Register now to get rid of these ads!

dry ice cleaning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 85-percent, Oct 19, 2008.

1. 85-percent

85-percent

I saw this on history or discovery or tlc cable channels.

they blast an old thing with dry ice, kinda like as if it was soda blasting, and the priceless old bible or painting or pot comes out looking brand new.

Does this remarkable procedure have any place for old cars?

Anybody know? It looked really cool on the show, but it might be hyper expensive?

-90% Jimmy

2. F.O.G

F.O.G
    from Pacific,Mo

Removal of paint by blasting with dry ice pellets was invented/pioneered by McDonnell-Douglas about 15 years ago, is eco-friendly and surface is
    ready to paint when finished. So far has not caught on with automotive
    types because of cost. Until you see it done you can,t imagine how neat
    the process is.

3. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I have a friend of mine that removed all that tarry soundproofing from his floorboards with dry ice. he filled the floor pans with it,then hit the stuff with a chisel, and it came off in sheets. I will have to look for the pictures,this is an economical use of it people on here can try.

4. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Really? Letting all the CO2 just sublimate into the atmosphere? Greenhouse gasses! Al Gore! An inconvenient truth! Fire and brimstone, dogs and cats, living together! OMG!! :eek:

:rolleyes:

For the tar removal, you can pick up dry ice at most any grocery store - I want to say it's about a dollar for 10lbs or so. We just picked some up for a camping trip a few weeks ago - lasts longer than regular ice.

5. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

lol it's just co2 thats already in the air,it's just refined out,then frozen. I always have wondered about the exact process on that one. :D

6. tomslik

tomslik

oh, let's just blast al gore with rock salt mixed with jalapeno juice...

7. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

great idea!!!

8. RETROD

RETROD

One of my customers uses the dry ice blasting to clean and remove weld slag from their production jigs. Does a good jog and dissipates as soon as it hits.

9. RETROD

RETROD

Fat finger typing. 'Does a good job...'

10. HasonJinkle

HasonJinkle

We tried this method to remove external corrosion and tar mastic on pipelines. While it worked ok, it was insanely expensive and the product and production time weren't anywhere near good enough to justify the cost. The more traditional nontraditional media works just fine without the order of magnitude redarded cost. Oh yeah- you have to cut it half and half with food grade rice. We went through 20,000 pounds- I bought out every fucking store in Alaska, there was NO rice in the state.
    The dry ice has to be a metered prill size in order to be fed into the hopper and blast uniformly. There are only a few plants that can make it. You do NOT want to know what it costs to have a fucking DC6 full of dry ice flown in from Calgary, which was the nearest plant. Too funny- when the planes showed up the windows were all fogged over.
    Big on the gee whiz factor but even bigger on the cost.

And you wonder why fucking gas is so expensive...

11. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

We use this to clean our injection mold tools at the plant I work.

12. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

We use the same method to clean our rubber compression molds at work.
    Now I'm going to have to bring some car parts in and give them a go...I never thought about trying it. Thanks for the idea!:D

13. 50shoe

50shoe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sublimation_point

sublimation. one of the few compounds that does it well.

and watch all that gas! easy to suffocate yourself in a confined space.

now liquid nitrogen. thats cold!

14. Went to Disney-World one year, bought an Ice Pop from a vendor, must have been one of the last ones laying on the dry ice. Put it in my mouth and it stuck to my tongue. I couldn't get it off and was trying to tell my wife I needed warm water. Talk about people laughing at you. Even I had to laugh.........Later.

I don't use dry ice.

15. I've seen it used to blast mold from wood etc. Handy after your house was used as a grow-op!!!