Register now to get rid of these ads!

fuel pump on Model A four banger Need Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old skool, Oct 14, 2008.

1. old skool

old skool
    from VA

I am "hopping up" a model A engine. I added a home made lake style header with a holley carb. I have seen many photos on the HAMB of four banger motors. I noticed almost all of them did not have a fuel pump. Does it operate better without a fuel pump? Is one really needed? Would it perform better with one? I have a low pressure pump. Did not want to put it in unless I needed too. Could use some help from someone who has worked on one. I need some feed back.

Thanks for your time.

Marty

2. a model A engine does not have a mechanical fuel pump , it was gravity feed from the cowl mounted fuel tank....so i assume you are talking about an electric?

FYI , ford added a boss for a mechanical fuel pump on 4 cylinders in 1932

3. old skool

old skool
    from VA

Hello,

Yes, I am talking about a electric.

4. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Most likely you will need a fuel pump for the following reasons. 1 The stock A had a up draft carb that was mounted quite aways below the fuel tank and WAS designed to be gravity fed. 2 The carb you now are using is mounted much higher and was designed to be fed under pressure. Basic problem is you will not have enough gravity head [pressure] to give the carb enough fuel.
    I know some people have got away with no pump so try it that way first. It works OK great ,if not add the pump. Might be fine with a full tank of fuel and as level drops starts running poorly.

5. Speedsterinc

Speedsterinc

DITTO.. You will need a pump. Been there done that

6. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I ran mine with no pump for a good 1000 miles but I would run out of gas up big hills I would have to get gas every ride pain in the ass. I put a pump in 2 weeks ago.

7. Wildfire

Wildfire

I've heard of putting the pump down low, running a line on to it inside the the firewall and back up and out the original exit so it looks stock on the engine side. Holley 94s only need a few pounds of pressure if what I've read is accurate - put a regulator on it.

8. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

I had a elec pump failure with my AV8, so I by-passed the pump and went gravity feed to get home. The next day I put the lawn mower gas can in the rumble and went for a long ride. Ran that puppy right down to the last drop. Added the lawn mower gas and drove to a gas station. I ran it like that for the rest of the season. It would run out of gas on a long climb, but if I got out of the throttle, it would recover. I replaced the elec pump that winter, but to this day, I carry that piece of by-pass hose just in case. OH yeah, I run 2X2's on a Thickstun hi-rise.

9. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

I'm guessing that you simply couldn't see the fuel pumps, rather than them not having one.

I run two bangers and have tried both with gravity feed, one with a Weber 32/36 progressive and one with a 94 (later changed to a 97). Neither ran very well, to be honest, and on hills you can forget it. I have my fuel pumps inside the chassis rail, underneath the passenger's feet. It's fairly close to the silencer but I've made a little ali heat shield that goes around the pump, though I'm not sure it needs it.
    Just run a fuel line from the original point on the bulkhead, down to the pump - always use a filter - and then back up to the carb.

10. old skool

old skool
    from VA

Hello,

Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful. I just wanted to do it right the first time. I have a low pressure electric fuel pump ready to go. I will put it in tomorrow. If you have anymore suggestions, I would like to hear them!

Thanks for your time everyone!

Marty

11. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I would like to see where you mount the pump and run the lines..

12. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

(I noticed almost all of them did not have a fuel pump.)
    most guys cant find mine :>

13. Tedders

Tedders

Any pics of running it in the frame and out of the firewall in stock location?

14. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We put a low volume 6 volt Carter (positive ground) electric pump on the 31. Mounted it under the cab plus a fuel regulator and then ran the line up and out through the original glass gravity filter system, then to a fuel block and then to the two 97s. Works perfect. Makes everyone that sees it THINK you can run dual 97s on gravity (but you can not)!
    20141213_120621.jpeg

CGkidd, mike bowling and Model T1 like this.
  15. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

in the old days, grandpa would back his model a up a hill if he was low on gas. also, a lot of hot rodders would pressurize the fuel tank with a manual pump.

16. mike bowling

mike bowling

where'd you get the pump? I've got the same thing to set up- good info!

17. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. mike bowling

mike bowling

Thanks- I'll check it out tommoro. I'm glad there's so many Banger enthusiasts on here; there's a ton of good info.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  19. Harold's Speed

Harold's Speed

I am assuming the fuel pump is mounted to the right frame rail under the front floor, correct? I had thought of doing this but wondered if I would have any problems due to the heat from the muffler. Is this your setup and wondering if you have had any heat related issues? thanks