Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. jrstock55

jrstock55
    from Pa

I know that the Callahan and Sulc cars had Trenton Speed Shop painted on the side ('62 Plymouth and '70 Challengers). Could be that one or both of them had a '57 Delivery before that, although I have never seen it.

2. novadude

novadude

Both! I've loved '63s ever since I helped my dad restore his factory 250/327 4-spd car in the mid 80s. :)

3. novadude

novadude

I thought the 283/283 was available in all 57 chevy's whether station wagon, hardtop, sedan delivery, etc?

So the engine and trans combo did not have to leave the factory that way?

4. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

I have lots of photos of Pizzi's cars and one of Ann Towes at Maple Grove in her 69 Camaro convertable. I remember the "LAW" was Lou, Ann & Walt, but I can't remember who Lou was.

5. Old Tech Inspector

Old Tech Inspector
    from USA

Back in the pre 1970 stock classes days there was a lot of leeway on what NHRA would accept for stock classes. The 4 speed with any engine combo in any 57 Chev for example. The hydramatic in a sedan delivery.
    The chances of finding a dual four barrel engine factory installed in a 56 Pontiac were pretty slim or finding a Pontiac station wagon in 57 or 58 with fuel injection was impossible because only very few Bonneville hardtops and convertibles were built certinaly no wagons. What do you think the chances that a 57 Ford Station Wagon ever came down the line with a supercharged 312 installed. Prior to model year 1960 NHRA accepted almost any engine / body combo that they had shipping weight and engine specs for.

6. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

" Fred then bought Bob Gliddens 65 427 Galaxie."

[​IMG]

Another Glidden car.

[​IMG]

7. Old Tech Inspector

Old Tech Inspector
    from USA

Lou Cuvilleo ( spelling may be wrong ) He and Walt had a shop in New Jersey..

They originally had a 58 Chev Sedan Delivery seems like it was K/SA at the time. Was a hydro car converted to a powerglide when the rules changed.

8. Bob, Lou Cuviello ,who had a 64 ChevyII post car in SS/N ,later on.
    When the 283's got hit with hp , he cut the roof off and welded on a hardtop roof to stay in N. Technically not legal,.because, if you know alot about Chevy II's ,that'll make a pretty light Duece.
    Bet you never saw that one

MY

9. L.A.-Bar

L.A.-Bar
    from Lforida

''WALKERHEADERS''...............He wasn't famous but...............he was LOUD!

10. IndyWinner

IndyWinner
    BANNED
    from So. Cal.

I love the Stockers. I didn't think I could afford to run my Super Stocker and a Stocker until I ran across this one owner Nash. I looked the NHRA specs and saw it could fit into U/SA with a 304 2 bbl. That and the $300 dollar price tag for the car did the deal.

Two of my buddies came in from out of state to help me get 'er done in five weeks flat. Took her to Belle Rose for the first Sports Nationals in a couple of decades and it went .35 under it's index on the first pass. We were having a ball with it. Unfortunately a truck driver smashed my Super Stocker (and me) so hard I had to sell the wagon to keep the shop doors open.

But I thought some of you would get a kick outa my Stocker. (ex)

[​IMG]

11. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

"But I thought some of you would get a kick outa my Stocker. (ex)"

Great that we're hearing (more) from the 'left' coast! I think we'd all enjoy a few details about your old wagon!

12. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

That's funny. I like how the guy with the 283/283 Hydro delivery actually painted "Corvette Powered Truck" on the front fender. Seems like that would just be flying in the face of the inspectors.
    If anybody wonders about the truck designation, I've seen Sedan Deliveries in the factory sales books for trucks. Chevy classified it as truck, probably because it was intended as a commercial vehicle.
    -Brad

13. I don't know much about this car other than it was very well done. The red and blue paint was very heavy metalic or metalflake, which doesn't show up well in the picture.I took this photo at Island Dragway, Great Meadows, NJ in 1967-68

Attached Files:

14. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

*Friday 9:30 AM EST

I'll add these 'new' names to 'The List' just as soon as I (we) sort-out some of the spelling and/or the year/make details

Ron Garey ( ? )<--Anyone help out with this?
    Norm Fryer ( ? )<--Anyone help out with this?
    Ann Towes (58 Chev)
    Trenton Speed Shop (57 Chev)<--Driver/owner's name??
    Keith Berg (50 Olds)
    Val Hedworth (56 Chev)
    Jack Mullins (52*Olds?)<--Before his Pont. Wg. days
    Parham & Payne (57 Ford)
    Dan Kyle (69 Chev)
    Larry Walker (57 Ford)
    Goodson Bros (57Ford)
    John Feistritzer (57Ford)
    Bob Bales (57Ford)
    Paul Turner (57Ford)
    Paul Stensland (57Ford)
    John Frith (57 Ford)
    Ted Harbit (52? Studebaker)<--Anyone help out with this?
    Fred Robinson (53? Studebaker)<--Anyone help out with this?
    Kyle Marshall (57 Chev)
    Lou Cuvilleo (57 Chev)
    Cal Method (57 Chev)
    Jack Doughtery (57 Chev)

*Remember that ...
    The 'single car' indicated is the one (generally) most-associated with the owner/driver.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  15. jkperformance

jkperformance

Feistritzer, Bales, Turner, Stensland, all 57 Fords

16. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Thanks 'JK Performance'! I 'edited my last post.
    And thanks 'Fast Freddie C' for your keen memory of 'more than a few' of the Junior Stock 'SuperStars' just noted!

17. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

By the way ... RE: Supercharged '57 Fords

I sure do 'remember them'!

I went to work at a Ford dealership in downtown Baltimore pretty-soon after graduating from High School. Like most, I had to do a brief 'stint' 'pre-delivering' new cars before going 'on the line.'

Well, a few weeks or so into the job (summer '57), 'lucky me' was assigned a Supercharged, 300 HP, 1957 'Fairlane 500' 2-DR H/T to *'pre-deliver' ... *back then, there were actually a few things to 'do,' other than install the hub caps.

It was a 3-speed (on the column) 312 cu In, 300 HP car equipped with a McCulloch/Paxton Supercharger. As I recall, we sold but a few of those blown cars that year. Great car -- lots of torque. And 'buzzzz up' it did ... no 'turbo-lag' issues with those cars!

About a year later, as a line ('50/50') mechanic, I was given a (non-warranty) 'blown motor' repair job. Well, (I'll 'try' to keep this brief) it was one of the 300HP/312 cars that we had sold the previous year. The car was a T-Bird. And, yes, that engine was available in the 'bird,' as an "F Option."

We pushed the car into my bay and I quickly discovered that the 'front' of the crankshaft (with pulleys intact!) had 'wrung off' when the blower impeller seized up at high RPMs. The service writer was aware of that and my work-order read "replace crankshaft, remove blower." Well, it was pretty-much a 'gravy job' and it went well for me.

The next day the owner ... a doctor I recall, approached me at my work station, gave me a (huge at the time!) $5.00 tip and told me he had 'no use' for the box of takeoff parts (sans crank, of course) that I had meticulously boxed-up and placed in his trunk.

He asked if I would 'dispose of it' for him -- and I 'obliged.' Alas, the blower impeller's 'balls' had 'galled' to the races, but I kept it all till I gave it to a friend about 10 years later.

It was a great box of stuff ... blower, gauge cluster, alum carb 'bonnet.' belts ... etc, etc!

18. you sure got that one right :) thanx now i can stop thinking about it. whatever became of him?

19. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

They also had a 57 sedan delivery at the same time. There was an article in SS&DI on a 57 Corvette that they were building and there was a picture of the ramp truck and trailer with the 57 and 58.

20. Old Tech Inspector

Old Tech Inspector
    from USA

Lou raced the 57 Delivery and the 58 was built for Ann. After the 57 Delivery was gone Lou raced the Corvette.

Both of the Sedan Deliverys were painted Silver with LAW AUTOMOTIVE on the side...

I remember the 57 as a 220 hp with hydro and the 58 as being 250 hp ( fuel injected ) ...

21. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Mark,
    Not sure if you were referring to me or not but I never saw the 64 Chevy II. I'm not as familiar with the 62-65 as I am with the 66-67 Chevy IIs but I believe that it would require a little more work that just changing the roofs but I am going to look into it. I have an old 67 sedan body that the roof is nearly rusted off of and they are now reproducing the hardtop roof panels.
    Bob Rice

22. jrstock55

jrstock55
    from Pa

It could be an earlier version of the Callahan and Sulc car. They were from north jersey. Not too many '62 plymouths in jr stock. (photo from TMcCrea)

Attached Files:

23. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

[​IMG]

I wonder who's '57 wagon (*w/ the handicap) that was?

24. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Steve,

I don't remember the car, but I was able to read "Gault Chevrolet Endicott, NY".

25. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Does anyone remember an A/S 440 wedge powered Plymouth that ran out of Enid OK back in 67-68-69 timeframe. Driven by Tom Tarrant sp? Sponsored by Tarrant Masonry Contractors and called the "Mortar Forker II" . Always wondered what happened to Tarrant, Haven't heard anything about him for years, Web search turns up nothing as well.

Had a 289 Cobra that held the AHRA class record for a while, if that helps.

26. Old Tech Inspector

Old Tech Inspector
    from USA

Ron Gary 68 Olds Cutlass, one of the Smothers Brothers cars
    Norm Fryer 66 Biscayne 427/ 425 hp A/S

27. Old Tech Inspector

Old Tech Inspector
    from USA

Callahan and Sulcs car was a Dodge. The 383 ci 343 horsepower, 2 four barrel engine was only available in a Dodge for and for 1962 only

28. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

A local fellow Harold Young had a nice looking 62 Plymouth. It was also blue and white with Cragars. It was one sharp looking car.
    Bob Rice

29. 65deluxe

65deluxe

A/S? seems alittle ways away from the lower class stocks. What would one consider the cut off for Junior Stock?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Joe Gardner's "Northwind" A/S '62 Chevy. George Cureton photo.
    [​IMG]