Register now to get rid of these ads!

How not too install a 4-link. (I need your help.)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steamboat, Oct 9, 2008.

1. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

That's what I thought too... :rolleyes:

I did last name on the chat...

I compared it to what i saw under the El Camino...

And that's the guy that did the El Camino...

It's like playing Clue

2. Flop

Flop

well atleast they used nice grade 8 bolts !!!!!!

3. timmer50

timmer50

If you have time, and if you don't, make time. Get ahold of you local DMV and ask if they have a company/person they use to inspect kit cars for a new title or that inspects vehicles to have a salvaged title removed after they have been wrecked and then repaired. Take the car to him/her and ask for an inspection and report. Take that to court with you.

Good luck. This guy needs to have his name published for ALL TO SEE! Think about it, you could save the life of another HAMBer or the avg. Joe in the oncoming lane!

timmer50

4. chad

chad

As a certified welder that weld's all day for a living I can tell you this fella has no clue as to what he is doing !!!....I could see if he tried to fab the stuff up and make it look decent and just tack it together and had a qualified person look at the design and let a qualified welder weld it...But their is no effort or safety concerns that went into that abortion...I am glad nothing broke while you were driving...Who know's what could have happened.....This guy should be called out on his work...Their is no need to do shoddy work like that and possibly hurt or kill someone....I would NOT let him fix the car if he offers to...Send it to a REAL builder have them fix it and then send him the bill....People like this piss me off...If you don't know how to do it just admit it not try and bull shit your way through it to make a few bucks.....Now its going to cost him alot more than what he made to install it in the first place...and rightfully so...fucking hack!!!

By the way that is a really neat car...Its to bad what he did to it..Post some pics of it when you get it all fixed....

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  5. That is positively one of the top 5 scariest things I've ever seen on a car. Right up there with the guy who built a stock car roll cage from swing set pipe. Good thing for sharp tech inspectors in that case.

6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Sheesh. I know Bryan and am ashamed of him. Wonder what Rudy is gonna think when he sees this. Wow....just wow.

7. solid

solid

At least after this thread people will either not buy from him, or go over it from top to bottom, if they do.

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I wouldnt be driving it until you get it put togeather right!
    if you are looking at those welds every day and know they dont look right..you should do something about it, before you dont have a chance to save it.
    Snap! is not a sound you want to hear at 70 MPH

9. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Very true! I replaced the suspension first thing, and nearly every other mechanical item on the car. It wasn't airbagged so no nightmares there. Not much cracking bondo and the car was built a few years ago, so it could be worse. I got about what I paid for, and the HAMBer that wired it did a really nice job, which I'm really greatful for!!! :)

Corners were cut, I bought it sorta cheap and it was built to ebay so gotta expect that. My gripe was the steering wheel didn't fit the splines on the shaft so it was hammered on and only "engaged" 1/4 or 3/8" , something like that. When I swapped the steering box I had a steering wheel puller and was ready to do battle removing that wheel but it basically fell off. it only held that long cuz of the smashed splines. No nut in the center to hold it down or anything.

How could you build/sell a car like that and sleep at night?!?

He helped me out with explaining some stuff, I'm greatful for that, but I just couldn't rationalize that steering wheel thing when I *know* he's the one that did it, he has pics of the car and build all over the hamb.

I also can't figure why he'd take a suspension job he couldn't do properly, knowing it put people in danger. I just gotta think he *REALLY* had an urgent need for money, like people that go to 24hr pawnshops have an urgent need for money.

I wish him well and hope he comes around.

And I hope the OP is able to collect what he's owed. It's just a shame all the way around.

OH! The welds I'm talking about aren't suspension, they're on the door!
    [​IMG]

10. Why do people buy welders and then never learn how to use them? It's not that hard really it's pretty easy to lay a good bead or spot weld body panels. If my a.d.d. ridden 12 year old nephew can figure it out a grown man should have no problems at all.

11. Johnny, I saw your post about the flimsy door the other day and just now put 2 and 2 together (Iused a drywall screw some twine and a lil JB WELD;)) and now realize the issues you face with that car.

12. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

LOL thanks Tman!

Yeah for some reason I keep thinking nothing else can surprise me...because at this point I know the car fairly well....and then I get another surprise LOL!

There's just so much work to be done...I try to prioritize the fires I'm putting out...LOL...but I fall short of the mark and wish I'd done one thing and not the other. Like, do I replace the wood screws holding the headlight buckets in or start welding on the doors or reenforcing the quarters or put in a hood latch?

At least it keeps me off the streeets ;-)

I'm gonna try and work those door frames tomorrow, but in the back of my mind I'm preparing myself to cut them off and start over.

And I will *NEVER* look underneath the primer if I can help it. Somethings are better left unseen!!! :D ;)

13. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

dammit.
    I mean...just dammit.

that was seriously dangerous shit. reminds me of a buddies 62 Continental that had every single peice that held the bags on to the rear end break off at once. ( it was basically a big "platform" welded to the rear end...sort of. there is no way to adequately describe the horrible shite that was on the ass of this car.) when the car fell over the rear end, the "platform" hit the ground and dug in, and started sliding- completely unloading the rear end, and the rear brakes at the same time. from what I understand, he was only doing 35 or so at the time, problem is, it was downhill and raining. a couple of 360's, a big guy screaming like a schoolgirl, and it finally came to rest in some unlucky bastards front yard. I say unlucky because the shrapnel took a pretty good chunk of gastank out. fortunately, the wet grass and street kept the gas ffrom going up, but unfortunately, the gas killed the crap out of this guys bermuda. in the end, he not only had to pay me to fix the car, but had to pay a landscaper to fix this guys yard. and pay for some new drawers, and upholstery where his butthole bit a chunk out of his drivers seat, but I digress.

that's pretty negligent shit right there. he has been a member for a long time, he knows what safe looks like. and that shit storm for sure isn't it.
    worst part is, if he had left the car alone on it's stock suspension, he probably would have gotten the same money for it. or just lowered it static.

14. Agree 100% Lux. You make a damn good point.

I took some heat for calling his shit out a couple years back. It pegged my BS meter so I said my mind. I want to know where all the folks that were defending him then are now?

This is the same crap that I mentioned in the Outcasts thread. Some day, some person will get killed because of shitty work like this.

And the fact he has been a longtime member here is embarassing to the board as a whole for the standards many of us try and keep.

15. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Honestly in looking at the weld quality, I'm wondering if they ground the metal before welding. A lot of those welds look suspiciously like what would happen if you tried to MIG over dirt, rust, & undercoating

16. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Maybe I'm outta line, but I'm really disappointed that DirtyT, as a HAMBer, did this to him. I know its not my fault, but I feel for the guy and he didn't do anything wrong, except trust someone that wasn't worthy of it.

I don't know John(Steamboat) personally, but my sense is that he's too humble to mention to everybody that he's only 24 and a veteran of a foreign war. I don't think soldiers make near what they deserve, so I'll bet this was a big dent to his pocketbook. Once I get his paypal address I'm gonna kick him a few bucks because I don't want him to think what happened to him is unremarkable. 99% of the people I've dealt with on here are ethical beyond reproach, and a bum job like he got is definitely not the norm.

Anybody that goes to fight overseas and takes this photo is alright by me:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

more pics here:

17. My guess is crappy Home Depot welder, dirty metal, bad ground, no gas, and the mindset of "I watched them do it on Monster Garage once so I can do that too".

18. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

I just hope the brakes and wiring on that car are working out okay for you!!! :eek::eek:

19. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

LOL FatHack!! I couldn't remember who did the wiring but like I said earlier I appreciate the nice job you did on it!!

20. Fathack.........for all the crap I threw his way over the years.......actually helped me wire the Touring with his input.

Upadate on life is due there Mr Fathack! what you been up to.

21. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Ha Ha...thanks, Dude! There were a few 'shortcuts' involved that I didn't like (mostly aesthetic), but the budget and the 'boss' trumped me, so I did the best I could with what was allotted!

