Register now to get rid of these ads!

airspeed indicator anyone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dsiddons, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

That does it...I'm gonna build a period correct analog Tom-Tom out of a surplus mechanical gear Ford Instrument Co fire control computer from an Iowa-class battleship, fed by optics and atmospheric sensors contained in a complete fire control director turret straight from the same ship. I'll need to hire on a Midshipman to handle observing and inputting the Celestial data needed, but that's the cost of state-of-the art 1942...
    Anybody have the phone number for the Mechanicsburg Naval Supply Depot?? Gotta find date for next surplus sale.

2. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

post pictures!!:D I have a narco ADF that woud look right from that era,but not sure how well it would work on the ground.

3. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

The best response of the year by far!

4. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

5. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

A buddy of mine had one in his Camaro in college. I am not sure what was more fun, the gage on the dash or the pitot tube sticking out of the grill. :)

He also claimed to use it to find the "sweet spot" when drafting off the 18 wheelers for better mileage.

6. ratstar

ratstar

People claim an aircraft gage isnt traditional? I'm almost certain that no one from the early 60's or previous didnt have a GPS.

7. CheaterRome

CheaterRome
    from URANUS

HAHAH that's so rad. Make sure the car's got a rumble seat though... all that equipment Where is he going to sit?

Make sure that you get those gauges from the USS Eldrige though. The car is going to be so badass it's going to have to be stealth.

Rome

8. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I think the poseur comment was reserved for the car gauges that are so desperately trying to look like aircraft gauges ( and all fall short, IMO.)

C'mon Kevin, it CAN'T be any worse than having a car that looks like it crashed through the window of a Halloween store. At least it's mechanical and functional! :D

Hey Jerome, I missed you at the Pileup. Ran into Carl though and he told me what was up.

9. CheaterRome

CheaterRome
    from URANUS

Root canals are rad.

One effing cavity in my whole mouth since I was 11 and it decides to go to the next surrounding tooth.

Hey Chad I saw... (which is to say I seen) the photo of you standing next to "Sweetie Face" the p-51...dude I painted that guy's jacket, he was stoked and a nice dude.

The fellas from Liberty Bell foundation contacted me and want me to do some more crew jackets for them.,,,b-17 rides in the future.

Good job to you and your whole crew on the pileup.

.....Halloween rods are ol skool though, no it's true i heard it somewhere.

Rome

10. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That sucks man. And of all days too!!

Oh, over on the vintage leather jacket forum? That's cool. Sean took that shot at Thunder Over Michigan with my camera and it gives me chills.

Wow that's cool. I bought a cheapie Avirex and I think I'm going to paint something on the back. I think if we have a girl, I'm going to paint her name on it, with the number of bombs representing the day she was born. So today is the 14th, and everyday I will have to paint another bomb. Hahaha! :D

I got another nose art gig in the works too. I'm hopeful it pans out.

11. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Ha, I am so guilty of thinking about this!

To the decoration points; Too many people only use their factory speedo for decoration. What's one more? Besides, I think we've all had a bad speedo and we took every chance we got to look in the window of a late model Caddy in the next lane to see what the digital speedo said. Then we just remember our reference point.

12. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I have some of the real deal ones, and they actually work, the classic instruments ones looked pretty good, the oil pressure and speedo looked realistic,but the bezels which are sold as a different part,didn't. I think if the gauges were used with better looking bezels, they would look a lot better.

13. f6fhellcat00

f6fhellcat00

Its not a decoration stupids!! Just because it was ment for one thing don't mean you cant use it for another. It works off of air pressure. stick youre fucking head out of your window at 60 mph and see if wants to fly off your neck:confused:. Tail wind head wind dont matter because air planes would be fucked too.

14. 3Mike6

3Mike6

Dude, try a little de-caf.

15. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

The instruments I would want are:
    1. A G meter to see how many G's I pull getting off the line.
    2. I would want an inclinometer (sp) to know how much the car is leaning when I go around a curve, and if I am going to make it a standard rate turn of 2 minutes.
    3. A suction gauge with the tube up my butt, to see how much my butt puckers at times.
    4. A compass for sure. (I've been known to be lost)
    5. A storm scope, so I could see how far ahead the thunderstorms are and I could avoid them.
    6. A collision avoidance system (speaks for itself)
    7. A ELT, just in case the #6 fails me.
    8. A flashlight with 2 "D" cell batteries for night driving.

