Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

aaaaaa

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  2. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

TMcCrea, I have that same issue of HOT ROD; for when I was building my 56' Sedan Delivery in a pseudo-junior stocker style. Looks like someone managed to get it out of the "dayroom". I won't say where my copy came from, but it was under similar circumstances. I wish I had been old enough at the time of Junior Stocks heyday. These days, everytime I see a 55-57 Chevrolet on the street or at a show, I wonder if it was a former drag car; so many of them are; at least those that did'nt go to the crusher after their racing days were over. Butch/56sedandelivery.

chryslerfan55 and Tom 57 150 like this.
  4. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Butch,

IN Aug. of 1965 I bought this '55 from a used car/junk yard dealer for $100, they were asking $110. It was a 265 3 speed car which they claimed was owned by a school teacher. A month later I got drafted and sold it to my best friend. He had a '55 Bel Air 2 dr HT that wasn't running to his satisfaction (race car) so he sold it and my car was to be the replacement.

They stripped the car, sand blasted, scrapped undercoat, etc. and had Bill Stiles build a ForgedTrue engine for them. Bill knew Hemi's, but a SBC must have been foreign to him. He installed the pistons backwards and bent the valves when they missed the flycuts. Anyway, the car was very competitive and was a record holder for several years. When the stock rules changed, my friend sold the '55 and built an brand new 1970 375HP 396 Camaro for C/S. Last I heard, the '55 was on the street.

[​IMG], [​IMG]

5. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Hi Guys ... 'Stumbled' across this thread yesterday. I was getting a bit sentimental the other day as I was going through some old papers and photos. Guess it had something to do with my approaching birthday. Lots of very-excellent memories here -- thought I'd share some of mine. I noticed several posts regarding various car-mag recognition of 'us' ... "The Junk Yards for Lunch Bunch." Sooo here's a shot *of the last (tossed the others) remaining car mag I own.

... *wonder what ever happened to 'Big John' Barkley; last I heard, he was headed for Vietnam!
    Note: Alas, there is NO image as (apparently) I need a web site ... silly me, I thought I could simply browse my hard drive and add one.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. Big John is still around. He works for Peterson publishing I believe, or one of the
    car magazine groups. I passed him on the North bound 57 freeway a month or so
    ago. He was driving a '65-6 Red Belair tudor sedan. Back in the late 80's I worked for a place named Spectra Racing & Engine Development and he did some articles with us.

7. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Here is the magazine cover image cover I mentioned in my last post!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  8. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Really glad to hear that ... was afraid for the worst. Never met him, but he was 'but a handfull' of 'us' to get major cover 'ink' like he did.

Thanks!
    ... Steve

Attached Files:

9. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

'How about Super Stock ....'

A lot of the Jr Stockers became 'Super Stockers'

... my last (Chevelle) became a SS/NA ... alas, it broke more, and back then I was usually broke!:(

Attached Files:

10. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Yes, I remember that rig -- quite a sight!

Any of you 'NED' guys remember any of the 56 Pontiacs -- Ed Hamberger ('Banana Peel'), Ed Beyer (before he went with Hurst), or Gary Ledbedder ('Rough Ride')?

... Steve
    [​IMG]

11. My brother-in-law runs a B/S 427 wagon. Went 10.52 @ 127 @
    Fontana National Open a couple weekends ago. This car has the "left over" parts in it. This winter we are gonna put the good trans/rear/engine
    in it and give his A & B/S hardtop a much deserved overhual. The week
    before Fontana, Richard Charboneaux showed up at Galpin Auto Sports
    where my brother-in-law works. He was in California and wanted to meet
    Chris. I'll post pics as soon as Chris sends me some, all the ones I have are from magazines or professional photogs and their protected

12. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

John Thropp sold his '57 Pontiac "Passionate Poncho" and built this car, another winner.

[​IMG]

13. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Here's another strong running Div. 1 car. Tim laterally finished putting the car together in the staging lanes at Indy in 1969. He still has the car, but I don't think it has been out of the garage in 20 years.

[​IMG]

14. Oh man! You just hit me in the sweet spot! I LLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEE 56's. Not a JR. Stocker, but hears ours. We got it back in the family in '04 after 38 years. 56 @Pond-2.jpg

56 smokers-1.jpg

68_12_sb.jpeg

IMG_1135.jpg

15. John356

John356

Has anyone got any info on what happened to Dave Boertman's 59 Chevy.In 1969 I was racing my street car,a 62 Chevy 409,at central Ohio strips,Hyde Park,Pacemaker,Nat.Trail with some success but I wanted a real race car.That winter I was at Elk's Head Service to pick up some parts and saw a notice on the board that the Boertman car was for sale for around 2 grand.I tried to raise the cash, but could not.To this day I have wondered where that car went.

16. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Dave and his "Budget Breaker" sure inspired a lot of guys with his Tulsa World Finals win. I wasn't there, but I did see it LIVE with a bunch of friends. It was Sunday, Oct 20, 1968 ... Crest Theater, Baltimore, MD closed-circuit telecast 2:00-5:00 PM. Still have the ticket stub ... #0043 ... $5.50! It was a 'never-to-repeat' (Drag Race) closed-circuit-telecast money loser for the theater ... the seats were about 10% filled!

Don't recall who he beat, cept that it was (I think) an A/S or B/S big block 66 Chevy. I believe Dave had about a four-second handicap. Can you imagine how he felt hitting the first set of lights ... with one eye (both?) on the rearview mirror, hands squeezing the resin out of the steering wheel, right foot bending the floorboards, bigg smile rapidly forming!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  17. 65deluxe

65deluxe

[​IMG]

Here's a shot I came across of Dave's Budget Breaker. Photographer nor any other info available. Obvious by the decals across the windshield it was a good day.

Any information or pictures of Dave's 69 Chev?

chryslerfan55 and badgascoupe like this.
  18. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Aging you guys a bit here but I remember as a young teen cutting that picture out of a magazine (CC?) and gluing into my scrap book. Loved that wgn. Any other pictures of it?

19. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

That is one cool 59.:cool: What brand of wheels are those?:confused: Hurst?:confused:

20. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

The wheels are Fenton's, still on the car at Indy in 1969.

[​IMG]

Torkwrench likes this.
  21. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

I shot a few movies back in those days and I think I have the Stock Eliminator final at Englishtown in 1971 when Dave and Judy ran each other. As I expected, it wasn't even a race. Dave motored off the line, let Judy win and didn't put either record in jeopardy.

This is at Indy.

[​IMG]

22. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

I didn't know it was in a magazine.

Bob W.

23. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Great picture! (waiting for teardown at Indy??)
    I'm pretty sure the '69 made its debut at the (inaugural) York, PA Summernationals in 1970. I believe it to have been white and 'looking' very unlikely/ungainly as a race car. I was fairly close in the pits when it left the line on a time run and most of us were amazed with its performance given how it 'seemed' to 'lumber' off the line. With its 255/350 it was, like the 185/283 '59 ... the quintessential highly-efficient stocker killing machine!

24. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

'Wagons' ... Yes, there were 'soo' many. Just a few I remember (including two I was lucky enough to 'crew' with) ... The 'VistaBruiser' Olds, the Ceri Brother's Chevelle, Doctor Jack Robinson's (Lubick?) Olds, the Wheatly Brothers host of 'triple 5's,' Ray Allen's (really luved this name!) 'Terrible Tangerine,' Lee Sherman's 'nine-passenger' 66 full-sized Chev. And then there were those guys from Racing Head Service, in Memphis TN ... they stuffed that 303 Cu In, ONE HUNDRED, THIRTY-FIVE HP early-Olds engine into everything ... sedans, wagons, and even convertibles! They ruled the lower (automatic classes) for a while. Not sure, but I don't think NHRA ever 'factored' that engine.

And then there was one guy on the (other) coast who put the 1965/66 220HP, 283 into EVERYTHING .... Jerry McClanahan was his name. He 'owned' that 'combination for a time. Lee Sherman and I were finally able to grab the P/SA record (13.86/97.19) at the (admittedly) 'sticky' (*concrete starting line) Suffolk, VA WCS meet in Nov, 75, but held it for only about a week till 'West-Coast Jerry' grabbed it again! Jerry was really good ... heard a story at an Englishtown meet one day, that McClanahan was 'pressed' to be ready for a West Coast WCS meet, so he found this 100,000 mile plus short block (minimal friction ... smart Jerry!), and installed it (with the 'good' heads, etc, of course) and then proceeded to put the *record (*one of many he could run in) in the WEEDS!

Those were really the good old Daze!

So it Goes!
    ... Steve

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  25. motorsent

motorsent
    from eastern Pa

26. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

27. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

RE: 'Posting Pictures'
    We'd love to see them ... Please persevere!

28. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Call me (if you'd like), I'll be home till 3:00ish ... I'll email you my phone #!

29. 1Bad67

1Bad67

Here's a picture of my '67 GTO before I bought it.
    The car supposedly spent time in Hawaii where it was called the "Hawaiian Punch"
    The picture was taken at Medford Oregon. When the car was last run by Rick Reynolds & Ed Jacklett.

If I could find some better pictures of it I'd be tempted to redo the panel paint job on it.

Eric

Attached Files:

30. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland