Register now to get rid of these ads!

Remember Remember the November BANGER MEET!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Artiki, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Damn, it's getting cold! We had snow in October for the first time since 1934 :confused: Still, thoughts of bangers kept me warm as I toiled on the Weber IDA conversion I mentioned last month...
    Here's where I'm at now.

[​IMG]

I built a jig and got the manifold fab'd up so that I can sit it in place and figure out what to do about throttle.

[​IMG]

I think it looks pretty good on there. In fact, I think it looks bad-ass. :D

Started to make some linkage so that I can keep the original gas pedal but not sure how well that will turn out. I'd rather not have to resort to a cable if I can help it.

2. davesville

davesville

good work artiki .these are great carburetors .looks a little high too me but i guess you have done youre homework.what chokes are you running

3. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Haven't got to the point of chokes or jets yet, that'll all be done on a rolling road when its set-up.
    The point about it being too high is interesting. I did a fair amount of research first, but there's an amount of trial an error here. I read David Vizard's book on A-series tuning first, which briefly mentions IDA's, but it wasn't conclusive. He says that experimentation is the answer. I found some info on runner length theory on the 'net, again attributed to Vizard, which stated something about the lower that your peak torque figure is, the longer your runner needs to be, and there was an equation to go along with it but I don't have that to hand right now.
    One thing for definite; the runners are shorter on this manifold (approx 10" long) than the runners on my old Ansen intake (12-13") that my 97 was bolted to.
    I'd be interested to hear some more ideas about intake manifolds and runner lengths if anybody else has any experience.

4. davesville

davesville

i would be interested also artiki keep up the good work .nothing is for certain in the banger world but i admire people who do things for performance on old engines its so much more difficult

5. hotrodtom

hotrodtom

Beautiful work on the Weber conversion. I recall seeing a DCOE on an A block at the MARC-MAFCA meet last summer. Dennis Piranio said it dyno'd 118hp with a flathead.
    Fearless

6. hotrodtom

hotrodtom

Forgot to mention -- DCOE's are sidedraft, and the manifold went up and over the top. The carb was above the cylinder head. Likely would fit under the hood, but I didn't ask that question.

7. davesville

davesville

nothing wrong with a sidedraught weber on an a model . works well

8. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Thanks for the kind words, men.
    Tom, don't suppose you have a photo of the DCOE conversion? Certainly would be interested to see it.

9. Wildfire

Wildfire

My motor is ready and I'll pick it up at the end of the month - just in time to bolt everything together and move to North Carolina in January...

10. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Wow thats a pretty sweet set-up. Sounds like you have done good research on runner lengh too. I will be interesting to see how it runs. :) Thanks for the pics.

Scott

11. hollywood 423

hollywood 423
    from west ohio

I would like to put inserts in the mains on my A block. Can anyone tell me what ones to get?

12. noboD

noboD

Artiki, by IDA I'm assuming you mean 48MM? Sure looks good, nice work.

13. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Most IDA's are 48mm I believe, but this one is a 46IDA, so 46mm. Don't think they made too many of these compared to the amount of 48's.

Roughed out a bit of linkage today. Reckon I'll get away with keeping the old pedal. Bit more fettling needed, but this should be okay...

[​IMG]

...welded a stud onto the header to take the lever, which has a 2-1 ratio. May need to alter that as the pedal action may be too quick. I'll know more when I get it started up.

14. I wish you would start it up! Going to look good when you get it plated! (Just kidding)

15. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

went to the dyno today.I wonted a base # before I send out to get more power. the motor was rebuilt in 1956 by the last owner in high school. It got parked in 1957 and i got it in 2007. I made a header and intake for it and drove the wheels off it this summer. Now is time to do the motor. It made 30.5 hp at the wheels.They could not get the dynojet to work with the 6 volt so no rpm. or torque #s I did make the 3500lb. drum spin 38mph

16. Cool!

So much for Fords 35hp stock... :rolleyes:

17. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Bitch'in looking intake set up Artiki!!!!!! I'm very interested to hear the results of the first drive.

