Register now to get rid of these ads!

straight axle/bags?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirtracer, Oct 22, 2008.

1. dirtracer

dirtracer

Is it possible to use bags with a paralell leaf straight axle? HELP!

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

uh yep! Use the search button and you'll find the hamber that makes the front bag/spring crossmember.

3. dirtracer

dirtracer

I guess I'm a tard! I can't seem to operate the search function!:confused:

4. dirtracer

dirtracer

Somebody? Anybody?:(

5. They have been doing it on parrallel leaf rear axles for a long time, as load levelers. I hope you run fenders because it would look ugly.

6. That's for transverse spring type setup, and replaces the spring. I believe he means leaving the leaf sprins in, and adding bags for lift and drop.

7. dirtracer

dirtracer

Yes, It has fenders. It is a '51 ford pickup. I need a picture or a diagram or something to get me pointed the right way. It has leafs front and rear.

8. dirtracer

dirtracer

Okay, I guess I'm on my own!

9. DollaBill

DollaBill

10. DollaBill

DollaBill

And if that doesn't work for you, then I suggest this...

Purchase a dropped axle...you need as much "static" drop as you can get...

http://www.cenpen.com/truckaxles.htm

Have the main leaves of your springs reversed...that will get you another inch...

Depending on the number of original leaves in your spring pack, you are going to want to remove a few...basically as many, but no more, than is necessary to have the vehicle sit at "dropped" height...

Then source yourself some "sleeve" or "rolling lobe" styles bags...Air Lift and Air Ride Technologies sells them...

Then fabricate a set of brackets (bolt-on on the axle end, welded on, on the frame) that take into consideration any clearance issues associated with the drag link, tie rod, and shocks...yes you MUST run shocks...

So what you end up with is the air bags "restoring" the spring capacity that you removed by taking out the leaves.

11. CSU55Chevy

CSU55Chevy
    from Olathe, CO

You will probably get a better search result if you type in "air over leaf." That is what most guys call that setup. you remove ALOT of the leaves out of the leaf pack then use the bag to adjust the ride height. Its kind of an undesirable way to do it when compared to a 4-link, but its damn cheap! ... hope that helps

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

what works with a cross spring wouldn't work with parrallell leaves. if you wanted to do it on your F-1 I'd say remove all the leaves but the main leaf and use the leaves as an axle locater only. then put your bags between the axle and frame.

better yet get a a nice dropped axle, a lowered monoleaf and leave the bags for someone else.

13. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

There is also the option of putting on a mustang II front suspension.

14. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

or finding a donor vehicle to molest a IFS out of? then you wouldnt have to worry about any of those pesky oil pan problems :)

15. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

Come on dude, if you can't even vaguely picture how to do it without help I doubt you have the engineering ability to actually do it. And anyway, why would you NOT be able to do it? :confused:

A simple internet search for related subjects will return a million hits in 0.00098 seconds, so get browsing and work it out for yourself. You'll gain a lot more respect for doing it that way here on the Hamb than just asking 'how do I do it?'.