Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

"The top picture is a 210"

Yes, I agree

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

I'm making one more try at identifying this '61 Belair Sport Coupe. I bought it almost 30 years ago. It came out of the Philly area. The upper side panels were once painted brown, gold and red. I've sanded all the obvious places but haven't found any lettering.
    This post was on another thread, but I was encouraged to try it here.

[​IMG]

It has this weird looking fish creature on the door. I was wondering if there could be a Musser Bros or Fisher Chevrolet connection?

[​IMG]

For comparison..........

[​IMG]

It must have been raced as a small block car because it has a 6.17 posi in it. Blue interior. Any help or memories would be greatly appreciated. I have many more photos if you'd like to see a particular area.
    Thanks,
    Verne

More.....

The original color of this car is Jewel Blue, seen where the side moldings were removed. I bought the car in '79 from Jack Olcott, who bought it from Joe Koch.
    Other features of the car include a home-made heater delete, Air-Lift bags in the rear coils, an extra upper rear control arm, trunk mounted battery and a S/W electric pump under the back. There are holes in the top of the dash for a tach. The car was last set-up for an automatic. It also has an Impala steering wheel.

One other tidbit that might help is some damage to the top of the left rear quarter. Joe told me that a wheel came off a trailer and landed there. I'm not sure if that was when Joe owned it or before.

The car was originally a 3-spd car.

Thanks
    Verne

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    <!-- / message -->

3. 65deluxe

65deluxe

[​IMG]

And where does the red version fit in?
    Great thread and stories guys. Thanks for sharing and keeping it going.

4. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Spider actually owned 3 of them, not just ONE. Musser is wrong. The first one may not have been called 'Monster Mash", but the next two were. That may explain why the last one was named "Monster Mash II". The second car was a Belair Sedan and the last car was the business coupe with no back seat, etc. That was the most successful car, although all 3 ran under the record. The car with the red sides was owned by the guy who he sold it to in '66.
    Spider is 68 now and at the Grove now for the Dutch Classic. He's still racing with his wagon. When that's over, I'll try to get more info on all 3 cars. Roger Sinestri knows who did the motor in the red-sided car and more history on the Mash, so I'll try to find more from him too. Even though the car had all the Jinks tricks in it, the new owner and new motor never realized anything good with it. It was done.

Verne:)

5. 65deluxe

65deluxe

[​IMG]

Cal Method, him and his small block big Chevys are a Northwest legend.

6. 65deluxe

65deluxe

[​IMG]

Out of Mission Raceway, Taylor & McNicol. Also ran a matching 4 door sedan.

7. 65deluxe

65deluxe

[​IMG]

Unknown J/Stock 55

8. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

I'm new to the group but I thought that since pictures from my collection were already being posted I might as well join in. Here's a pic of George Cureton's 55 2 door sedan. George said that he bought the car from the telephone company. Photo courtesey of George Cureton.
    Bob Rice
    [​IMG]

9. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Here's a pic of the original "Tokyo Rose". George said the car was supposed to have turned out orange and was going to be named "Big Orange" but the paint turned out to be rose colored, hence the name. Photo courtesey of George Cureton.
    [​IMG]

10. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Here's a pic of the car after the flat towing wreck. Photo coutesey of George Cureton.
    [​IMG]

11. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Here's a pic of the Nova that he bought from Bobby Warren. Photo coutesey of George Cureton.
    [​IMG]

12. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Here's a pic of the SS/OA '66 Chevy II that he bought from my good friend Garley Daniels. Photo coutesey of George Cureton.
    [​IMG]

13. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Same car with a different paint scheme at the 79 Little Guy Nationals. George sold the car to Ned Smith after the 81 Gatornationals.
    [​IMG]

14. Old Tech Inspector

Old Tech Inspector
    from USA

I have been following this post for a while and must throw in my 2 cents worth.
    This car is the last Mash car. It was bought by two guys from Hacketstown NJ. I can't remember their names at this time.They were the last owners to race it. This picture was taken at Island Dragway. The car was never very competetive. Neither one could drive the old 3 speed trans very well. They had no money to compete with this car, hence the spray can paint job. Frank and I went through the engine. It was not as trick as you would think. It had production cast pistons with grooves cut in the skirts. It used stock moly piston rings, narrow ring with a spacer behind the ring and a 4 piece oil ring. Total piston/ ring drag of 12 lb. pull. Stock rods and heads. Head cc at 56 cc and a rate of lift regrind cam, Lunati if I remember. Doubt if it was a Jenkins engine.
    They damaged the car in a towing accident and the car went down hill from there. They were going to put a powerglide in it but they gave up before that came about, again lack of funds.........

15. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

" Old Tech Inspector: I have been following this post for a while and must throw in my 2 cents worth.
    This car is the last Mash car. It was bought by two guys from Hacketstown NJ. I can't remember their names at this time.They were the last owners to race it. This picture was taken at Island Dragway. The car was never very competetive. Neither one could drive the old 3 speed trans very well. They had no money to compete with this car, hence the spray can paint job ... "

Everything you ever wanted to know about the 'Monster Mash Saga.' This thread just KEEPSGETTINBETTER!

