Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1941 Nash hotrod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dynaflash_8, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Again, thanks alot guys! Its great to get some kudos from people that are older and more experianced than me! As for the X-box, hell i dont even know were its at anymore. Video games are more expensice than old cars anyway.

I started on my headers yesterday. I bout an old set of Mr. Gasket headers at a swapmeet for $5, and i cut the flanges off them. Then i cut the pipes into thier individual bends. From there, i ran them all tword the center of the block, into 2 collectors. They will be a 4 into 2 header, with 2 - 2 inch runners running into the fenderwell, and exiting under the front fender. Im making 2 into 1 collectors right now, and ill post op some pictures later on.

Cheers!

2. dv8

dv8

Wow! I love threads like this! You've really made something out of nothing, and should be proud of your progress.

3. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

The tank is from a mid 70s chevy nova.
    First, i took a piece of 3x1 box tubing, and cut it to the width of the frame. Then i got it level, and tacked it in place. Taking 2 pieces of 4x1/8 strap, i heated em and bent em to fit.
    Everything tacked in

[​IMG]

Made sure it was kosher, and welded it up.

[​IMG]

Then i cut 2 2 inch straps of 16 gauge for the hold down straps. I welded em at one end, and drilled a 3/8s hole in the other. I then used 3/8ths bolts to hold everthing tighter than a nun. And there you have it! Now i just gotta shorten the filler neck, and its good!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  4. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

I forgot to add the rubber strips on the hold down straps, but they're coming.

5. the b.c.b.

the b.c.b.

What kind of weird kid would build a nash? Must have greasy hair and listen to weird old music and like weird old movies and stuff. And like I bet you hang out with other greasy weird-o's ;)

6. lo-buk

lo-buk
    from kcmo

Great to see someone else building a nash. I have a 50 nash statesman on an 80 malibu wagon chassis with a 455 pontiac/turbo 400 trans. It has been on the road for 8 years. Dare to be differant, good work...

7. BCR

BCR

I love the rear fenders. Too cool. Nice work.

8. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Well ill be a son of a bitch! How you been kevin?

9. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Nice build.Whatever you do.Dont Cut and weld on that filler tube.

You will have a serious accident if you do.

10. outlaw256

outlaw256

damn son, i sure wish you lived around here, i have a shop that we build old school hotrods and custom bikes from bobbers to choppers to 32 fords. and id hire you in a heartbeat.hell, i could just stay in the house and turn you loose.GREAT WORK. AND I WANT TO SEE A BIRTH CERTIFICATE.!!! KEN

11. I think that's way fucking cool. You can weld at 17 ( I can't at 43 ). And you took two lumps of shit and made something interesting. What do your friends drive, Hondas?

12. Nelly

Nelly

Great work!
    I like your style - use a backhoe to flip the car over to remove the rear end, or pull the engine :D

13. shpotty

shpotty
    from New Jersey

Very impressive work and a very cool car.

14. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Are you gonna hinge those rear fender so they fold up and out of the way to change a flat? You've done a fine piece of work there on one of the orphans that hardly any cares to use. COngratulations, it will be appreciated.

15. I like what you are doing and I like your car. The rear fenders give it class. Changing a flat rear tire might be challenging but from what I've seen you'll figure it out.

Keep up the good work and the pictures flowing.

Bill

16. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

WOW, you are one talented young man, keep doin what you are doin and you will make it in the hot rod world. you have taken us back to the days when you couldnt buy everything and had to make it, unreal...Im an old graybeard who owns a hot rod shop and does big buck cars and you are showing me how i did it yrs ago, thanks and man love that NASH :cool:

17. custom50

custom50
    from Indiana

You are really doing a good job, too bad your dad couldn’t get involved with you building the car. If I had a son I sure would want to be involved, you will be able to say you did it yourself and be proud. When I first looked at your pictures and the price $125, I thought too much for me.

18. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Spewing I missed this thread earlier! Mate awesome work!
    First time I saw the pic of your car I thought it would make a cool sled, chop it next, lay it low in the back. A Caddy grille would look nice in there....
    Doc.

19. Labold

Labold

Your doing a great job! I like it that you are young and into these type of cars. You are a hard workin sum bitch that's for sure!

20. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Swept the shop up yesterday, and decided to take some pics of the car. Got the fenders mounted up, and the headers somewhat finished. Now all im waitin on is a paycheck to buy the stuff i need. ( brake lines, front brakes, drive shaft, fuel line, wiring, headlights, ect. )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

i think you should drop the rear a couple inches.(like 5-6 inches) Just my opinion.

22. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Actually, it'll end up going up farther. I wanted a real nasy rake on this car. IF you look, the front of the frame is z'd bout 9 inches. The rear is also about as high as i could do without re-archin springs. Its got air shocks that'll add another one to 2 inches of height.

23. Elvisaurusrex

Elvisaurusrex

Dude, that thing is sick. Good luck with it..

24. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where's the white 5 point staff car star? Maybe some serial No's :D.
    Seriously though, you going to chop it?
    Doc.

25. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Not at this moment, no. I love the lines on the car as it is.

You makin fun of my Rustolium paintjob? :cool: It'll have 28 painted on the doors in cream, outlined in black. On the truck it'll say " the spinach monster" the quarters will say " Marty's Speed n Salvage ". Its basically being built as an early shine car/dirt track car. Deffinatly not period correct, but at its heart it will be.

26. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Aww well, its still a bitchin first build.
    Doc.

27. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Thanks man

28. the b.c.b.

the b.c.b.

Well, considering I'm overworked and underpaid I suppose I can say I live. Sold the buick finally.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  29. SlickT

SlickT
    from Tn
    1. A-D Truckers
    2. Inline motors

30. So, if you're going for the old dirt track racer look, I would radius the rear fenders. I think the car would look great as either a tail dragger, or a dirt racer. Tail dragger = leave the fenders. Dirt racer = radius them. Run some simple steel wheels, no caps, and bias plys. Then build a rear push bumper and some nerf bars and you'd have a kick ass looking dirt racer for the street.