But I never go NEAR a welder! Ha Ha, like Clint Eastwood says "A man's got ta know his limitations!" I can't surf, either...so I just don't do it! ;):)

Any current pictures of that car?

(It was a project that burned us both out, but for what little I was involved, I actually liked it!!)

22. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Ha Ha...because of YOU, Dude...I will ALWAYS proudly wear my "Poverty Rodder" Badge!! :p;):D:cool:

Seriously, I just realized that my true love (automotively speaking!) lies in musclecars and street machines...stuff not generally 'HAMB friendly', so I don't go on about it. Currently casually seeking either a 71-74 Javelin or a 71-72 Cutlass to play with next.

Got some other irons in the fire, and Life keeps me occupied. Spent a good deal of this past Summer driving CathyH's 51 Mercury to local cruise nights and such. It's about ready for the road, though..I'll be driving it to Oklahoma in the next couple weeks.

Them's the highlights, anyway!! :D:)

23. Well then.........my first car was a 71 Cutlass that Dad and my Mentor Dan Spain tought me paint and bodywork on. I should have gone into a life of crime since I had no fingerprints at that time due to wetsanding! i EARNED that car through blood sweat and tears. Didnt hurt that dad was sponsored by Dr Olds in 70 and had a factory ride to wreak havok on this NHRA Division. Got an Olds Service Guild patch here on the desk somewhere..............our family bleeds rocket fuel....

24. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Ha Ha...COOL!! :):cool:

Betchya find Warren Johnson somewhere in your family tree, too then!! :D

25. slamdpup

slamdpup

i didnt say invented them..i said perfected ..minitruckers has come up with some creative ways of use...truckers use them for load purposes not lowering to the ground or raising from sitting a little to low...but alot of people here are traditional and wouldnt use bags but also alot of people here also have been minitruckers or seen how the minitruckers use them..ya got me on the 4 link though...

26. I Drag

I Drag

Steamboat, I would DEMAND the $100 you must have paid for that job back immediately. Too bad, very cool car otherwise.

27. BadLuck

BadLuck

Hey...can you pm me his paypal address also when you get it? A guy like this who's out there bustin' their ass for our country, doesnt deserve shitty work like that....Im down to help out a little too......

28. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Holy cow, this is so much worse than Steamboat told us. He's had a really great attitude through 18 pages of this other thread, where he blogged his car adventures here. He's a young guy that did a tour in Iraq and came home excited to finally get to work on this car he's been dreaming about. He loves the thing, had his priest bless it in front of his church and everything, and it's just kinda gone to hell over this and he's out more than he paid for the car in the first place. I'm going out on a limb here but I'm guessing he saved up his money while he was in the service to get this done, because I don't think driving a forklift at a home improvement store pays for an airbag setup installed.

You have to read it in his own words, this goes with the bottom photo here "This shit is so depressing. This car has been my life's goal for over a year. The majority of the time I was in Iraq, this car was my desktop background. The whole time I've been home my life has been a constant journey to get this girl on the road. It's been nothing but bad luck. I know someday it will all work out and everything will be smooth. I suffer from mild depression so it seems like I will never get it going. We're trying to round a trailor up so I can get it over to Sethro's house where he will look it over. I can only laugh to keep from crying. I need some support from you guys for real. This shit is mad depressing.
    John
    "

John asked me not to post the link because he didn't want to embarass anybody involved. He totally got burned and he's worried about protecting others.

I guess that's what soldiers do. This guy has character. The full story really moved me, it's worth a look here.

His paypal is
    [email protected]
    to anybody that wanted to know. Thanks.
    [​IMG]
    Everyone was wondering why it was so low.

[​IMG]
    I had Fr. Gerald come out and give her a blessing!!!
    So I pop the swithces and head home. I liad it out in the driveway, grabbed a cold glass of lemonade, and just sat on the grass and stared at her for a good 20 minutes.

[​IMG]
    Smile now, cry later? Fuck that!! Cry now, get it over with and ride that shit.

SOMEDAY!!!!!

29. terryr

terryr
    from earth

I suddenly realize I can weld really well, compared to that guy. That's vandalism.

Oh well, it was good enough to get paid.