Register now to get rid of these ads!

how should i ask?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junk fiend, Oct 21, 2008.

1. junk fiend

junk fiend

need opinions on how to ask a creepy old lady if she wants to sell a old car in her garage? my parents were walking by and saw what they thought was a 60s tbird but they wernt sure. so how do i ask? i know its dumb but just looking for advice. Thanks

2. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Tell her its a special car, and you can't stand to see it dusty, and that you'd like to pull it out and wash it for her.

3. MikeVCU

MikeVCU

knock on her door and tell her you've noticed it in her garage and you really like it. Who knows, she might have been trying to get rid of it but didn't know a good way to do it. You could be her way to get rid of it, haha. you never know, worth a try. goodluck:)

4. junk fiend

junk fiend

the thing is that i dont know what kind of car it is. maybe i should just knock on the door and say "i saw a old car in your garage can i take a look at it". but i have a feeling she wont even open the door. guess ill try this weekend.

5. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

If she does not answer leave a note in the door asking if she would be interested in selling it, and put your name and number on it.

6. my thoughts exactly , knock on the door !

7. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Do it all cleaned up and not looking like a hooligan. They do still judge books by their covers out there. Especially the older ones.

Tell her the truth, your folks saw it out walking and thought you'd be interested.

Now go on to tell her your looking for your first car and would like to have something with some class that people could appreciate rather than some loud ugly foreign thing. Then get it, bag, it, and make it scream!

8. Joe King

Joe King

People use to stop by my mom about a old bell she had, I know she did like some wild story or notes on her door. She didn't want to sell it but she didn't mind people asking directly. Be polite.

9. You mean like "creepy" and "old"? :D

10. Rooster

Rooster

I'd try the polite route. Mention your parents, the classy first car thing sounded awesome! Definitely offer to clean it for her without any strings, just to see it's real beauty. Don't go over the top or her grandkids will suddenly want it. A couple hours cleaning and drinking lemonade with a suddenly less creepy old lady remembering her youth will be worth the karma down the line even if you don't get the car.

11. Sounds lie you are assuming. What does it cost you to tell her the truth? Your mom and dad walked by, mentioned it to you, you are into cars and would like to know what it is and if she is interested in selling it.
    I wouldn't mention anything about being a hot rodder though, just an automotive enthusiast.

Edit: Good advice Rooster.

12. mottsrods

mottsrods

Tell me where it's at, I'll ask her!!!

13. 61TBird

61TBird

Have your parents go back and ask.
    They saw it and might get a better response.

14. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

Don't start out by saying "Hi creepy old lady..."

15. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

i live up the street, and im pretty good at talking to creepy old women, let me know if you need a wingman. dont worry, i have no money so i cant try and buy it out from under ya... is it at that house on comprimise line with the hudson in the yard, over by the highschool? thought i remembered seeing one there a while back. but im good with old people, if you want ill go with and do the talkin'. smiling and politeness are the keys with the elderly, especially creepy or grumpy ones

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  16. The37Kid

The37Kid

First of all the world is full of BULL SHIT, so be honest with the lady. Knock on the door introduce yourself, explain that you saw the car and would like to know if it is for sale. No big deal, be polite, have your name and address and phone number on a card to give to her, so she can get back to you. Get her name and phone number, and call back if she isn't ready to sell the day you first see it.

17. caught a glimpse one day of what i thought was a 60' chevy in a garage one day, 6 months later i finally stopped and asked the old gal about it and at first was pretty uninterested in having anything to do with me. 20 minutes later as i decided to say fuck it i told her that if she changed her mind she could find me at the local grocery store because my parents owned it. not 30 seconds later she lit up telling me a story about my dad bringing her some groceries when she was sick and couldn't get out. needless to say i ended up with a 60' chevy impala convertable that had been in her garage. the only one that wasn't happy was her grandson that was sure he was going to end up with it. all it costs was cutting her grass for one year and delivering her groceries when she needed them. one of the cool things was learning all the history about the area. but be careful because you might end up with a friend.

18. Fenders

Fenders

Yah, then take her to dinner, wine her and dine her, maybe hit the sack with her later...

19. Also, don't be surprised if she says no the first time.
    Sometimes, persistance will work. That's one thing I've noticed about my, and the later, generations, is that if they can't get it on the first attempt, they either say "fuck it" or get all bent over it. If it's meant to be, it's gonna happen, and sometimes you actually have to work to get it.

I'm 33 btw, so I'm not that far from where you are... at least in MY mind. ;)

Good luck, and stay the course if you don't hit the nail the first time...

