Register now to get rid of these ads!

F100 Door window problem / question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by garagerods, Oct 25, 2008.

1. garagerods

garagerods
    from Omaha

Single window glass in the door and replace the wing window????

Short story:
    I worked extra side jobs and was able to buy a driver off of *bay to enjoy while I'm building my rod and now I'm fixing everything that is wrong with it.:(

I'm sure the guy did his best and he spent a shit load of cash on it but now I'm going back and fixing freak'n everything!

Anyway...glass doesn't fit, seal, tracks not right, binding, power windows added, scratches glass when going up/down, wings don't lock or close all the way...

I'm thinking of replacing all with the single window glass and redoing everything.

Thoughts???

Any How-to's on this?

Supplier's??

I greatly appreciate everyone's input!

2. duste01

duste01

look at LMC and see how much it costs. The wing windows are expensive to deal with but LMC prices are good. You will have to investigate why its binding though.

3. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Hi,
    I got single side window in my '54 Panel,and I love 'em,very clean kustom look,without the vent frame they bring the roofline down,almost like a small chop.Fitting them does require cutting the door a bit and you need some real strong glue for the fur flexes. Put aside a weekend for the job, cos of glue drying time etc. I bought a complete 'solid side window kit' from midfifty.com and I have to say it wasn't cheap, but the fit is perfect. Comes in tint, smoke or clear to match your screen. Hope this helps,
    Paul.

4. garagerods

garagerods
    from Omaha

Thanks guys!

Any pics??

Paul, did you keep the stock window crank or are you running a power unit?

5. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I just kept the stock units,on a kind o 'less to go wrong' basis.I'll post a coupla picks on this thread when I get my goddamn camera back off my son!(probably monday)watch this space.
    Paul

6. 57f100

57f100

7. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Can't really say for trucks, but I've seen plenty of shots of trad Kustoms (including a couple of Barris) running without wing windows, after chops maybe, and like I said, the longer window line of the one piece tends to make an Effy's profile seem lower,at least to my eyes.Here's one of my favorites,Craig Hahn's 'Poison Dart Frog ''55.Although I think this HAS been lightly chopped,you see how the solid side window cleans up the lines IMHO.
    Paul

[​IMG]

8. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I got rid of the wing windows on my 56. It cleaned it up a bit but I have to say I wouldn't do it again. I drove alot with the windows down and the wind buffeting was worse without the wing windows...

9. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

I kept the wings on my 56 and loved them. Best way to get some air inside the truck.
    Midfiftys is the best BEST people to deal with, they know their shit.

10. PUMPKINHEAD

PUMPKINHEAD

I have the one piece curved windows using stock regulators on mine.I would have kept the stock windows and vents if the doors werent already gutted.

If your doors are in DP-90 and in good condition I'll trade ya! =)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  11. garagerods

garagerods
    from Omaha

Thanks 57F100, I'm going to check it out.

I'm torn...I love the cleaner look but I also know how nice it is to have the wings open and the windows down.

12. garagerods

garagerods
    from Omaha

If it didn't have shiny paint already, I would take you up on it!:rolleyes:

13. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

The no vent window's is kinda 80's!

14. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

15. tiger mark

tiger mark
    from burbank,il

Have extra doors from the 58 pick-up they are still stock all there, interested?

16. davedeltadog

davedeltadog

This is my 56 F100. Has a 4 inch chop and power one-piece windows. It looks cool ,but I would not do the one-piece windows or remove the door handles again, the windows have to be all the way up in rain. If you keep the little vent windows you can vent the cab without rain coming in. Just my 2 cents.
    Dave

[​IMG]

17. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Awsome truck! great proportions..

18. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Hey Garagerods,
    this is my '54 panel with the Midfifty solid side window. It wasnt the easiest of jobs, but it was done after paint without screwing anything up. Just my 2 cents worth, but it doesnt seem to have made any difference with circulation or anything like that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Best of luck whichever way you decide to go.
    Paul

19. davedeltadog

davedeltadog

Cool panel, I think the 53 to 56 F100s are the best looking trucks ever!!
    take care, Dave