PS: (RE: Bob Rice's posts) Thanks for posting the great pics from 'Lil George's' collection.
    Here's one ( I took @ E-Town) George 'hisself' has never seen. *unless he's been reading this thread!
    ;)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  16. Anyone recognize these cars? The '57 210 sport coupe "In-Bomber" was a 283hp injected junior stocker, won it's class at Indy in 1968. Ran out of Omaha Nebraska by the Patrick brothers and Ken Nelson, engine by Yukio Ando, and driven at the '68 nationals by Fred Anderson, driver of the L/Stock '57 Chevy "Good-In-Tension". The '55 ran out of Virginia, and apperaed like this in the mid '70s, and had previously been painted purple with white pinstriping, red, and possibly gold (all at different times), built in the '60s. Thanks,
    -Dean

Attached Files:

17. Wouldn't happen to recognize this page would you? I don't know what magazine it is from. Thanks,
    -Dean

Attached Files:

18. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Man! How did I miss this thread. This is EXACTLY why I'm constantly telling everyone that comes to the shop about so called "flashlight drags" and "flag drags" making a comeback. And about Pinks All-Out. It's not about what you spent on your car, it's about RACING. Not brackets and timing lights. Heads up. The guy in Penna. that was in TRK a while back doing the flashlight drags on an airfield. Wow! We've (at the shop) been talking about finding a smaller drag strip near here or an airfield that would allow it and starting flag drags. It's also why we're doing HR101 this year on Gassers.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302409

This thread ROCKS!

19. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Old Tech Inspector, welcome to the HAMB and thank you for the mash 2 info. We love to hear the stories.
    Their's an article in the Feb 65 issue of SS/DI on the first mash car. If anyone has it, can you scan and post it. I'd love to see more of this car. What did become of it?

[​IMG]

20. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

[​IMG]

That page is not from THIS THIS issue, but it might be from a (later) CC mag.

Seems the 'rags' all 'discovered' Junior Stocks in the late 60s and the genre started to get massive 'ink.' Car Craft, Hot Rod, and Super Stock mags all did features and/or 'series' on Jr. Stocks.

Here's another shot from that (July '68) Car Craft featuring Lakeland, Florida's Jim Waibel.

Attached Files:

21. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

This is the first of George's cars that I saw run at Delmar, probably in the summer of 1966. He and my friend Charlie Hampp ran the same class then.

22. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

... "It has this weird looking fish creature on the door. I was wondering if there could be a Musser Bros or Fisher Chevrolet connection?"

[​IMG]

For comparison..........

[​IMG]

I think you may be 'on to something' with the 'fish-creature' connection Verne. Wonder who owned that SS/EA Chevelle?

<!-- / message -->​

23. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Bob, I remember some 'flap' about NHRA being very 'distressed' because George showed up to compete at a major event ('67 Tulsa World Finals?) in PRIMER. Was that after this towing accident?

24. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

The Fisher Chevrolet Chevelle (SS/EA) was owned by Barry Musser. Ernie had stopped driving by then (Ernie only drove sticks). I think the Chevelle was yellow.

Verne:)

25. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Actually, this picture was taken by George Cureton at Bristol.
    Bob Rice

26. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

That would have been Bristol after the accident. George Cureton photo.
    [​IMG]

27. biscaynes

biscaynes

she don't look so bad...:rolleyes:

28. Old Tech Inspector

Old Tech Inspector
    from USA

Yes you are correct. Here is a picture of Jenkins' A/S Nova at Island Dragway ( I am standing in the background ) The 55 is a few cars back, I will try to figure out how to scan it. By the way the reason the Mash cars were different body styles is because the HP to weight break for I/S ( the original class for a 195 hp '55 )used to be 15.61 lb. per HP, the car had to be a 210 sedan to make the break. I think it was 1966 when NHRA changed to a different system for example10 to 10.49 was D/S at the time
    10.5 to 10.99 11.0 and so on to 14.0 then they were even numbers such as 14.0 to 14.99 15.0 to 15.99 and so on. Anyway after the weight break changes the business coupe ( body number 1012B ) was the more competitive. If you mounted the radiator in front of the core support you could use a 6 cylinder shipping weight and probably fit in a different class

Attached Files:

29. 57 delivery

57 delivery
    from Edgely,Pa.

Thank you. I was afraid that would be the deal. I was recently told to count on $30,000 to be competitive but I know your rundown,as an actual racer,is far more accurate. Friday at Maple Grove I saw maybe 3 open trailer/Crew cab setup's. Everything else mostly was toterhomes/enclosed trailers. As I have been told,and you may agree maybe,the litttle guys are not really drag racing competitively. As your rundown shows,it is expensive. How about this one: I was told by another racer to convert my old Jr Stk. 57 delivery to a super stocker. The logic: "you already have the car and a bunch of 283's". Now I KNOW a good S/S motor has to be expensive these days if a stocker comes in where you just put it. And thank you for that post. I appreciate it........

30. 57 delivery

57 delivery
    from Edgely,Pa.

Other than watching the guys scrape frost off the cars in the morning it was a good day. Those Hemi cars were flying. I know Jim Daniels and crew so it was cool to see him runnign in the 8.50's. Were you racing?? Thanks again for posting your cool pictures.Did you see that Barsky /Mcmath 57 Super Stocker wagon??That thing flat gets it too!!!!!!!!!