Jay

20. Be honest, be polite,and approach her when she is outdoors. Let her know that your folks noticed the car and that they pass the info on to you because they knew you'd be interested in seeing it. Also, be quick to listen and slow to speak- one reason she may be creepy is that no one has taken the time to speak to her in years. Letting someone hold your attention will bring more opportunities and possibilities than you can imagine!

Oh, and don't forget to post pics:D

21. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

and like said before, offer to keep it clean for her for rfee if she doesnt want to sell it right now

22. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Put on a Foose shirt, tell her she's on Overhaulin' and you need a signed title to begin work on the car...

Good luck with getting that car man. To the guy that said to be persistent... I was VERY polite to this guy that had a '69 Mach 1 in rough shape poking out from under a half fallen over carport... I came back once every other week to catch the guy in his yard. He told me to come back tomorrow and he'd think up a price. I came back the next day and the dude pulled a gun on me and told me to get the FK off his property (which I was never on). I wasn't dressed like a hoodlum and didn't talk slang around him either. I did the yes sir, no sir thing with all my "pleases" and "thank you's"... I've never wanted to hurt a person so bad in my life... punk ass...

23. junk fiend

junk fiend

thanks alot guys, this is some good stuff, i already asked the guy next door if he wanted to sell his AA truck so i dont know why i dont know what to do.

24. junk fiend

junk fiend

im not worried about the polite part, got out of swirving into some lady and messing her car up just by being real nice:D

25. bryan6902

bryan6902

Never hurts to be a little sweet! Cut some grass, deliver some groceries, big deal! Most of us have more than enough time to accomplish some shit if the reward is worth it. Offer to help her out, don't be a jerk and if she says no, big deal, there's other cars around. Be willing to walk away empty handed. If it really turns out to be a great find and she stills says no, be persistant. Walk by and say hello, if you see her out and your driving by, slow down wave and smile. Even if you never end up with the car you should feel better just for being a little friendly to some old lady who is most likely more lonely than creepy or weird. :D

26. junk fiend

junk fiend

yeah i was thinking about offering to clean up her yard a little or something like that. and if she says no il probably drive by every day to see if i can catch a glimpse of it. and i will leave a number.

27. I have done the polite asking and all that ....if no sale

IMMPORTANT ...LEAVE A OFFER TO BUY

SO be ready to leave a half a check deposit slip with your name address and phone.. Remove the acct numbers ... Tell them to put it with the title card and call you when they decide to sell... If you don't / can't buy it you may know some one who would...

This has worked 3 of 4 times the 4th time my phone number changed after 22 years and they were unable to reach me but they tried .. I just happened to see some movement on the car cover one day and stopped missed the big window 55 chev truck by just a few hours....

28. El Gordo

El Gordo

Just like the very cherry '67 Chevelle we found in a front-garage in my neighbourhood. I spotted the tail lights and bumper sticking out of a large pile of "stuff" and wrote down the address and sent my nephew over to see if the guy had any parts to sell. Lucky, as only the day before the guys wife had crapped on him because the "old car hasn't moved in 6 years." My nephew made a deal with the guy for $1500 sight unseen - (we were thinking parts car). We showed up that weekend and started digging - the car was completely buried. There was stuff on the side, hood, trunk and roof 3 feet deep. The interior and trunk were FULL to the top. Once we had all that cleared off and out we found a white '67 Chevelle with 20 year old paint - no rust, Bright red SS interior/ buckets and console, 250 ci 6 and 2 speed auto. I got it started in half an hour and were soon tooling around town.

Moral of the story:

Ya gotta ask!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  29. Rooster

Rooster

Awe man! Bag the car, not the ole lady!!!hahahaha That's just Wrong!!!

So I'm out the other day and notice this formula s barracuda literally laying on the ground and stop to check it out. I never approach a vehicle that isn't close to a direct route to a home. No answer to the knock so I holler out. Next thing ya know, two thick ass pits come haulin around the back corner at me full bore! I just did what was natural, OK it wasn't like I had a choice, I got down and played with em! Can't imagine the range of emotions the ole boy had when he followed em around, but he sure seemed happy to see me when I stood up and told him what a beautiful coupla dogs he had! lol As we talked he started leadin me around to more interesting things, like a SCJ Mustang and Hudson witha supersix. He even told me about some guy lookin to unload an ex-gasser Bantam project. Ya never know... this story might get an update.

Edit: The moral of the story? If ya don't know what yer gettin into, it pays to smell of double cheeseburger!!! If the dogs like ya the owner usually follows...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  30. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

How about a little sweet talk'n, a box of chocolates and putting out if you need to? Go for it dude.

Or you could just knock on the door, be nice and friendly and just ask about the car and see what she says. She might turn out not to be a creepy old lady, but a nice person and you might end up with a cool car.