Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Magnets thoughts on Pileup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by magnet, Oct 12, 2008.

1. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

I'm thinking about bringing our son next year, he'll be 3. He's easily entertained by sitting next to Plowboy and watching him drink beer.

2. Glenn thanks for everything for sure

I have all of the sponsor packets and will mail them out end of this week/beginning of next week

Thanks!

3. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

You just described most of the guys on the board too. :D

I saw the Space Truck, but was disappointed not to see the Atomic Punk...

Has it started its world tour already?

4. First of all, there was ONE lady there. And she was really rude to us. Sorry I called her a bitch, I may have been a little harsh, but I don't take it back. She certainly was not nice to us and could have been more tactful when we approached her. Not sure this was even the same person/s we are talking about. Bottom line, the person who parked the car there was inconsiderate of others to leave just enough room between them and a tree so they don't have neighbors, the lady was rude to us when all we did was ask her who owned the car. She knew there was a problem as did the guy who parked it there. Next year I will let everyone with 7 or 8 feet on each side of them park that way so we don't have this issue.

I had a really cool kid come up to my Lincoln when we were leaving. He had to be 9 or 10 years old and his bud was with him. He said cool '57 Lincoln. I was floored that he knew what it was and the year. He had a '57 Plymouth on his shirt. I said nice shirt and he replied back, yeah, it is a '57 Plymouth Fury. Man, some parents teach their kids too much stuff!!! Amazing how smart kids can be.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  5. magnet

magnet

ok guys.. enough on the parking mishap.. lets move on.

6. magnet

magnet

Yeah, sponsors if you didn't get your packet.. we will mail it to you, next week after my feet stop hurting :)

My pop worked two jobs most of the time i was growing up, so we never worked on things together much, he never had time to have a hobby or anything. Now that he is retired, he picked up woodcarving and we found out how wonderfully talented he is. He has won ribbons and contests, some church wanted him to do a big jesus. He likes chainsaw carving, but got bit in the face a couple years back (big stitches) (my parents heat their house with wood) and now is a bit leary.
    He just did a relief of a bear, watercolored it.. its amazing. He has that uncanny ability to visualize in 3d and his hands work like a 3 axis mill :) Check my personal site once in a while, i post pics of his work sometimes, http://www.mikeferrari.com

I am going to start working the books and figuring out the spectator numbers tonight, so we should have a good idea of how many spectators we had in a week or two.

Remember, if you have some constructive suggestions or observations, pm or email me or one of the other czars or DW.

7. Pontiac35

Pontiac35
    from Wisconsin

Hope you got the piece of dipstick(not someone who doesn't know the difference) out of the oil pan. From the guy with the magnet.

8. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

mike, you have any idea how far the amtrak runs from the after party thing in nov??? were thinkin about bringin the kiddies and ridin the trian! kids would love it and its way faster!....

9. Hellfish

Hellfish

As for the bar Saturday night... well, Saturday nights have ALWAYS been lighter. This year there were more people at the bar than there EVER were on a Saturday at Fool's, but because the Red Cent was so big, the crowd spread out and it seemed like there were fewer people. I was a little disappointed, too, but the bands still rocked (if you missed the Nevermores, you really missed out!), got paid, the Red Cent was great and everyone had a good time. I think the fact that attendees were spread out across FIVE TOWNS didn't help matters any. Hopefully next year all the Morris hotels will be at full capacity again.

10. Pontiac35

Pontiac35
    from Wisconsin

It is Tuesday and I am still gassed from the show, just didn't know where to look next. The music was great, would have been nice to have that girl band (Pink?) from last year, need more food vendors almost starved to death waiting in line. Swap is getting better even if the prices aren't. Negative, got really hard to take pictures because of the crowd that brought all the money that allows you guys to put on a great show.

11. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

That was your Dad! Him and I had a nice conversation, he was showing us his hand carved bear "picture" and I noticed his little santa clips and he showed them to me telling me he was going to make them smaller then into earrings. I was extremely impressed with his talents, nice guy too. Please tell him Denise witht he purple convertible said "hi".

12. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I know there is Amtrak service downtown. The Thank You party is in Schaumburg. I'm sure we could figure something out. There is the Metra train that serves the suburbs, so it could be a little as switching trains at the station.

13. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Well I'm not sure which one of the Czars he belonged to, but I talked to a fella during the show who took claim to one of ya. He was really proud and was telling me how fast they grow up as I was pushing my little guy around. Very nice man and it was nice to talk to him. :)

14. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That's awesome! Had to be Magnet Sr, as my Dad had to stay home this year because my grandma had congestive heart failure on Friday. She's 98 and told him he should go to the Pileup anyway and not to worry about her! She's tough though. They let her out of the hospital yesterday.

15. Hellfish

Hellfish

Great news, Chad!

The Pinks were booked for Saturday night, but they broke up a month before the show. I couldn't convince them to do one last show.

As for food... we almost doubled the number of vendors we had from last year and ran out of places to put them! and it still wasn't enough!!!

