Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My 30 Model A Hemi Coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by primer31, Nov 1, 2008.

1. primer31

primer31
    from Aurora, CO

(I guess this is my official build thread) So now I found my own barn find. Well, I didn't find it but I bought it from the guy who did. Here's my latest project, a 1930 coupe. Its been sitting in a barn since around 74. Probably why the body is in such good shape. The only bummer is that it had a p/u bed in the trunk like they used to do on the farms. Well they removed it and poorly welded a patch in it's place under the current decklid. Other than that, the body is really solid. My plans for now are to build a fenderless hot rod, 4" chop, sbc (only because a have a 283 sitting around). Well, I'm off to the garage as I gotta get the body off because I sold the chassis, engine and fenders as a unit. I'll keep ya posted.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  2. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

Why not just drive as is? it looks like its in great condition hopping up a 4 banger is allot more fun!

chop job likes this.
  3. Ol Deuce

Ol Deuce
    from Mt. U.S.A.

Ya- That A is in great shape .Put the time in the body repair - Hop up the 4 banger and have some fun......

4. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

run the banger

6inarow likes this.
  5. It's only got one Port-a-Wall and that's messed up. The cars no good that way, I'll take it off your hands and save you some headaches. :D

6. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Sweet the way it is!

6inarow likes this.
  7. primer31

primer31
    from Aurora, CO

well guys I understand why you'd say run it as is, but the fenders aren't that great, and about running the banger, well not my thing. I like a little more horses.

Kan Kustom, JimSibley and bchctybob like this.
  8. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

I can respect that.
    Definitely keep us posted on the transformation.
    I'd love to find one like that someday.

Jay

9. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Drive that sweet baby with minimum repairs and mods.

10. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

nice score! and yeah, i wouldnt run a banger either! i have tractors hear if i wanna go that slow!!!! lol

Kan Kustom and bchctybob like this.
  11. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

I'd straighten those fenders out a bit and make it a fendered car.. I wish my coupe had fenders,.. they dont look much cooler in my mind.

12. That was a nice car.

13. t spring out back, dropped axle up front, juice brakes all around...

nice...

14. Hey, do what you want to do that Model A. It is your car. If these guys want Banger engines and fenders, Sell the parts to them.

15. Elvisaurusrex

Elvisaurusrex

I'll take that banger off your hands then..

16. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Instead of the "cookie cutter" SBC read this and keep it all FORD.www.mre-books.com/resto/restomod5.html You can pick up these motors at a reasonable price,get 25 MPG+ and the Turbo or Blower motor :cool:would both weigh less than the SBC and take up less room.

17. v8 Bake

v8 Bake

Hey looks like your gonna build a Jeff clone.You guys are like peas and carrots anyway.Just kidding looks like a good start. Gonna have it done for lewiville?

18. primer31

primer31
    from Aurora, CO

I'm not 100% sure I'll go with a sbc, it's just what I have for free. If anyone wants to chip in on an alternate engine fund I'm game. :D I have plenty of time to decide for sure. The chassis, engine and fenders are going to a good home. (a stock model A guy) And V8 Bake, no it's not going to be a clone of Jeff's, (although his is a sweet ride) I'm going in another direction and it's not going to be as low as his.

19. 31whitey

31whitey

Its like I used to say to my buddies who rode 4 wheelers.

"Ya I'd own one....If I had every other dirtbike made"

I'll run a banger one day...once I have run every other V8.

283's can scream...nothing cookie cutter about it...good motor.

and BREEDER wont be able to loose you on his tractor, like if you would run the banger.

20. congrats on the find...looks pretty good...welcome to the barn find club

21. v8 Bake

v8 Bake

Hey arron, Greg has a nice y-block ford I gave him.It would look really good in there.

22. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

no, but i could sure smash it flat in a fit of rage!:D
    im too, running a 283 in mine! we should start a club! you know, for chevy powered stuff,, no ones ever thought of that!:p:D;)

23. primer31

primer31
    from Aurora, CO

Progress updates: well I ordered a set of deuce rails and boxing plates from Eric @ Riley Auto. They haven't come in yet, so over Thanksgiving weekend my dad, buddy John and I decided the coupe needed some surgery. Here are some pics. It's just tacked together right now.

Attached Files:

24. Ghost28

Ghost28

Well thats gonna be a nice car... sure glad you took all that other crap off it. cant wait to see it on the 32 rails. one bad mamajama and I HELPED...GHOST

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  25. chaddilac

chaddilac

Wow! and I liked it before you chopped it, now i really like it!

26. primer31

primer31
    from Aurora, CO

That you did and thanks again John.

BTW it's a 4" chop. I've also got front and rear model a crossmembers to go between the rails. I got a S-10 T-5 from the junkyard, looking for a WC T-5 from a Camaro to put the s-10 tailshaft onto, and that is pretty much where I'm at right now. Probably not going to get a lot more done before Christmas, I have to make some Christmas presents.

27. phukinartie

phukinartie

Started cool and getting cooler !! Hell yeah a 283 I always keep one around just in case

28. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

We actually pronounce it "loolvule".:)

29. crf500

crf500

hay man this is adam car looks cool! we was up to greggs last night. he siad there was some choppin goin on over the holidays! p.s. his car looks good with that black paint on it. later bub