Register now to get rid of these ads!

When was the last time you saw one of these??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by str8axleford, Oct 26, 2008.

1. str8axleford

str8axleford

[​IMG][​IMG]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d196/90stanglx/DSC_0108.jpg" border="0" alt="amolube">
    I was digging in my garage tonight, and ran across our last 2 cans. Good ol 10-W Amolube. We got them from a friend, a whole case of it for oiling my dads printing equipment, and I took 2 cans before he could use them all up and it would be ancient history. Just a little piece of my stash... wanted to share. so when was the last time you saw one of these??? Better yet used one? lol

2. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I still have a few of the spouts or what ever they are called that you drove in those to fill the motor laying around here.

3. Abomination

Abomination

LOL!

I have like 6 spouts laying around, too! :D

~Jason

4. Zig Zag Wanderer

Zig Zag Wanderer

i worked as an attendant at a Standard station from 1984 to march of 87. far, far fewer of the case lots of the cans were being stocked at our Standard oil jobber by the end, and the transition to plastic bottles had pretty much already happened even by 84.

5. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

they still sell oil for aircraft in cans,especially for some of the turbines. just don't sell it for cars, anybody got one of those spouts that screw on mason jars for sale? I hate trying to figure out how much oil i'm pouring from a plastic bottle,then the tops still leak sometimes.

6. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Here's some oddballs

Attached Files:

7. jimmyv

jimmyv

I worked at a full service station back in the late 70's/early 80's. I hated those spouts you stuck in the top of the can. It leaked 99.9% of the time. Between that and trying to tilt it fast enough and hit the oil filler spot on the engine fast enough almost always resulted in oil all over the engine, hot exhaust manifolds and the ground.

8. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i worked for a full service place before i went into the army... he still used the cans like that, but we never had a problem with spillage on customers cars... opened the cans with a can opener, and poured the oil into a funnel already... man, i miss cans.

9. Abomination

Abomination

LOL! Yep!!! "D

~Jason

10. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

Still got some old stuff kickin' around (wonder if would make good EBAY material):):D
    [​IMG]

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

got a couple of cans on a shelf in the garage... and a few spouts... I miss them.

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Are we talking CARDBOARD cans or do the tin ones count?

13. filthy frank

filthy frank

anybody got a can of bardhall?,did i spell it right?

14. Fenders

Fenders

Good to the last drop...

Attached Files:

15. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Think it was Bardahl or something weird like that

16. Have one small can of Bardahl upper lube. I dig the old oil cans and related stuff. Show some of the youngsters an oil spout and they look puzzeled >>>>.

Attached Files:

17. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

first garage I worked at had a rain gutter screwed to the wall on an angle it fed a 5 gallon can we got free oil from the draining cans.One of the spouts we had for round "cans" was a funnel you put the funnel into the filler hole then put the can in the top and punched it down over the piercer there was a "church key" opener built into the edge of the top so you could open a vent hole in the top side of the can.The top opener was hinged into the funnel rim you could not remove it.This should have been a very clean system with this "NO Spill Spout "but 3/4 of the older cars were so sludged up that if you weren't careful you ran oil everywhere !99.9 % of the time we used a church key opener chained to the oil rack in the pump island and the funnel with the lenght of hose extension to pour oil

18. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Hey, I've been looking for one of those! Do they make one for plastic bottles? :D They used to have one on the wall at the gas station I hung out at. My buddy that worked there would put all the drippings in his Valiant 'cause it used so much oil.

19. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

big 5 gallon one

Attached Files:

20. careyohio

careyohio

We like to get ours in the 2 gal. containers............

Attached Files:

21. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

Screw the cans, lets see some pictures of your straight axled 55 ford.

22. You want oil memorabilia?! If you're ever in NW Pennsylvania, visit the "Simpler Times" museum in Tionesta. UNF&*KINGBELIEVEABLE.

23. 34dodgehemi

34dodgehemi

I've got a few...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. iamspencer

iamspencer

so strange, i was lurkign around an abandoned farm today lookign for parts, and brought one of those home, it was full

25. madjack

madjack

Worked for a full service station in the early '70s. Owner insisted that we check the oil of every car driven by a woman that we knew wasn't a regular. (You know where this is going). They were always a quart down(wink,wink) sold them a quart of air by shoving the spout into a already open/empty can and poured away. I refused to do it and thus the only job I ever got fired from

26. Or one gallon Wolf's Head refined oil. Money was tight as a teen.

27. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I think Groits garage sells them

28. i have a few cases left and spouts to saved for a rainy day.

29. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

madjack;
    I lost my first garage job in a simmular fassion I was a tire man for the local Firestone Store was told by the manager to "just throw some weights on there its a girl for Christ sake "had a bent rim I said no he said take a walk!Up side was I married that Girl 2 years later:)

30. I have about 8 Quaker state all metal cans and about the same Gulf oil, most still full... I just can't seem to get rid of them.