Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pic request....Rare SBC speed equipment.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SinisterCustom, Aug 29, 2008.

1. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

2. super plus

super plus
    BANNED

:rolleyes:

3. RacerRick

RacerRick

I saw one of thes on a vette not at a car show a few weeks ago. The owners response was "Yeah, take off a finiky, leaky fuel injection system and replaced it with a finiky, leaky bunch of carbs!"

4. Louie

Louie
    from NJ

couple more,Nicson 3x2 for SBC, Weiand and Man a fre 4x2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. zzford

zzford

Only from the "traditional" nazi's.

6. Louie

Louie
    from NJ

anybody ever seen any Edmunds stuff for a small block?

7. Ratty55

Ratty55
    from Frohna,MO

I'm not sure how rare they are, but this is my setup. Early Stagger pattern Offenhauser valve covers and matching 2x4 w/ wcfb's :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

On a some what later note ... I have two sets of these ZZ430 engines ... complete. General Motors only made 430 engines like these :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have #216 in my 32 3W ... and # 430 ( the last one of the series made :) ) in my 32 roadster. 430 Horsepower, 430 pounds of torque and only 430 ever made ... ZZ430 .

Some folks here may not consider them HAMB friendly ... like a old Hemi, Olds or flathead ... but the ZZ430 will put a smile on your face when your right foot mashes the gas pedal.

9. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

bout the rarest thing i got for my SBC is an old factory GM aluminum explosion proof bellhousing. Guy said he got it for his drag car to save weight. I gave $50 for it with a clutch and flywheel.

10. 31modelo

31modelo

Weasel I read an article in one of the mags some years ago on this engine. I think you won on rarity. Tell the story on how you got this Gem.

Attached Files:

11. 1929rats

1929rats

1).Polished mickey thompson cross ram on my 301
    2).creitz and donovan dual quad intake I sold to a fella here on the hamb
    3). Ridge runner manifold (original "tunnel ram") spotted on a 34 at the Tyrods old timers show this September 2008.

Attached Files:

• 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      File size:
      36.5 KB
      Views:
    • 023.jpg
      023.jpg
      File size:
      17.2 KB
      Views:
    • 031.jpg
      031.jpg
      File size:
      111.3 KB
      Views:
    • 032.jpg
      032.jpg
      File size:
      102.6 KB
      Views:
  12. 1929rats

1929rats

"i dunno wat this is but looks cool, any one know anything about this?"

A- these were also called "convertible manifolds" because you could take the top part off from one 4 brl and put the other top on sporting two 4brls set up in a cross ram fashion. I want to say these were first introduced via smokey yunick (as above mentioned) in '69 for use on the 302 chevrolet camaro. I know that edelbrock re-popped them as stated, but, I believe Offy did as well. Ive never owned or ran one so I have no idea how they are tuned/performance/reliability, but they are cool. thanks for posting those pics. ------ PS: The ones with the winters casting are RARE and big money!!!!!!

13. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I like that first one ya posted Deuce.....is that a Hamber's car?
    Looks like a lost twin.....

[​IMG]

14. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

No, never. I don't believe it to exist. As near as I can tell, Fenton bought out Edmunds in 1955 or '56, so I doubt he ever tooled up for the new Chevy V8.

15. Stone

Stone

Some great stuff in this thread.

16. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

My bro-in-law ("Flaw'd" on the HAMB) has a real oddball SBC intake that mounts two of them weird Carter side-draft carbs used on the old Corvette 'Blue Flame' six-bangers. The funny thing is, it mounts the carbs so that you couldn't possibly run a rear-mounted distributor! The other thing is...they used THREE of them carbs on a 235 cid SIX CYLINDER...and this manifold only allows for TWO of them...on a V8?!

17. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

I had one of those on my deuce pickup a few years ago - works real good around 7000RPM! I think the y were called SR1's or something like that apparently for Smokey Ram . (Yunick) I have a "Speed-Jems" dual quad intake for a SBC. Anyone ever heard of those? It has a picture of a Genie and the words Speed Jems cast into it.

oops! Shoulda read all the way to the end before posting this.

