Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sort of O/T, A flathead powered tractor.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2002p51, Oct 12, 2008.

1. 2002p51

2002p51

Saw this at a local car show yesterday:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It had the code "EAC" on the heads.

2. dzahm

dzahm
    from NC

THis looks like a "funk" conversion available back in the late 40s/early 50's. You couldve had a flat 6 or the 8 cyl. This ones hood looks a little diferent though so maybe a homebuilt conversion? These are very rare and worth a few bucks if its a real conversion. I have heard stories about how powerful these are- though not very useful as a tractor as you might imagine. I heard many transmissions/rear ends were destroyed due to the power increase. Anyone drive a 9N/2N/8N? My 2N steering and brakes are barely adequate for 15mph let alone 60+. Still I'd like to run it down a 1/8 mile for shits and giggles. The guy who thought this up had to be a hot rodder!

3. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

It is an 8N hood and they were one piece, that one has had the grille seperated and mounted seperately. I have seen a few, they must have converted thousands of them. I think many were used for airport tugs and the like. It's vool to see one hotrodded, there was some pics of one with finned aluminum heads and fenton headers.

4. HR Classic Cars

HR Classic Cars
    from Wylie, TX

There is one for sale in the Dallas area right now.. this is from Craigslist.. it's a flathead 6, but close enough.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/grd/851878768.html

fo sale - $3500 (kopperl tx)

Reply to: [email protected] [?]
    Date: 2008-09-23, 9:25AM CDT

I have a rare 8N tractor with a flathead 6 cyl. engine. This tractor has a blown engine but i have replacment motor. Has 8" extension on hood for a morestreamline look. Only a few of these tractors exist, few was made in World War II to pull B52's around tarmat.The flathead 6 is the same engine put in Ford Pickups from 1947-1952. This tractor is almost show quality, it has 0 dents or rust. With a little paint it could be show quality. It has new rubber all the way around, Contact me at 254-797-2550 or by cell 817-964-0087.

it's ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
    PostingID: 851878768

5. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

The EAC means 53 Mercury (at least thats what was in my 53 Merc) and that means a 255CI motor most likely. A lot of motor with 2x2 for a 8N tractor. I have seen a lot of flathead V8's in the old Ford tractors and it was a fairly common thing in the 50's, 60's to do the conversion. My dad had an old 8N and I was tempted to do that myself but never got around to it.

6. belair

belair

My 8n is jealous.

7. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Seen that done with the Lincoln V -12 too,,quite a site

8. LIMEY

LIMEY

9. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

I just went to an antique tractor show up in Temple last weekend. They had a couple of these tractors, and Stauffer still sells a conversion kit. The kit makes it stupid simple. I still like the flat 4 in our family's little 8N though. That thing rarely gets maintained and is always ready for work. The V8 would be damn fun though.

http://www.staufferv8.com/

10. 4-pot

4-pot

I've got a 2N with a 1942 6 cyl. in it . It's a homebuilt conversion so it's probably not worth much. It needs some TLC it's been sitting outside for years and I only use it about once a year.

11. 3Mike6

3Mike6

Speed is still limited to the RPMs of the engine, the tractors original rearend and tranny are still used.

I suspect you're right about breaking things though, probably (even with a stock V8) HP and torque increased 4x.

12. tomslik

tomslik

yes i have and you're right!
    brakes are barely usable on a 2n/9n as you can only hit the right side, usually coated with axle lube....

8N's were a little better than a 2n/9n but not by a lot
    got rid of mine for a TO30 fergy....
    better tractor for being basicly the same as a 8N..

13. Not off topic at all--swapping in an engine with 4x the power of the original sounds like a hot rod to me;-)

14. The US Navy had a bunch of V8 flathead tractors in the Norfolk/Newport News Shipyards as tugs and heavy duty work. They sound bitchin under a load. Saw them when I was a kid.

Bill

15. buikwag

buikwag
    1. Buick Nailheads

Here are a couple of pictures of a Flathead powered tractor, taken at a local get together her in SoCal.

Attached Files:

16. Truckedup

Truckedup

I had a 2N Ford tractor for awhile.I thought the engine was a Model A,but it's a unique block using Flathead V-8 parts.When I rebuilt it I threw out the sleeves,had the shop bore it for oversize V-8 pistons.Probably made 26 HP instead of the stock 25 HP :)
    Funk conversions show up at tractor and farm shows.

17. 3Mike6

3Mike6

Was that the same 4cyl used in the 40-ish PU's?

18. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I grew up on a farm. Starting driving the 8N when I was eight. Put on thousands of hours raking hay.

I have been pulling tractors for the past 25 years. I see quite a few flathead 8 powered 8N's pulling in the 3500 lbs. class. They are pretty competitive.

You could purchase a conversion kit directly from Ford in the day to switch to V8 power. They really tore up rear ends, though.

19. No. These conversions are essentially cradles that allow the V8 to be mounted in place of the original 4-cylinder, and provide the necessary mounting points for the front suspension, which was previously provided by the original engine block.