I've been doing some trading and here are some pictures of what I got in the deal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got a complete, running B and another B block with C'weighted crank, rods and pistons. Both blocks are Diamond blocks. The stripped block is only .040" over. And to top it all off, there is a Weiand aluminum head!!!!!!
    I'm going to get the Weiand head cleaned, checked and surfaced then put it on the comptete engine and put it in my car. I can't wait.
    Dan

18. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Nothing to report. Did put the stock intake/exhaust back on last month, but haven't cranked it up. The '36 has taken priority...

19. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

what is the length of your intake? (underside of intake valve to mouth of velocity stack)

20. 1930 vicky

1930 vicky
    from England,UK

Well not much happening this month apart from taking delivery of a mitchell overdrive and a loverly bit of kit it appears to be.Anyone else on here used one I hope they are as good as they are meant to be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and I forgot,any news on the Banger T shirts?

21. Ice man

Ice man

Just got my 29 running. Was given a wrecked 2001 Jeep with a 2.5 4 banger/5 sp. Had a spare frame and said WHY NOT. Made a log manifold, mounted a 2 barrel Rochester, had FS Ignition re work the dizzy so it now has mechanical advance, a pick upand a coil. No sensors, no computer, and it runs sweet. Now I need to finish her and get it on the road. Ice man

Attached Files:

22. TV

TV

Artiki, did you use a 1/2" plate for the flange? We made one for our race car and put O rings on the back side for positive sealing, with a 1/2" plate, really works great.--TV

23. Looks great.
    I was all ready to order one but something else came up. :)

How long did it take to reach you?

24. Mores parts collected.
    Another Brierley Cam with a hotter grind.
    Should be pulling it apart in the next month or so.

[​IMG]

Plans are to put helical timing gears back in place of the straight cuts. Turn the oil pressure down 10 lbs or so, redo the rear main seal as thats playing up again, new cam, new head, ceramic coated combustion chambers and valves and either dual 48's or triple 97's.

25. Trade you a 8.5 to 1 CI winfield with large valve chambers for that Weiand.

26. 1930 vicky

1930 vicky
    from England,UK

Clark,
    Had a six week wait til manufacture and a week to get here.
    Nice people to deal with as well.
    Maybe see you at theClassic Car Show NEC Birmingham on the Sunday 17th.

27. Ooh! Road trip! Wanna race...?!

Dun saw the overdrive on Friday night. Sweet. And rather jealous too... Meant to ask which ratio it is? They come in 26% and 36% overdrive I believe?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  28. Sorry, no motor work boys! Did that months back...

Finally finished picking up the remains of the parts needed to get to work. Now it's all about finding the time, hahaaaa.

So I ordered tires.....OUCH! Then painted my wheels, 17 up front, 18's in the rear. Pulled the frame off the wall and put the 36 rear under it. Just mocked up for now... I have a 39 box all cleaned up, almost ready to go in. Then I can shorten torque tube, etc.
    Front end went together about two months ago, need to tweak my spindels for tie rod clearence. Hope to get to that this week...

Since these pics, I have reversed the bottom front leaf and removed 4 leafs....I think? Looking much better now, little lower up front. I'll try and get some updated pics...

Also chopped the top a little so I could lean the posts back as much as possable. That is and original 36 roadster top that I hope to fit, also coming soon.

Made some spacers out of solid stock stainless for my B motor mount to A block. I hope to get the trans and motor in soon. I can't wait to get to the exaust!

Attached Files:

29. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

My big news is that I towed the Manx home from North Carolina last weekend, the weather has been gorgeous here and I have been driving it every day. It hasn't been too bad without the windshield so far, but I feel a little uneasy driving without a rearview mirror so I went ahead and ordered the parts.

[​IMG]

It is leaking oil everywhere and the rearend is howling, but it runs strong and is a hoot to drive!

I am running a single 94, it works pretty darn well while I am driving but loads up (too rich) at idle. After reading about 94s I am wondering if the power valve could be dumping at idle? Has anybody had any luck changing the power valves on these?

Anybody try a Demon 98 yet?

Will Kimble
    www.kimblemandolins.com

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008