Register now to get rid of these ads!

Crosley Update: Its a real vehicle !!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fms427, Nov 2, 2008.

1. fms427

fms427

[​IMG]

Yep, Michigan just sent me a title - so It's well on its way to the road. Luckily when I bought the body from Jman on the HAMB, he had the VIN plate, so, armed with that, I attacked the Michigan Secretary of State. After several loops of "its a kit car' and "its an assembled vehicle", we convinced them it was a real 49 Crosley!

[​IMG]

Interior got a pair of Austin Healy buckets , and an aluminum diamond plate floor.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Engine is an aluminum Olds V8, with Isky cam and kit, Offy intake and Holley carb, old Mallory Rev-Pol distributor, aluminum flywheel, and Muncie trans.

[​IMG]

As posted before, it has a 2x4 tube frame, 6 point roll cage, tube axle with front mounted Corvair steering box, 49 Ford axle with 4 link rear, and 49 Ford wheels, the rears reversed.

[​IMG]

Since it made its debut at Mi. BilletProof ( behind my convert), the next goal is to DRIVE it to 2009 Billetproof!!:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
    Chris Cochrane and Stogy like this.
  2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Wow that looks fun! bangin some gears!!!

3. GARY?

GARY?

Awesome. Looks fun as hell. When does it get it's first burnout in the bleach???

4. Hot Rodz R Us

Hot Rodz R Us
    Member Emeritus

I just seen it in Bowling Green.....Cool little car

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

What a very,very cool HotRod....it looks like it just was built in '58.
    Love the color, wheel and tires choice, headers....it's just so cool.
    What's been done to the engine ?

6. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

That is way too cool!

7. man that thing is wicked cool!!

8. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

9. fms427

fms427

Actually, I caught the drag racing bug again at Beech Bend GG with BOBWOP - I think it will see drag duty in the future. Need a better rear end - with posi - and some slicks - and maybe some belts.
    From what I've seen - in limited running - it has the beans.......

10. I would drive the wheels off it, looks like it would be fast and fun all rolled up in one.

Nice job,

CBB

11. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Slick Mo-Chine!

12. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

So..................are you taking this instead of one of the Vette's to the next road race?:eek::D
    Looking good Stan, now drive the wheels off it.

Frank

13. fms427

fms427

[​IMG]

AHotRod - some more info on the engine....... It was an Ebay find - headline " low mileage aluminum V8 taken from a wrecked car in 1970, put on a WOOD CHIPPER, and used there until 1979. Recently found at an estate sale". Looking at the very dusty photo, there looked to be some nice pieces on it, so I bought it. Getting it home, it was evidently someones hot rod, as it was a treasure trove of 60's speed equipment!! I only took it apart and replaced seals.

It is a standard bore Olds 215, with the good 11:1 pistons and heads. Full Isky cam and kit with adjustable pushrods, Offy intake with a 450 Holley, vintage Mallory Rev-Pol (now running on one coil - I need a dual sided coil, if anyone has one...). The bottom end is all balanced (with weights on the parts), contoured rods, dropped drag oil pan and pump, and aluminum flywheel. All of the parts, with the exception of the carb, came on the engine. It came with a small 2bbl with a lot of adaptors to the intake - wood chips must have flown too far with the 4bbl !!:) Made the headers by cutting up a set of Camaro headers. Never been on the dyno, but seems to put out really good horsepower !!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Nice clean build, congradulations ,its nice to see something different done well. That motor is quite a score, never know where you'll uncover something neat. It's also cool you got plates..what a hassell that can be.

15. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

That Crosley is cool as heck. But that Ford...oh my gosh I am in lust.
    That Ford is a beautiful machine!!!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Lose that air cleaner. they are dangerous. i.e. they catch on fire if it even burps funny.

otherwise great car... congrats on it being official..

17. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

still think you need a crosley pick-up to go with it:D

18. very cool...the tow vehicle ain't bad either...

19. I have no idea what that is

but its is pretty cool, thumbs up.

20. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Nicely done! I've seen some Crosleys that are over lengthend were the body just looks out of place on the chassis. Your car looks right, love the stance. With the tow vehicle you have the total package. congrats

21. fms427

fms427

22. zzford

zzford

23. I'm a big guy, and I love little cars, BUT, I think I could actually fit in your wonderful hot rod. Well done.

O, and the guy that thinks it looks like a 1958 build, check out the crashed Anglia thread. This Crosley is very much a 2008 build! We never thought about full roll cages in '58.

24. tjm73

tjm73

I saw this car at Billetproof last summer. Very cool. Very rowdy sounding. Neat car.

25. fms427

fms427

26. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

had a great time at GG-Beech Bend with Stan and his hotrod. Way cool car and it sounds super tough. Hope to see it on the strip soon running with the nostalgic crowd.

27. Love the car man, truly, but I gotta say it: If you hit something hard with the left front, that steering wheel is comin after you...

28. Roadsir

Roadsir

Neat car. For my first car I nearly bought a Crosley station wagon. Here is one for sale locally here. It has a Inline 6 with I think a 5 carb intake.

Attached Files:

29. Cool car! Killer job on it, love the lil Olds mill with all the goodies.

Heres a car like yours, built in the 60s and campaigned a few feet from my house on the old San cobble Raceways track. It ran an injected flathead.
    [​IMG]
    The guy that built it still races, not this car though. its whereabouts is unknown.

-Shiny

30. fms427

fms427

NUROADSIR & 29EHV8 - thanks for the pictures. While Crosleys were far from as plentiful as Willys, there were a few around the dragstrips of the 50s. And they had some unususl engines !! The Olds is maybe a little new, but what the hell, it's a "tribute" car !!:D