Register now to get rid of these ads!

getting rid of that smell..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tony Ray, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Hey guys, wondering what will get rid of the dead animal/cow dung smell in my 50. floors need total replacing, there was no interior in it at all.. was hoping once I cut out the floor out it would be gone, but doesnt seem like I'm going to get that done until next spring. Car had sat for over 20 years according to the guy I got it off of. Was planning to sandblast the trunk area to get that rubberize lining out of there.. would that help if I blasted the rest of the interior? or is there something else I can try?? Getting a bit tired of smelling that smell that smells smelly..
    Tony

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Go to an animal/pet supply store and buy a deodorizing enzyme spray.
    It works! It actually eats the bacteria causing the smell.

3. And lots of luck sandblasting a ruberized substance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!sand likes to bounce right off it

4. Big Pauly

Big Pauly

An open box of Arm&Hammer did the trick for my sister's 55. It had been sitting for about ten years and was a bit funky.

5. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Thanks! as far as blasting the trunk liner off, anything else work better?grinding it was a pain, and the little spot I cleared off took awhile.

6. If it's really a dead animal smell - Good Luck. Years ago I bought a Chrysler product at an insurance auction. The trunk had housed a dead body for 2 weeks. We never could rid the car of the smell. Even called in a company that specialized in professional removal of odors like this and they couldn't do it. They gave up and didn't charge us.
    They said it just permeates the metal and only chemical dipping of the body would totally rid the car of the smell. Not trying to bum you out, just my experiance.

7. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Hey Pipes,
    I wonder if washing the area with vinegar,then a baking soda wash would neutralize the odor-causing germs? That'd change the ph/germ count of the affected material a bunch?
    Good luck!

8. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

I second the pet store enzymes. They work well.
    Now if someone could tell me why my screwdriver drawers in my toolbox reek like puke I would appreciate it. I swear I have done some serious garage drinkin' but have never puked in my tool chest!!! :eek:

9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Third on the pet store enzymes.

Time to que up "That smell" by Lynyrd Skynyrd!

10. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

My old boss restored a split window Stingray for this guy, and the smell was nauseating. When asked where he found the car (it was ratty)... the guy calmly said he located it a quarter mile into a swampy area in the backwoods of Louisiana. It had been sitting for two years... with the original owner inside of it.

Shot himself in the head.

Needless to say my boss was pissed that fact wasn't brought up from the get go, and NOTHING got rid of that smell. I had the pleasure of riding in that car to lunch wondering what that smell was, when he finally told me. Sick bastard thought it was hilarious lol.... with friends like these....

I still ate every bite of my lunch though. I've been through worse. :D

Oh yeah... the smell got worse in the summer... heat seemed to reactivate it.

11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

The last place I work had drawers that smelled the same. Finally figured out it was the Spongy material used for liners in them that started to deteriorate causing the putrid odor

12. INTRUDER

INTRUDER
    from NW Indiana

Fill a spray bottle with white vinegar.
    Get a big bag of kitty litter 50lb
    2or 3 or more big Sunday papers

Open all the doors and windows using a leaf blower blow EVERYTHING out.
    Take everything out that is not nailed down.
    Spray the whole car with vinegar.
    lay newspaper down all over
    lay the kitty litter bag down and slice it open with a big X. Expose as much surface as you can. Better yet just spread it all over the newspaper.
    Cover the car with plastic traps to seal it from the outside.
    Wait a week and clean out the car.
    The acid in the vinegar neutralizes the stink and the paper and the kitty litter absorb it.
    You might have to do this twice , the total cost for this is about $15.00.

I'm in the restaurant business. I buy a lot of used equipment. When they close up shop, most folks just lock the doors and run. Leaving behind all the old food in the walk in coolers, then the electric company shuts the power --add a few weeks to the equation and D*MN does it stink. This method works very well. Good luck

13. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Great,
    Mine smell too & I do have that spongy liner, let's say I did have it, gonna trash it tonight.
    Thanks.

