- you usually pay for car show but the money usually goes to charity which is a good thing. You will always get the ignorant- coming up & busting your balls over what you did or didn't do to your car.That can happen at a cruise night too. Who cares? Again- why are you there?

I get tired of all the negativity around built or bought. Not all of these guys are clueless about their build. Many know every detail. Many buy because they can't build. Some buy because they aren't physically able to build anymore. Some have the money now (well, maybe not right now :rolleyes:) to build what they have always wanted. Some have dreamed of retirement so they could build what they always wanted & now the body won't cooperate. Then you will have a few who bought a finished car they have no clue about- couldn't tell you what color it is (paint code)- what seats those are- what rear is in the car- etc. Instead of busting the guy's balls in front of his friends- educate the guy. Talk to the guy. They aren't all assholes. If he is- move on. Life's too short to get all fucked up over what some guy thinks about your car.

I've built every car I've owned. From primered rods to gassers to street rods to hot rods to race cars. I've done rotissere builds from the ground up in less than 2 years. Cost me alot of time- a few marriages along the way & I don't own any of the cars I built anymore (except the last 2). The Deuce is another story. Bought it as a finished car, a dated 10 year old build & redid many aspects of the car myself. However- my hip isn't what it used to be- my knee pops out if I attempt to get on the floor or on a creeper so I sent it to So-Cal Speed to finish the car like I wanted. To be honest- I can make more money working & paying them to finish the car. I stopped by the shop nearly every day during the rebuild (ask Ryan Reed :rolleyes:)- I know every bolt & every detail of the car & couldn't be happier w/ how it turned out. Gold Chainer?

All you 30 something's who are w/ the attitude "Built, not bought" come talk to me when you hit your mid sixties.

16. Well said, Steves 32 - better than I could ever say and I could not agree with you more ...

17. Aj right on 440 hemis. Numbers matching 1963 mopar ???
    Frame off restorations on Unibodies etc.
    Pro Stock John . What did you pay for your car?
    Don

18. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

Good question!

Personally, I'd never punch a guy who gives me money in the mouth no matter what he thinks about other people's cars.

19. anyway life goes on. I meet more great people at shows than annoying ones and I appreciate the hard work that goes into putting them on. I am real selective of the shows i attend and I know what and who will be there.
    When surrounded by different opinions, try to remain under control because you don't want labeled as some kinda dirt bag. Those that put themselves above someone else because their car is not the star of the show is just missing out. If those that run the event let you in, then you deserve to be there. trends come and go, it's about creativity, good attitude good mechanical skills and style, and about keeping the good things about the past alive.

20. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Solution---If you don't like them don't go. I go to some, but I like cruise nights better. I'm looking forward to having my deuce in the Starbird show in Feb. Not going for a trophy, but it is a great mid-winter break to see the cars guys have been working on, kick tires, bullshit and tell lies. Back several years ago one of my friends put a Elmo under the rear tire of his pro-street 33 Plymouth highboy coupe. Should have seen the little kids expressions.

21. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

This is a recurring thread.

Isn't bitching about billet, digital dashes, and fuel injection the same as bitching about unfinished paint jobs, no interior, or rusty flatties. Just a different prospective.

Personally i'm not a big street rod fan, i can respect it. I like the cars done as period as available to the builder. With that said, building a car... I don't see why you would want to put a car together and not do the work, that's the fun of it.

But I do agree after you've done a few, it's okay to gold chain a ride. Might be fun to put a vision together w/ just cash. Hire the best and do it up. Would definitely be a change for me.

My 02 cents and that's why I wrench.

22. sun down

sun down
    from tx

Steve, well stated...............I even enjoy the 50's music, always will and
    I am pushing 68........

I do good to change plugs anymore, but I keep trying,,
    my ride was bought from Slide about 2 yrs ago.. I love it, built right , safe and
    fun to drive.......ever thing about the car would be like I would have
    built it if I could have......

I get a lot of comments about it, I tell folks I did not build it but I sure
    enjoy driving it, plus I have met a lot of neat folks on the HAMB.. he directed me to this site, have met a few hambers in person..... they have treated this old man well...............

car shows are sort of like web sites, you dont enjoy them... dont go..

23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Car Shows will always be. A friend of mine has the nick name "Half Day" because he would leave all shows by noon. At first I thought he was nuts, but now I agree. Once you have wandered around and looked at most everything and talked to your buddies it is time to go. I go to a lot of shows as a spectator now just because I don't want to pay $30 or more for a parking place. Go in, get out.

24. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Car shows are ok. Yeah, sometimes there are idiots in attendance, but look around. Stupid people are everywhere. Even if you don't go to car shows, people are going to come up to you and ask questions when you're at the gas station, or the local burger joint. You're going to have some idiots around no matter where you go, so just go with the flow and stay cool.

25. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why would someone PAY a show promoter to enter his car & grease the promoters hands, when YOU are the one that has twisted the wrenches,run the paint, buffed thru to primer again,assembled all the parts, skinned your knuckles, & spent all the time "grooming" the car for public viewing?-----I like chasing lines, & getting thumbs up!!!!!---------------Don

26. GothboY

GothboY
    from SoCal

There's just no getting past the number of a-holes around today is there. it seems like there was a surplus sale somewhere, and america bought them out. No wonder we have so many idiotic a-holes. One of the last shows I was at, I almost got into a fight with some guy who kept trying to enforce that my 56 ford delivery was a mercury. Swore up and down that I was wrong about my car. Almost came to blows if it werent for my friends. What an idiot. It didnt help that the booze was cheap either. Buncha frikkin morons out there these days. I sympathize with ya man.
    -GothY-

27. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

why would somebody give you money in the mouth???

28. blackout

blackout

I've been building Hot Rods for 35 years, all home built from a bare body, bare frame. Some of them were very nice finished, painted and plated. I agree with you, I do not like the attitudes. In the past 18 years, I rarely go to car shows because of it. I prefer a home built car.

29. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

I am thinking that we could all just respect each other. If a guy likes a crybaby doll, it is not hurting anyone. If a guy likes a concept rat rod or traditional ride, good for him.

People who put other people down to make themselves feel better blow, and car shows always attract plenty of these. But, there are usually a bunch of cool nice people in all types of cars.

A wanker is a wanker, whether he is in a period correct hot rod, or a billet streetrod.

Wil
    www.sakowskimotors.com

30. alteredimage

alteredimage

All this ranting about car shows. who gives a dam. When I go to a car show I park and find some freinds. I don't care what people say about whatever I drove in , don't wash it, vacum, And I could care less if someone built or bought a car fiberglass or steel. Be thankfull that there are those people that support the hobby because with only a few the laws may be very diferent.
    Josh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.