16. I agree in full that the Red Cent is a MUCH better place than Fools to hold this event. The parking and cruising is tons better down there. I also agree that there were more people Sat than last year, but still not as many as you would think there would be. It was really nice having all our friends there and having the place to ourselves, just was hoping you would have had a better turnout.

One other thing I love about this show is the price. $75 hotel room, food is reasonable, $5 cover at the bar is pretty cheap for multiple bands, $10 food was good, however Sat I guess wasn't as good of deal as Friday night. 50's is getting outragous expensive. Keep this reasonable and it will get even larger.

17. At one point i was behind the foood trailers, i looked around, and it seemed everyone had a corndog. Mas, pas, kids, grandmas, everyone. I was surrounded by them. They were everywhere, and it seeemed they were in complete control.
    Giant corndogs.

18. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

yeah, im totally bringin food for sale next yr! they had to make a killin!!!!!! hell, i could make enough in one day to finish my coupe, the 53, put on our show, and finally get Shana that fancy indoor turlet fur the double wide! :)

19. I seconded you somewhere else about The Nevermores. They were superb and garnered some new fans in Indy. :cool:

20. Zanie

Zanie

I usually just lurk on this site, But i had to register to say:

WHAT AN AWESOME SHOW!

I cut my teeth on the Street Machine Nats in the 80s and early 90s.
    I've done Power Tour several times and been to a bunch of Goodguys shows............. but I gotta tell you
    THE PILEUP ROCKS!
    That show has such a great Vibe!
    I'll be back for years to come.

Thanks for making it happen!

21. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

My pleasure, anything you need just ask. I look forward to helping again next year...
    ...always good to see you, and great to meet Jim...he's a lucky guy...

22. magnet

magnet

Breeder, you would have to take the train to Galesburg.. then on towards chicago on the "Illinois Zephyr" then the closest station without going into the city would be naperville.

Let me know, one of us can probably pick you guys up.

23. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

probably>>>???? well, thats comforting!!!:D

so from the fairgrounds to the party is how long? tryin to figger out drivin or trainin!

24. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

It was a joke, he knew who did it and he kind of turned it around on us a bit. As we reveled in delight of our prank just knowing he would be calling us any minute bitching to come change it back so he could meet up with us for breakfast but we never heard a peep then he comes pulling in to our hotel like nothing happened and we go to breakfast all the while we are just dying for him to say something but he does'nt,then finally he mentions it and we bust out laughing. He's a good dude and that sedan is killer. All in good fun! We had all the stuff ready to book down there to change it back for you.

25. magnet

magnet

probably.. :) heheh

you know we got your back Breeder. :)

26. magnet

magnet

Thank you.

First, DW .. "the brains behind the operation" who acts like our buffer to keep us from strangling each other when the pressure is on :)

Second my Czar brothers, who are a driving force behind many aspects of traditional hot rods and customs. Whether its throwing together artwork for a HAMB calendar, building cars featured in Rod and Custom, preaching to the gold chainers in the industry about how "we think" Or just keeping things rolling with ideas, effort and help for everyone out there. They are the perfect storm of car guys and i am proud of them. The wives and girlfriends for listening to us all year long and pitching in at the show, my girl Queen Eileen is not afraid of hard work. :)

And the best for last.. the Pileup "Redshirts".. our own personal volunteer army. The pileup works because we have the manpower that loves what we all do. Its in their blood as well as ours and that is the magic that makes the show work. Its the thing that gives it the pileup "vibe". I am in awe of their effort and deeply humbled by their commitment...

Our redshirts rock.

The whole gazillion (.. that word again) people from the HAMB that showed up. The Suedes, Blacktop Barons, Kropdusters, Vagabonds, VooDoo Kings and all the other clubs, Bob K, Oldsignbob, Peter pan, Louverdude, breeder, Bob Bleed and his pop, the "KnuckleDraga Mafia", freakin Rashy..geeze my memory is bad.. i know i talked with more of you.. but its a blurr.

Big Ups to Tudor_Jeff for his serious hard work. Bob K for handling the toilet paper issues.
    "Bob.. pick someone you dont like, and have them do it... i guess that would be me" he said :) and Drew and his pop for providing the kindling for the pileup fire.

Thanks

27. Plowboy

Plowboy

It is tucked safely away at the moment. I wasn't feeling up to hauling it up there and babysitting it and a truck and trailer all weekend. Mainly I knew I was going to be too lazy to clean all of the dirt off of it afterwards. I like to focus on my drinking at the Pileup. ha ha ha

Johnny Sparkle cannot be fucked with.

28. I've said it before and I'll say again, from the first timer, this whole weekend was the best I have ever had. The Czars, the voluneers, the vendors, the food vendors, the paricipants and the spectators were terrific. GREAT JOB ALL!!!
    Later,
    Dick

29. What Magnet said...

RedShirts Rule

I love it. Magnet has always been good at coining nicknames... but this is one of the best he's come up with.

30. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

Is redshirt army like the Kiss army? Maybe we should have face paint next year.