Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 32 Windshield On 30-31 A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 08racer, Oct 28, 2008.

1. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Anybody use the 32 roadster sanctions and window setup on a 30-31 Model A cowl? If so lets see some pics!

Iam building a coupster and trying to figure out the windshield.

Thanks

2. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Used the stantions- A frame.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. 32 windshield posts bolt directly to 30-31 stanchions.
    The pair shown here are chopped 2".

Note as well that the 32 stanchion stud, washers etc. are identical to the A's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only thing you have to do is grind the A stanchion so the 32 post can lean back.
    You'll go through the stanchion base metal in the grinding area, but it's easy to weld up.

As far as the windshield goes you'll have to use the Model A with its round tubing frame.
    The curve of the cowl eyebrow under the bottom of the windshield frame is different between 32 and Model A.

If you want the rectangular tubing frame 32 windshield style you'll have to make your own.
    An easy project once you get the bottom curve of the windshield frame properly bent.

If you do use the A windshield frame you may have to move the 3/8-NF mounting stud up or down, but JimA can tell us if that's necessary.
    Probably not.

Be aware there are four different height Model A windshield frames for the 30-31s.
    Standard, chopped and un-chopped, Deluxe, chopped and un-chopped.
    Check the Speedway or LeBaron-Bonney catalog for details.

[​IMG]

If you order re-pro posts, you can get them with right side drilled and tapped for mirror - a good idea.

As well as drilled and tapped for windwings.
    Another good idea and if you don't run windwings the holes are not bothersome.

4. Some pics of the 32s windshield.
    Note the different style stanchions.

Note too, the different shape of the (chopped 2") windshield.
    Especially at the sides near the bottom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

I was really hoping to make it look like this. Will the lower sanctions match the shape of the model a cowl?

Attached Files:

6. You must have read The Bourne Sanction recently.

From what I understand, there's quite a bit of work involved with using 32 stanchions on a 30-31 A body.

The stanchions you see on my 32 could be rolled back more than on my car without too much trouble.

The 32 style WS post could go way back and still sit on the A stanchion, but there'd be some more grinding and welding required than is shown on my 31 - which gets some more grinding and leanback later, but not too much more.

It wouldn't look as good as the 32 in your pic that has 32 stanchions.

If you're gonna go for a radical leanback as shown, go to the trouble to make the cowl in the stanchion area as much like a 32 as you can and use 32 stanchions.

If you want to see an example of a 31 roadster with 32 stanchions and WS frame & posts etc., watch the Starman movie starring Jeff Bridges.
    The roadster in the movie used to belong to a friend of mine and I understand it now resides in England.

7. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

WOW Star Man I remember that movie, I'll have to dig for that one, I think I may have it on VHS.

I will really have to look into the 32 sanctions to see how much more work is required. The Coupe cowl looks like crap if you don't do it right when making a roadster.

Like everything else on this car its 10 time the amount of work that i thought it would be.

Thanks for the input C9!!

8. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

I Mean stanchions!! Sorry typing to fast at work and not proof reading.

9. Good boy.

A+ for you....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All kidding aside, if you do a 32 stanchion area on the A cowl, take a look at how the 32 is reinforced on the inside.

Take a look at an A as well.
    They both have a sturdy - 3/16" - piece the stanchion bolts to.

10. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Will do I'll have to order up a set, bad thing is I just spent the big$$ on the the model a lowers.

11. I've seen a few A roadsters here on the HAMB with a fairly leaned back windshield using A stanchions and A posts.
    Looked pretty good.

Granted, not as extreme as shown above, but you can go too far on the leanback bit.

It works on the car above since the grille shell is tilted back as well.

Why don't you start a thread asking for pics of A roadsters with leaned back windshields?
    The "Do-a-Search" police may jump on it, but most times you get a good response.

12. I've seen a few A roadsters here on the HAMB with a fairly leaned back windshield using A stanchions and A posts.
    Looked pretty good.

Granted, not as extreme as shown above, but you can go too far on the leanback bit.

It works on the car above since the grille shell is tilted back as well.

Why don't you start a thread asking for pics of A roadsters with leaned back windshields?
    The "Do-a-Search" police may jump on it, but most times you get a good response.

Here's a good looking 29 as an example.

Attached Files:

13. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Not a good picture of it but here is the Starman car.

Attached Files:

• 066.jpg
      066.jpg
      File size:
      33.4 KB
      Views:
  14. Burny

Burny

Don't mean to hijack, but anymore picts/info on this Model A?

Attached Files:

15. i was looking through my church mag no. 3 with all the deadend photos in it and i came across a certian model a "roadster" that had a 32 windshield frame with i dont know what stanchions but because the car was once originally a coupe body the lower part of the stanchion was just the factory coupe windshield post with some fab work to make the upper half fit then the 32 frame fit on there. i found the deadend feature on this car at their site but i cant remember which issue, im sure its there, i think the name of the dude who owned the car was adam or something.

on my own "coupster" i plan to cut the winshield post off completely and fabricate some sheetmetal so the body line will continue across the cowl behind the gastank top and them make custom 32 "style" lower stanchions from scratch that attach like a factory 32 and then build up from there. i plan to make my own windhshield frame from scratch though... im kinda thinking something along the lines of the army greet boling brothers rpu

anyways sorry to be long winded but i thought this might help

16. Clark

Clark

My old RPU was a 30/31. Started as a closed pick up.

I made the 32 stantions fit with an A windshield frame....but I did do a lot of work to the cowl area.
    Clark

Attached Files:

EVL401 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

I have a pair of new upper stanchions and a used pair of lowers,
    let me know when you are ready,I'll make you a smokin' deal on 'em.
    (1932)

18. Deadender60

Deadender60

http://www.deadendmagazine.com/aug_page19-20.html

19. McFly

McFly

That's Rudy Rodriguez's wifes car. I see her bombing around Fullerton all the time. It's kinda cool seeing her haul ass down Commonwealth.

20. Bumping this old thread for some clarification. The 32 upper stanchions bolt to the 30-31 lower stanchions, I get that. Good news as they are about $100 or more cheaper than the repop 30-31 uppers. My questions:

1. Not clear on the grinding of the lower A stanchion so the windshield can lean back, is this necessary?

2. Standard height 32 stanchions match up with what 30-31 A Windshield, Standard, Deluxe or chopped version of one of these?

21. Bump for night crowd...

22. One last try, anyone??

23. AeroCraftsman

AeroCraftsman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used '32 stanchions on mine with a '31 deluxe windshield. The '32 stanchions were significantly less expensive than '31's.
    Using this combination, the windshield sits a little bit lower on the cowl and let's you lean the windshield back without having the outside corners stick out.
    I made a pie cut at the top so the studs are vertical in case I install a top later on.
    Not the greatest picture, but you get the idea.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383113408.124837.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. Rem

Rem

That's a great looking Roadster, AeroCraftsman. Any more pics of it to show us?

25. AeroCraftsman

AeroCraftsman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, here are a couple more. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388333125.966097.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388333141.130027.jpg

26. brady1929

brady1929

^^^^^^ awesome roadster man ^^^^^^^^

27. Mo rust

Mo rust

I used 32 upper and lower posts and a 32 roadster windshield frame on my 30/31 roadster. To make it fit, I had to widen the 32 roadster windshield frame 1 7/8 inches, but after I was done I found that a 35/36 roadster windshield would have worked as well. The 35/36 frames are tall but they could be easily cut to whatever height that you want.

I also added a 32 firewall and cowl vent to make it look more like a 32.

Attached Files:

EVL401 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  28. Really a nice fit, I like the square tubing better than the A round on the frame.

29. Rem

Rem

Thanks again. Nice to see a bit of rail and a spreader peaking out the back.

30. Mo rust

Mo rust

I built the car in 98 and was trying to add as many 32 features as I could think of. A few years later, my father bought a basket case 36 roadster with three rusty windshield frames and I realized they were the same width that I had widened the 32 windshield frame to and shaped the same. I've saved those for future projects in case I build a roadster out of a 30/31 again.