I've already got the helmet, gauntlets, coat and scarf.

Switches on, CONTACT!!!:D

HellRaiser

16. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Ahh, someone doesn't understand airspeed vs groundspeed. :D

An airspeed indicator will only measure your speed through the air MASS. If you are using an airspeed indicator on the ground, it will still do this as accurately as the instrument and installation allow. However, if you have a tailwind of 20 mph and drive at 40 mph on your car speedometer, the airspeed indicator will only indicate 20 mph because that's how fast you're moving through the air mass.

What's different about an airspeed indicator in an aircraft is you don't fly by groundspeed, you fly by airspeed - it's what your wing knows. So let's say an airplane has a takeoff speed of 100 mph and you have the same 20 mph tailwind. You will have to reach 120 mph groundspeed to equal 100 mph airspeed and takeoff. The wing doesn't care about groundspeed.

Let's not get into compressibility, temperature, true air speed, or smoe factor! :D

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

and yeah... dude... what's with the name calling?

18. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Hey Ernie, Remember if you can't confuse them with facts, you'll just have to baffle them with B/S. Some of the ground pounders just won't get it.

HellRaiser

19. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

..............or the bonzer?

20. f6fhellcat00

f6fhellcat00

Don,t flatter your self. Its funney that my buddy has one on his car, we tested the two against each other and ther was a give or take fine mph diffrence. Not all ASI reed in knots some read in mph.

21. f6fhellcat00

f6fhellcat00

The cool thing abought it is you can tell when youre drafting the car in front of you;).

22. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Go do the test again in a strong wind (head or tail) and see how accurate they are...

23. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

OK, I got my director turret and gear type fire control computer for only $12.00 from the surplus property clerk at Mechanicsburg!! That's the good news.
    The bad news...I forgot the turret has 16" of armor, as it is part of the main battery on the blasted battleship; delivery by specially constructed trailer is going to be one million six hundred thou, AND we are still awaiting the bill for the engineering studies on the bridges over the Delaware.
    HAMB relay??

24. CheaterRome

CheaterRome
    from URANUS

Just get the USS Eldridge to teleport it over...Duh.

16" of armor???
    Wow... I thought a King Tiger frontal turret plate was heavy duty.

Battleships are Ol Skool, just put some spider webs and skulls on it and paint it flat black.

Here to help.
    Jerome

25. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

Go for it! Its a cool idea in my eyes. I got a ASI gauge thats from the '50s that reads in mph and a WWII era kollsman pitot tube. To be more accurate you will want to route the pitot line and the static line (p & s) in the best route with minimum resistance. Havent got a exact location for mine yet....least resistance....more accurate.

**food for thought** I plan on taking -4 (1/4'' OD tube flared as thats whats required for mine) and hooking up to the gauge and using my buddy to drive truck while i hold the assembly out the window and i check speedometer vs ASI to see how much the difference is. sounds pretty redneck but its the only way to test without knowing how much air psi to put across it in a bench test setting.

ebay is a good place to look.....dont buy a used pitot static tube if you can help it. pm me if you need any help or ideas

26. Airspeed indicator would be sick. Don't think the rego office would listen to it down here tho:D

Accurate from 40mph onwards. They struggle to read accurate at lower speeds.

27. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm just hoping a few more people pop up on this old thread to use the word "pitot". It's like name dropping for airplane parts. :)

I still say using an air speed indicator on a car is goofy.

28. DUDE.... your are flying way too much.
    The next thing you will want to do is install an FMS, EICAS, and do CMC downloads on the PFD CRT screen from your drivers seat.
    Your license plate will read N852 Sierra Papa

29. 5window

5window

X2. Makes no more sense than putting a ground driven speedometer in an airplane. This is an old thread that should have died 2 years ago.

30. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

It don't work. Accurate only in no-wind situations. Looks? Goofy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.