18. Southfork

Southfork

I was pokin about in a back-country boneyard this week and lifted the hood on an early '50's pickup parked there. Under the hood was a dual quad 327(?) engine (intake manifold unknown) with deep-finned aluminum valve covers on double humper heads. The round air cleaners on the quad carbs were configured to meet each other in a unique way --When seen from above, the circle of the rear air cleaner intersects the circle or the front air cleaner so together they looked like the intersecting circles on a Mastercard credit card. I'll have too try to get a picture to post. This speed equipment may or may not be rare, but it sure looked cool, and I haven't seen dual quads on SBCs very often.

19. i started to buy this...but still am undecided on one of my sbc's or a hemi for the topolino..let me know if pic doesnt show...some haven't lately...........:confused:[​IMG]

20. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

That's from a sbc powered boat.

21. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

WHoa.....that's cool Kiwi Kev!

Was at a freinds place earlier this week and he's got a SBC Smokey Yunick Crossram....these have removable tops for different carb variations. This one has the staggered 2x4 top. Really neat piece.

22. hipkatgreaser

hipkatgreaser

Looks like the Smokey Yunik Cross Ram intake for the 302. I had a chance to buy one for 75 bucks but was a day late and a dollar short. Does it have the smokey stamp on it.

23. banjorear

banjorear

Those air cleaners are cool and were made by Stellings.

24. Weasel

Weasel

The full skinny on the Weslake Chevy is in the May 1974 Hot Rod Magazine, as well as a memorable cover shot.

Briefly (well kinda) this is a 32 valve 'twisted hemi' aluminum cylinder head conversion for the SBC with pushrod activated shaft mounted 'Y' shaped rocker arms. The cylinder head was developed by Harry Weslake at Weslake Engineering (there is NO letter 'T':( in W-E-S-L-A-K-E - pet peeve) in England at the request of Chevrolet - notably Chevrolet's Vince Piggins - for the stock block Indy Car category. This was to be mounted on the Z28 302 DZ block, to keep just below the 5 litre limit. The plan was to make 100 pairs of heads and market them through Yenko at $2800 (I have a photo copy of the Yenko pre release sales brochure). In reality only ten pairs of heads were made, as the rules changed for stock block and invalidated the original reason for developing the conversion. Of these heads four were destroyed in testing. Three engines were built - one went to Racer Brown, one to Vels Parnelli and the third remained in Great Britain. Bruce Crower bought a pair of heads but never used them.

The Racer Brown and Vels Parnelli engines are in Speedy Bill's Museum. I tracked the remaining engine down, which had been built for Formula 5000 by Alan Smith - Britain's leading SBC race engine builder, and found that it had been sitting for years in Scotland. The engine is N.O.S. and came complete with single seater Formula 5000 type ignition - a 90 degree angled Vertex Ronco Mag, dry sump and needle roller bearing slide injection. It also came with an extra pair of partially machined heads and one extra valve cover.

Even rarer than this are the BBC Weslake heads, of which they made only two sets, I believe. I had one of these engines, based on a ZL1 block, from a Surtees Lola T160 Can Am car for a short while (B&W photo attachments below), but I was too stupid to know what I had at the time :eek: (story of my life) and sold it in the 1980s.

Attached Files:

25. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Boat stuff seen a couple before

26. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

yup looks like one, just what i need for my 301 instead of the old c4b

Anyone got a spare, i'll even tell everyone how well they work

27. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

At puyallup last year there was a set of Howard alum heads with a MASSIVE port job

The guy wanted a grand and there was no space for an exhaust flage to seal cuz of the porting

28. OK, of those are what real Keystone valve covers look like, then what are these?
    [​IMG]

29. showrod

showrod

a pair of sbc covers by Von Esser

[​IMG]