Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Is there a way to adjust for that end play?

2. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

The ball housing I am using takes an insert. I was thinking of machining a little off the top of the brass insert and a little off the retaining ring surface to tighten it up. The retaining ring does not have a ball shape on the inside, only a ring at the top. Maybe I am supposed to have an insert in the retaining ring also. Anybody know about these Torque ball inserts?

I have been trying to figure out how to put a starter an transmission in my midget project, but I think I just don't have the room. Motor plate to rear end center is only 34" and the motor plate is 16" in between the uprights. Any suggestions?

It is currently setup for a Chevy II

3. Racer12

Racer12

There is noy way to adjust this properly. Yes you could machine a little off of the housing and the retainer ring. But those parts are made to match the arc of the ball perfectly. I have worked on a '74 Edmunds midget that had a black plastic insert that went between the retainer ring and the ball. Most of my experience is with current sprints or midgets and there is no adjustment possible. It could be done in theory but how well it will work I can not say.

Bob Shutt

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The last one I messed with was on the i/o box, but I don't think the motor plate mounted ones are much different. I would have to agree with Racer 12 though, I think if you start milling things down, the ball won't rotate too freely, but it might worth a try. (?)
    Some years back, USAC thought self starting cars was a good idea and several mfgs started making the parts to do that and I think Tilton was one. The idea went over like a lead balloon, so there should some of those parts collecting dust still around. Basically it was a tiny flywheel and clutch with the starter mounted inside the motor plate just above the ball joint. I'll look around and see if I can find a pic.

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Here's a ad from about 10 yr. ago.

Attached Files:

6. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

They didn't work worth a shit, I've still got some somewhere

"Doc" Parsons

7. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

I have seen the Tilton set up before, but I have heard they are crazy$$$ and that they really don't work that well. I think a setup like that may be my only option though.

I thought about putting a mini sprint motorcycle engine in sideways and running a chain from the drive sprocket to another axle that has the u joint on it. May be more trouble than it is worth.

If anybody has one of these Tilton starter setups I am interested.

8. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

That thing is cool! I need to find one of those. That looks like a better system than the tilton Hydraulic one. I have new hope.

9. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Are you familiar with Kenyon Cars ?

10. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

I have looked at the Kenyon cars. They run an engine configuration like I am talking about, accept the engine hangs out the left side of the car. I am trying to keep everything under the hood to keep the vintage look.

11. 8889coupe

8889coupe

im having the same problem, i have my champ car thats missing the flywheel and starter, i do have a multi-disc 7 1/2 in clutch i have the big bellhousing cae in&out box it has the clutch fork inside and the shaft that goes through it, my car has the hand clutch on the outside of the frame, do any of you guys know what kind of setup that was, and also what flywheel and starter would they have ran with that small clutch, do i need a adapter that goes between the bellhousing and the motor plate.

12. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Another option that comes to mind is the Bert/Brinn transmissions with the internal clutches, I believe one or the other has a set up for open wheel cars. I suspect you'll probably want to be sitting down when you ask the price.

Attached Files:

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Aren't most Champ cars remote started ?

14. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Those are cool but man, $$$ I could build another rolling chassis for less than the trans. Time to start checking out the Late model classifieds.

That TCR setup is the my best bet if I can find one.

15. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Another option that comes to mind is the Ford Focus midgets. I really don't know anything about them but I think they are self starting (?) Maybe their system could be adapted ? Just a thought.

16. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Did a quick search over on Midget Madness. Don't know your budget for the engine but this may be a good deal if you don't mind having a Ford under the hood.(?)

<TABLE class=ipbtable cellSpacing=1><TBODY><TR><TD class=post2 vAlign=top>
    [​IMG]
    </TD><TD class=post2 id=post-main-9301 vAlign=top width="100&#37;"><!-- THE POST 9301 -->Focus midget engine in very good shape. Fuel system cleaned & oil changed, after every race. Motor has about 30 races on it. Has a new flywheel, starter, & clutch. Comes complete ready to go in car and run strong! Also have shipping crate. $ 4,000.00. Call : 267-664-0300. Located in Hatfield, Pa.
    <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_9301--><!-- THE POST --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

17. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

The Ford focus setup is plan B. They are a little wide, but I may be able to cram it in. The TCR Clutch and starter setup is really exactly what I am looking for. I guess that is my new "holy Grail", the hunt is on.

18. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

You dont really need to put a starter on that car unless you really want to. They would have used a starter shoved in the front of the car going all the way back to the crank snout.. I'm sure Some guys ran starters, but the starter out the front is just SO DAMN COOL!! Plus.. none of them wanted the wieght of a Battery, so, if your gonna lug a big ass battery out to start it everytime, you might as well shove a starter in it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, of coarse for Vintage meets, a starter makes the whole deal smoother, so.. Its up to you.

On a side note, at the Hoffman farm auction a few years back, I bought the Hoffmans old "Starter Cart" It is hand built, on wheels with a pull handle that steers the front wheels and has all the correct stickers from the erra.. No body wanted it, I think we gave $12 dollars for it!:D

JD

19. 8889coupe

8889coupe

thanks for the info. i dont have a spot in the grill for one those starters, i think they ran a early chrysler starter bolted to the motor plate. Any how im stoked about going to indy tommorrow to spend the day with Old Bob Harkey and AJ Watson, ill try to get some photos of some cool old race cars up there, this will be my first time meeting Watson

20. Racer12

Racer12

21. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Great photos as usual, Josh.

22. jaracer

jaracer

I just found this forum and the pictures are great. I ran sprint cars in the midwest from 74 - 87. Most around Springfield, Il, but I used to run some USAC shows. My original driver just passed away last week at 78, Jim Moughan. He was a great slick track driver. I'll post some pictures of Jim in some IMCA cars including Honore's Black Duece.

23. Joshua, Here is a photo of the original remote starter........battery not included.
    Gene
    :D

Attached Files:

24. Racer12

Racer12

25. Racer12

Racer12

[​IMG]

found this on a Fri. art thread on the HAMB

26. I have #1 too. I've seen them sell for a $bunch$.

27. jimg12

jimg12

In 1942 my Dad bought a new rope to take to the track to start his car [the Southern Star]. Every winter he would put it up and use it the next year. When he sold the car he kept the rope. Starting[pulling] race cars was the only thing that I know of it was ever used for.I still have it.
    Jim Graybeal

28. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Thats what its all about! I love seeing things like that in guys collections that only "We" understand.. To everyone else, it's just a damned old rope.

Harley Gene.. Heard you had a good visit at dads! ..and those other pics you sent me are great! You gotta start posting some!

(We'll keep this between us, but if these guys find out your sitting on Hundreds, if not a THOUSAND old photo's, they'll go NUTS!! So I wont say anything... Ha ha):eek::eek::eek:

What are friends for!

JD

29. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

I can't remember my name half the time so bare with me.
    Back in the mid 70's there was a guy that used to reun WoO at Eldora, he had some older sprint cars.
    Anyway I was at his place and he started one of the Sprinters with a cartridge (Shotgun) starter. Me being in the Air Force I really didn't think too much about it because I learned about those in Tech School in the 60's and worked on a number of planes that had them and had seen some backup starters on bigger trucks.
    I think the were Coffman or Kauffman? units

30. OK,OK, I'll start posting some old B&W pics. This is Ned Shoemaker at the old Greenville Speedway in Greenville, Ohio about 1940.

Attached Files: