Register now to get rid of these ads!

they don't call it the "Mild-Custom Spectacular", do they?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ray, Jul 25, 2007.

1. ray

ray
    from colorado

how i spent the last week:

sunday the 15th, i went to do some bodywork on my car, finish the fenders, rocker panels and rear wheel openings, etc. to get ready for this weeks trip to salina for the leadsled spectacular. i look at the car for ten minutes, then tell myself, it's the Leadsled spectacular, not the mild custom spectacular! gotta chop that muthafucker!:D an hour later the glass was stripped and the top was down about 4". by the end of the day i had it all tacked together, first pics of the chop would have been monday or tuesday.

here it is sunday morning:

[​IMG]

tacked into place:

[​IMG]

rolled outside for the first time, much better!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rear tulip panel tacked into place. i did something a bit different here, i wanted to use stock stainless beltline trim, but not lay the rear window down. the way things lined up, the decklid was about an inch higher than the beltline at the window, no good. i cut the body next to the trunk lip all the way back to the taillights, and dropped it down an inch. it now flows nicely, now the decklid is parallel to the tops of the rear quarter panels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the last of these pics were taken saturday, no new pics, but all the filler pieces are in, unfortunately i couldn't get new glass here on such short notice, so i'm running lexan windows for the time being.:eek: ratrodarriffic! :D

you may notice a piece of scrap lexan i c-clamped into place for a few days, i just HAD to drive it while working on it!

2. Durod

Durod
    from DFW, Tx

I like what I see....chop looks good and your p/u looks real tasty, too.

3. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

Loks good so far good luck on getting it finished up in time and nice molester van in the back ground.

4. leadsled01

leadsled01

Damn-it thats at least a years work for me. You rock!

5. brewsir

brewsir

damn Ray that rocks! but the stock roofline is so nice on those cars ...all they really need is a mild lowering and some nice paint....hahaahaa fuck that,I'm glad to see someone step up and cut the hell outta something! I like the trunk area too...nice solution. How much chop on the truck?

6. newstranger

newstranger

I dig shoebox Ford tail lights on '49-'52 Chevys... and the chop is looking proper as well. Chopped sedans generally look WAY better than coupes... more pics please!

-ns

7. ray

ray
    from colorado

i can't claim the truck, wish i could call it mine! it belongs to gilbert, radshit's friend. they both drove up from albuquerque for a small colorado show and stayed at my place.

the van though, yeah, that's my parts hauler! my girlfriend won't let me paint "free candy" on the side.:confused:

brewsir, i THOUGHT i liked the stock roofline! i kept telling myself, Watsons grapevine looks sooo good with a stock roof...then like you said, FUCK THAT!:D once you go whacked, you never go back.

i'm heading out to the shop shortly to do some mud work on it, i'll have some updated pics this evening.

8. Slide

Slide

What's the plan for the b-pillars? Slant 'em? Trash 'em?

Looks pretty cool so far! Do you have any pics from a more front view?

I like the taillight treatment, and the wheels/tires/stance are a great combo.

9. ray

ray
    from colorado

it's now a hardtop!

i was just noticing i had posted no front pics...

[​IMG]

10. chopt49

chopt49

oh yeah....looks great!

keep us posted.

11. BadLuck

BadLuck

Chopped in one night....why cant I have you for a neighbor?!?...Ray that Chevy is bad ass...like the tail lights also...keep the pics coming....

12. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Thats a really cool chop...nice proportions..

13. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Looks GREAT! Can't wait to check it out in person in a couple of weeks.

14. brewsir

brewsir

nice headlights too! Damnit I need to retire so I can move back out there....I like to play like that!!!

15. Fuck yes....dramatic difference!

I like the lexan pirate-patch...roll it to the show like that and next year you'll see 10 cars with the same look.

Bryan

16. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Chop top looks great!! You took the right amount off of the top.
    Good luck with the drive to Salina and I'll see ya this weekend.

Happy Trails,

Mick

17. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Weendows...we don' need no steenkin' weendows...looks good Ray, we're leaving Thrusday morn about 7...you can catch up in Limon...

R-

18. That looks really good. I think most chop's would look better with the back window remaining upright.

19. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

nice lookin chop!
    what is the plan for side windows?

20. Nothing to say, except that I really like it. Just posting to subscribe to this thread. I'll be watching this one to completion, man. You have a good eye for proportion.

21. poorboy

poorboy

old thread, whatever happened to this car

22. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

how do yo plan to handle the back window????? or do they make laminated glass for it?

23. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

24. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

wow lookin good.. glad he kept working on it!

25. ray

ray
    from colorado

i'm veeeery slowly working on side glass, i made some brass channel that i still need to make into frames, it'll have slide in rear quarter glass. just too many projects, and it's my daily driver. right now i have some half-assed lexan side windows to keep the weather out.

thanks!

yes, laminated glass is available. i bought one, and broke one so far. FWIW the tile saw method doesn't work on the new repop glass.:D it worked fine on old glass though. this winter i'll probably sandblast one.

yup, there it is. i let the LBCC board have the scoop on this one, and never got around to posting the updates here. i banged the body out a little better than it was the week before this years leadsled spectacular, and slapped some tinted primer on it. snapped these pics in Salina.

26. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

Ray,the car looks great!.Just remember one thing,it does not matter if your car was mild or wild.We at KKOA don't look to see how it was done.Granted,most cars that attend our events are chopped or radical,and thats ok,but if you had went to Salina with a mild custom,believe me,thats just as Kool too.I've attended Gettysburg's "Sled Scene East" for years with my " MILD" 51 Chevy HT,and for a few years with a bone stock original interior.So mild or wild,a Kustom is still a Kustom.Joe Manna,Central NJ State Colonel.

27. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

i really like you choice of rims and tires... sets off the car spectacularly!

28. Gerg

Gerg

kick ass job on that job looks like it should have been made that way in the first place

29. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Man O Man! Those shoe box tail lights look killer in that car. You've done a very great job on that car, thanks for the post and pictures.

30. ratster

ratster

looks cool Ray