Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Who likes Olympia Beer? ;)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SlamCouver, Nov 1, 2008.

1. That coupe is a nice tall glass of ice water, unfortunately, to me, so was the beer.
    (Love the coupe.) (Oly, Oly,O,...Oly, Oly, O)

2. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Took the Oly tour in about the early 80's with a buddy on a road trip from San Diego-Seattle. Long story short; we got half faced sampling glasses of Oly, Country Club, Lone Star, etc. in their hospitality room.

3. DOTS ruled...

4. Bullington

Bullington
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I go to a bar where they still serve stubbies. They still make it, but it is getting rare

5. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

"I go to a bar where they still serve stubbies. They still make it, but it is getting rare"

Crazy! you still have Lucky Lager out in your parts as well?
    <!-- / message -->

6. glmke

glmke

any self respecting NW male drinks HENRY WEINHARD's or nothing at all

7. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

Weinards is good but i prefer a DEAD GUY

8. Any Old Style fans? haven't had it in years but as pilsners go it's a good one.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The old Oly plant bottles water now. It is owned by All American bottled water Co.. I drank many an Oly and Lucky when I was a kid.

10. They went from beer to water? That is just wrong in so many ways.

11. bet you could get at the ballard market just north of seattle on 15th st. used to be really popular in nevada.

12. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I didn't like Olympia beer even when it was made only in Tumwater, "it's the water", was the slogan. Flat from the tap is what everyone called it. Heidelberg, now that was a beer with a resemblance to Budweiser. I did like it but wouldn't touch any of them anymore. PBR, purely revolting. There I've said it, all bad beer but all cult favorites like having cuffs I'd guess. Where the hell did I leave my ButchWax and an aspirin...... Nice lettering though.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  13. Back in 2000 or so somebody was selling off a TON of Eames DCM chairs that apparently had come from the Olympia Brewery. I always think about the chairs when I drive past the old brewery now...

Attached Files:

14. are you gonna put a riddle under the deck lid

15. Richard Head

Richard Head

I have always heard of oly refered to as "queer beer". There was a scandal that earned it that name, but that was way before my time.

Dave

16. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

Was it Oly or Hamms that had the cartoon dancing bear singing about "from the land of sky blue water" on their TV adds?

17. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

I used to enjoy the occasional "Dog Style" in my younger days. What is sold as Old Style now is not the real deal. After Heileman's brewery in LaCrosse was bought out they closed it and moved the bottling to the PBR brewery in Milwaukee and also changed the recipe. A group of businessmen, including former Heileman employees, purchased the old brewery along with the original Old Style recipe and market it under the name of "LaCrosse Lager".

18. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

"all bad beer but all cult favorites like having cuffs I'd guess" No, its about supporting local business and hometown/area pride. nothing to do with cuffs or silly hair do's. The Lucky brand along with Rainier and Oly have always been about pride, well for me anyway.

19. i wish i had another "its the water and a lot more" t-shirt with the bear pissin on the water!:D

20. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

pbr is the shittiest beer ever made! and, im not affriad to say it!!! :p
    i do support my locals also......anhiesier Busch! well, used to be local...now, we shall see!

21. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I would drink Lucy from time to time. Just as a gag mostly because the botles had those puzzles under the cap. It is still avalible here in So Cal, but hard to find.

I drink Coors mostly......it's what beer drinkers drink when they're not drinkin' beer.

22. I do...drive that sucker up to the local distributorship and have 'em pony up some cold ones in the form of "sponsorship"...explain to them the vast marketing benefits and besides you can keep the recycling money from the empties in a hot rod fund...every little bit helps! Car looks great

23. Olympia Beer was a very popular regional Pacific Northwest brand which eventually expanded nationwide, positioned as a low-price beer. During the 1970s, Olympia acquired Hamm's and Lone Star. The Schmidt Family, which owned and operated the Brewery and company, elected to sell to Heilemann's Old Style Beer Company in 1982. Heilemann's was subsequently purchased by Pabst in 1983.
    As with many other regional breweries, ownership of this brewery eventually passed through several corporations including Pabst, G. Heileman, and Stroh's, until the brewery was eventually purchased by SABMiller. For a time, the Olympia brewery took over the brewing of other Pacific Northwest brands as their original breweries were closed one by one, including the Lucky Lager brewery in Vancouver, Washington, the Henry Weinhard's brewery in Portland, Oregon, and the Rainier Beer brewery in Seattle, Washington. Miller closed the Olympia brewery on July 1, 2003 citing the unprofitability of such a small brewery.

24. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

We used to buy the Oly party balls. I guess I am dating myself. From what I remember it was good. Havent seen it here in many years.

25. Hamms........and yeah I remember the beer balls,great for mini kegger partys and easy to get,it ya didnt drink it fast it went flat

Attached Files:

26. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

27. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

Just changed the dif,trans and steering box oil and took a spin around the neighborhood.. got some pretty crazy looks haha :) its a blast to drive.

28. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Had a good friend from the Olympia area - we've toured the brewery (back when) a couple of times.

Anybody my age (white hair) remember Olympia "four-dotters" - so many rumors...so many myths....free keg....girl signed it - she had 'put out'....send in a jillion and you get a case. We saved them religiously in HS - did NO good whatsoever (not that I didn't get, just that Oly beer labels were not the easy path).

Plenty of cartoons using the motto "it's the water" and pictures of urinals. Lucky Lager was also a NW beer of some popularity, but long gone now.

When WA was dry on Sundays, we'd make "banzai" runs from the Tri-Cities down to Hermiston (OR)...man...that was a looooooong time ago. Had to go to Lewiston or CdA to get Coors, but we convinced ourselves it was worth it. Of course...gasoline was two bits a gallon +/- a few cents.

"chugga lug chugga lug..."

dj

29. yeah 4 dot they had put out!!!!!!!...those were worth gold for braggin rights in the 70s

30. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

No..try drinking Keystone light for a whole summer then drinking Pabst, it makes it taste like a dark ass lager. Pabst does suck though.

Oh and Ali the coupe looks amazing, we need to cruise our bangers soon!