14. hipkatgreaser

hipkatgreaser

Try aircraft paint remover from the local parts store and then sandblast it off. That's what I used to get speediliner off some grillguards some kid I worked with didn't prep em right when he shot with the speediliner. You'll have to let the paint remover set for a bit but it'll take that crap off

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  15. BELLM

BELLM

First remove the dead cow from the car. Sorry!!
    I bought ca car once that had rotten egg smell, really rotten eggs, bag of household food trash sat in the back floorboard for a few years. Cleaned every way imagianable, finally scuffed it up, sealed, primed and painted floors. Smell never came back.

You gotta scrape that undercoating out of the '50. Get a heat gun, or really good hairdryer, heat & scrape at the same time, Definitely not a fun job, it is a tar-like substance. Some people heat it lightly with a torch but heat gun is easier, safer, less smelly. Mine had it sprayed into the wheelwells, between the wheelwell & the quarter panel. Never got all that out.

As far as smelly screwdriver drawers, every toolbox I have ever owned that had Craftsman screwdrivers in it had that same smell. I hate smelly drawers!!

16. 73RR

73RR

I have had good luck with products used by commercial cleaning companies for neutralizing odors. Might the the same thing as the pet spray stuff. Just another place to look.

17. Abone29

Abone29

What Petejoe told you will probably work.Years ago I had a 56 Chevy that had been home to a bunch of cats.If you've ever smelled years of cat piss you can imagine what that smells like.I stripped out the interior and washed it with vinegar.sprayed it with lemon juice ,tried the baking soda trick,and washed it with soap and water.Nothing worked till I went to the pet store and bought this spray that removes pet odors.It got rid of most of the smell right away,but I still had to air it out for a while.

18. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

wow, thanks for all the tips! didnt see anything dead in it.. but there were some droppings.. smells more like dog shit then dead bodies.. will give the pet stuff and the armour hammer both a try! then go from there.
    Thanks again!

19. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

heres a tip I use in all my cars to keep smells out. Buy a bar of Irish Spring soap. Open the box and place it under your car seat. About every month pull the bar out and scrape a little of it off and put it back under the seat in the box. You will be very surprised how good this does to keep you car smelling like new. Lasts for years.

20. Pet store enzymes gets another vote...good luck

21. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

all the fabric will have to be replaced and an enzyme spray applied. that rubber shit will come off in large hard chunks if you freeze it with dry ice and whack the opposing side of sheet metal witha rubber mallet, or deadblow hammer

22. BlackCherryImpala

BlackCherryImpala
    from Girard, KS

I wonder what that Plymouth Fury smelled like that had been underground the streets of Tulsa for 50 years in a soup of rainwater, rust, Schlitz Beer, etc. Forgive me for saying this, but Boyd Coddington was there after all, and he has since passed on. Evil microbes could have been lurking in the Plymouth just like King Tut's tomb. TIC. Seriously, rest in peace Boyd.
    BlackCherry

23. go to ur local hardware store & look for some Concentrated Germicidal Cleaner. i had over a foot of Rat Shitt in my bus when i got it. i even left the bus outside for 2yrs b4 bringing it into my garage, i tried several products & nothing would get rid of the FUNK untill i used that stuff. with one good soaking of this stuff the smell was gone forever, best part is this stuff will kill all those bad bugs & viruses that can harm or kill u .....joe

24. jmccall

jmccall
    from Florida

Are they clear plastic handled screwdrivers? I have a few clear handle screwdrivers that smell funky. When I was in wood shop (not long ago) all of the safety glasses smelled similar to puke. I brought my own glasses. I think it has something to do with the type of clear plastic/plexiglass/lexan that is used.

25. Miles

Miles
    from Western MA

The pet enzyme is called "Nature's Miracle". Good stuff.

26. Good luck with the smell.
    LOL
    Speaking of smells, sniff your tape measure DO IT!

27. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

those would be 1970's craftsmen color coded drivers? mine smell funky too. i kinda like the smell, it reminds me of being a kid and taking appliances apart.

28. iamspencer

iamspencer

if theres no interioer in it, start a moderte sized fire using newspaper and kep pit burnign fo ra few minutes

29. Weasel

Weasel

Sounds like that's the smell of vintage bullshit to me - you sure that cow wasn't male?:D

30. After the pet store "Nature's Miracle",try slicing open a bag of charcoal briquets and leave it till they have absorbed the remaining smells.;)