Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures What's your Favorite Car Chase/Rum Runner Movies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38plymouth, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Look close at the one engine shot in the moovie, It's a J-2 Olds, that was a popular engine swap back then.

2. junk fiend

junk fiend

2 Fast 2 Furious!

3. May Pop

May Pop

Dennis Weaver in DUEL. First Steven Spielbird movie. Makes me cry at the sad ending every time.
    I would love an old Pete like that if I had one. Any truck with 90 lb rail for a front bumber is great.
    Favorite line is "He must have some kind of a souped up diesel".
    R.I.P. Dennis Weaver

4. 38plymouth

38plymouth

I'll see whats available for rentals on the older stuff and work my way forward. Watched some of the clips on You Tube and now have the names of the ones I haven't seen completely. Thanks for your posts.......

Just one more question, what should I use to wash the pop corn down with while watching these oldies?

5. autobilly

autobilly

Thunder Road has it all!

6. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

i liked Convoy and Breaker Breaker!

7. belair

belair

Don't forget "The Getaway" with McQueen

8. BCR

BCR

Anybody heard of a guy called Bond???? Goldfinger and the gal in the Mustang... and the factory chase scene with the ejector seat. ... On Her Magisty's Secret Service and the babe in the 428CJ Couger Conv... Diamonds are Forever- Las Vegas and the 71 Mach 1,Tiffiny Case and Bond against the Vegas police... I'm sure I missed a few but I love all the chase scenes in the series. Even the boat chase scene with Roger Moore where the Southern Cop is talkin about his brother in laws fast boat... I guess not many of these are HAMB friendly but Gators 71 LTD wasn't either(That son-of-a-B was cool though)

1984ish??? To Live And Die IN L.A. had a kick ass one where they beat the shit out of some LTD's

What about Clint Eastwood in The Dead Pool where the r.c. Corvette rigged with explosives chases them... (Guns and Roses Welcome to the Jungle by Jim Carrey)

9. Hudsonator

Hudsonator
    from Tennessee

10. Rossodino34

Rossodino34

Ronin is one of the best, made by the same director who did the French Connection (another good chase). BMW produced a series of short films called The Hire. I forget where I got the DVD but it had some great driving.

11. biscaynes

biscaynes

got my vote. nice jewel blue '61 impala in there, unfortunately it gets wrecked. :eek:

12. Hallun1

Hallun1

I saw a movie as a kid I am trying to find. I think James Garner was in it and all I remeber is that a group of kids where harrasing him with their hotrods and he ended up setting the cars on fire in the kids front yards at the end of the movie. Any remember this? Whats the title? I have been trying to find out for years. Thanks. Dan

13. 283nova

283nova
    from spokane,wa

i forgot christine !!!

14. uncleo

uncleo

Great choices guys glad to see Bad Bob included The French Connection chase under those elevated subway tracks and the Seven Ups....was it a Nova or Pontiac that crashed into the tractor trailer shearing its top?
    Lee

15. skwurl

skwurl

Thunder Road is the best.

16. Corné

Corné

Bullitt
    Blues Brothers
    Gone in 60 seconds (original)
    Vanishing Point (original)

17. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

Gator McClusky and White Lightning, the only '72 Ford 429 Police Interceptor that's both a 4 speed and an automatic.

18. jdj9410

jdj9410
    from Paris TX

Thunderoad, hands down.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  19. belair

belair

I remember it too-I think it was a made-for TV movie. There was a Nomad, but I can't remember if they burned it or a sedan wagon at the end.

20. san408

san408
    from Oklahoma

I can't believe the newb is the only one to list "The Last American Hero" based on the life of Junior Johnson. Wow.

If there is a movie that fits this thread perfectly it's that one.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070287/

21. I did. I remember it by the original title.

22. rq375

rq375
    from Washington

C'etait Un Rendezvous by Claude Lelouch

23. san408

san408
    from Oklahoma

Doh. Missed that, and I was thinking of both titles when I was reading through this thread. My fault... like I said, newb. :)

24. I read the book, didn't know they made a movie though.

25. Was a Ventura, Pontiac seemed to be the supplier of automobiles in that movie. I have a Grand Ville a lot like the bad guy's car they were chasing, even in one of those tanks a 455 is something to behold.

And The French Connection, no way could you do that chase today, one good crunch into something and Hackman would have a face full of airbag.

If you want to talk just plain car chases, though, the scenes in "McQ" when John Wayne is chasing the laundry truck in his plain, dark green Trans Am, taking shortcuts through Seattle streets, that's a pretty good chase scene. I think that came out before The French Connection, but I'd have to look it up to be sure. Wayne made McQ after turning down the Dirty Harry role, and deciding that was a mistake when the latter was a success.

26. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

anything with clint eastwood in a car chase. that should cover it.

27. 38plymouth

38plymouth

I just got back from the local video rental stores and they have nothing. Even movies that are fairly recent (90's) are not available. There's a couple of smaller stores that may have something older that I haven't checked yet so maybe I'll get lucky.

Anybody that has these old movies better take got care of them. Most of them are history.

28. Krylon King

Krylon King

Smokey and the Bandit
    Vanishing Point (Original)
    Bullit
    Gumball Rally
    Cannonball Run
    Cannonball (David Carradine)
    Thunderoad
    And all the others.

29. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

yep,i had a terrible time finding cannonball run, I even work with the guy who painted the M4 that they flew into the square, used to work with a bunch of people who were extras in the movie.

30. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

All good movies but what about "WW and the Dixie Dance Kings" with Burt Reynolds driving around in the black and gold custom Olds and "Sugarland Express"?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008